Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of team will this be on offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: What kind of team will this be on offense

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I think this year will be very interesting to see what kind of team we are. The league rules are clearly written to favor the passing game and scoring. I really never see us becoming pass happy (whatever that is), but consider the following:

1. We just signed a franchise QB for $102M. I don't think we did this for him to hand off the ball.

2. We have spent premium picks in the last two to three years for players who add to a pasing attack. Holmes and Sweed at WR, Miller and Spaeth at TE and Mendenhall at RB (who has shown in college he catch the ball).

The question before the group is how much do we pass and how much do we run? Outside the box, I really think that Ben would be the perfect QB to run a more west coast style offense focusing on short to intermediate range passes. He to me is very much a Brett Favre clone and clearly has the weapons now. Are we going in this direction this year? Would we take the AFC by surprise and would this jump us up to the top with the Patriots and Indy?

The thing I really like about this approach is that it gets the ball out of the QB's hands faster thereby taking the pressure off the OL to sustain blocks.

I also hope we didn't sign Ben to 102 million dollars to have him throw the football all over the field. I'm hoping they signed him to 102 million dollars, because, Ben will win a lot of football games, regardless, of how the job gets done.

Wins are what make me happy and if Ben wins games and only throws the ball 20 times a game that's still money well invested. I'd rather win in any fashion than show of our brand new shiny car just to show it off.

But, hey, that's me, a good investment is a good investment and winning games will be the ultimate test of the 102 million invested. I'd hate to be losing games and have Ben throwing for 5,000 yards (yippee, Ben is great, but, the Steelers suck...not for me).

Pappy
    Of course winning is the default assumption. All else is fluff. The point is it seems that based on our current composition the "old" way isn't the "best" way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I think this year will be very interesting to see what kind of team we are. The league rules are clearly written to favor the passing game and scoring. I really never see us becoming pass happy (whatever that is), but consider the following:

1. We just signed a franchise QB for $102M. I don't think we did this for him to hand off the ball.

2. We have spent premium picks in the last two to three years for players who add to a pasing attack. Holmes and Sweed at WR, Miller and Spaeth at TE and Mendenhall at RB (who has shown in college he catch the ball).

The question before the group is how much do we pass and how much do we run? Outside the box, I really think that Ben would be the perfect QB to run a more west coast style offense focusing on short to intermediate range passes. He to me is very much a Brett Favre clone and clearly has the weapons now. Are we going in this direction this year? Would we take the AFC by surprise and would this jump us up to the top with the Patriots and Indy?

The thing I really like about this approach is that it gets the ball out of the QB's hands faster thereby taking the pressure off the OL to sustain blocks.

I also hope we didn't sign Ben to 102 million dollars to have him throw the football all over the field. I'm hoping they signed him to 102 million dollars, because, Ben will win a lot of football games, regardless, of how the job gets done.

Wins are what make me happy and if Ben wins games and only throws the ball 20 times a game that's still money well invested. I'd rather win in any fashion than show of our brand new shiny car just to show it off.

But, hey, that's me, a good investment is a good investment and winning games will be the ultimate test of the 102 million invested. I'd hate to be losing games and have Ben throwing for 5,000 yards (yippee, Ben is great, but, the Steelers suck...not for me).

Pappy
    Of course winning is the default assumption. All else is fluff. The point is it seems that based on our current composition the "old" way isn't the "best" way.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

They will continue to pass in order to set up the run.

SteelerSal1

I'm all for destroying teams, but I would rather see them control the clock and make all of their drives count and leave the opposing teams offense off the field and our defense off of the field.
    We all remember 2002 when we scored 30pts but our defense played 3 quarters of ball(exageration, but you get where I'm getting getting at).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I like that shiznit.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Right now I think they should still rely a little more on the run. Especially with the addition of Mendenhall. It appears we have 2 possibly 3 backs that can do very well. The biggest area of strength in this team may be RB. My other point is it is probably easier for any Oline to run block as opposed to pass block. They should probably run a little more till they can get the Oline and pass protection to play a little better.

I think the bottom line is the offense should be able to do what ever is necessary to win a game. Run or pass, just win baby.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I like that shiznit.
    Dude! :P

Legend

User Info Menu

As of right now the old way has 5 Super Bowls and any other way has zero Super Bowls. Until, I see the Steelers handing the Lombardi Trophy to Druckenmiller :P by passing more than they run I'll take the old way.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I believe they will want to be balanced, but the sub-par line will keep the running game from being a consistent threat, thus putting the burden on Ben & the passing game. Surely there will be games which either - or both - Parker or Mendenhall are dominant, but like last year, it will be sporadic. Ben will be counted on to bail the team out with his passing & usual "sandlot" contribution.

But what I would like to see is Tomlin turn this team into a mind-numbing, soul-grinding running attack that rips the spirit from every team we face with Mendenhall being that once-in-a-generation back that everyone wants on their team. I would like to see a passing game that plays off of that running game without getting "cute" (you hear me Arians?!?) - especially in the "red-zone". I want to see Heath Miller even more involved in the game plan & Sweed to make everyone regret passing him up. I want to see a defense that is truly physically dominant, where offenses look silly even trying. I want to see Woodley & Silverback in opponent's backfields so much that Lawrence Taylor's name is invoked on a weekly basis. I want to see Troy be the All-Pro we know he can be & Ike Taylor to become elite. And last, but not least - I want the special teams to be special...or least better-than average...please.

And almost more than anything else besides winning the Super Bowl & for Ben to be the league MVP, I want to drub the Pat*s this year & I want Anthony Smith to be the hero. I want him to torment Brady so much that he sees Smith in his dreams from his hospital bed & Belichek has to praise him for his play.

Other than that, I don't expect much...but I'll predict 10-6 & an AFC North Championship.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think that the offense will rely on Big Ben even more this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see a New England type offense with lots of three and four wide out sets. I think that the advantage that the team does have is that they will have the ability to run the ball when needed (that is why the two backs are so important). The team will be able to mix it up better with Mendy and Parker complimenting each other. It seemed at times last year that Parker just couldn't get in a groove b/c he is a one trick pony (a good one but....) I think Mendenhall will help this team re-establish what has made the Steelers so successful over the last 19 years and that is being able to grind it out in the 4th quarter.

My question regarding the offense is of course the O Line, I hope that we can see some better consistency this year from the group over all. I guess we will just have to wait and see. As much as AF did for this franchise his play has not been the same since '05, I remember a play last year in Denver where he looked so bad I was embarrased for him, and it seemed that alot of pressure came right over AF and Mahan all year. If it was my choice I would go like this:

LT: Marvel
    LG: Colon
    C: Hartwig
    RG: Simmons
    RT: Starks

I believe we need to find a way to put our best 5 on the field and this seems like the logical choice.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>