Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone got an opinion to what Happened to Franco in 78?

SteelerSal1

Re: Anyone got an opinion to what Happened to Franco in 78?

"Harris signed with the Seahawks in early September 1984 to replace star running back Curt Warner, who was lost to a season-ending knee injury in the season opener. But while Harris got the money he had wanted from Pittsburgh, estimated at $550,000 to $600,000, the Seahawks didn't get the running back they sought."

[url]http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/02/03/franco_harris_ended_career_with_seahawks/[/url]

I was totally sick to my stomach when Franco signed with the Seahawks. I'm thankfull that at least he did'nt hold a grudge and he still considers himself a Steeler for life.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal1
    "Harris signed with the Seahawks in early September 1984 to replace star running back Curt Warner, who was lost to a season-ending knee injury in the season opener. But while Harris got the money he had wanted from Pittsburgh, estimated at $550,000 to $600,000, the Seahawks didn't get the running back they sought."

[url]http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/02/03/franco_harris_ended_career_with_seahawks/[/url]

I was totally sick to my stomach when Franco signed with the Seahawks. I'm thankfull that at least he did'nt hold a grudge and he still considers himself a Steeler for life.
    Thanks Steeler Sal1. That was a good read with good information. I don't remember ever reading Franco's sentiments in the matter. The article actually made me feel better after all these years.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSal1

As I recall Franco fired his agent for not accepting the Steeler's offer. Evidently Franco was out of the country/'on vacation when the Steelers made their final offer. The agent turned that offer down and the rest is history ... sad history.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOracle
    All I know is that he wasn't too impressive when he started playing for Seattle.

SO
    he averaged only 2.6 Yards per carry in 3 games with the Seahwks.

Chemsteel

Every football player here realizes the main, contributing reason for a running backs decline in performance; it is injury and pain.

It always amazes me how some ex players (Jim Brown) can criticize a guy like Franco for running out of bounds or going down easy. Franco had more cracked bones and pulled muscles than any of the guys but he continued to play. The only injury that hurt him most were the cracked ribs. He had to be dressed even to sit on the sidelines.

Ask Coach Hoak about Franco.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOracle
    All I know is that he wasn't too impressive when he started playing for Seattle.

SO

Agreed, but that was one of my favorite football cards ever for Franco though. Least Valuable, but I loved it as a kid. And to this day I truly don't know why.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

SeaOracle

Here he was sort of a curiosity. Everyone admired him, but we all knew he had nothing left in the tank. It was like when we had Pele come to town to play for a game. It's always great to see a legend come to your town. This brings to mind what Favre is doing. What is he doing anyway? He's going to end up looking pretty sad if he doesn't watch out.

SO