Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an opinion to what Happened to Franco in 78?

Anyone got an opinion to what Happened to Franco in 78?

I just got done watching the 1978 and 1979 SB's in their original broadcast. A friend
    of mine put them on a DVD for me. They even include the pre game, halftime, an post
    game shows. Kind of cool to watch it all happen again in real game mode and not just highlight videos. At any rate, I also pulled up the stats on the computer while I was watching the game. I noticed something very bizarre. It is so bizarre, that I am not sure that the 78 team was the best of their teams. Check this out.

Franco Harris Career YPC averages

72 = 5.6
    73 = 3.7
    74 = 4.8
    75 = 4.8
    76 = 3.9
    77 = 3.9
    78 = 3.5
    79 = 4.4
    80 = 3.8
    81 = 4.1
    82 = 4.3

Listed above is the yards per carry averages for Franco throughout his prime. For the life of me I cannot figure out why he bottomed out in 1978. We know that in 1978 the passing game opened up due to the 5 yard chuck rule. But I just can't see why that would hurt Franco's YPC average. If anything, you would like to think better passing game might open stuff up for the run. Anyone care to take a guess what happened?

Backup

Re: Anyone got an opinion to what Happened to Franco in 78?

Just a wild guess, but your stats from Franco's later years kind of reflect what I remember. Instead of hitting the hole Franco began picking and stutter stepping. His delays of course cost him yardage. He just didn't seem to run nearly as hard. Maybe your videos reflect this.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

Not a clue Msm... Maybe they were using the passing game more, so more focus was placed by opposing defenses. Yes, yes, yes, I know what you're thinking, but as the prime target coming out of the backfield whe they did run a rushing play, he could have drawn more emphasis, thus shut-down more often.

I agree with Hosss' opinion about Francos' "later years", and maybe part of that was to to the team change as well as age taking it's course...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Just a wild guess, but your stats from Franco's later years kind of reflect what I remember. Instead of hitting the hole Franco began picking and stutter stepping. His delays of course cost him yardage. He just didn't seem to run nearly as hard. Maybe your videos reflect this.
    Hoss, I hear ya. I remember Franco and the Dancing as we called it. But what I find bizarre is that he bottomed out in 78, yet came back with 4.4 and a few more years of 4.0 +. I am wondering if there was an injury or a change i nthe offensive line for the 78 season. Maybe even the 76 & 77 season too.If you look at the curve , his went from 4.8 in 74, 75, to 3.9 (big drop) in 76 & 77, to the cellar in 78 (3.5) , then back up (4.4) 79.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHoss
    Hoss, I hear ya. I remember Franco and the Dancing as we called it. But what I find bizarre is that he bottomed out in 78, yet came back with 4.4 and a few more years of 4.0 +. I am wondering if there was an injury or a change i nthe offensive line for the 78 season. Maybe even the 76 & 77 season too.If you look at the curve , his went from 4.8 in 74, 75, to 3.9 (big drop) in 76 & 77, to the cellar in 78 (3.5) , then back up (4.4) 79.

I was thinking the same thing about the OL, too, MSM, if only because Rocky's YPC was below 4.0 as well. I was looking for some info, and could not find anything. So I guess the only person with that answer is Franco.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Not saying this had anything to do with it, but all this turmoil happened in 77 and in the offseason before 78.

Ernie Holmes was acquitted of cocaine possession charges; Chuck Noll was cleared of charges brought by George Atkinson over the "criminal element" remarks; and Mel Blount dropped his defamation lawsuit against Noll for including him in the "criminal element," which happened under questioning by Atkinson's lawyer.

In spite of it all, in the NFL, it's turmoil in the locker room that affects the on-field product, and there was plenty at Three Rivers Stadium. A rookie died in a car accident during training camp, Jack Lambert held out, Mel Blount held out. Glen Edwards, Jimmy Allen, Ernie Holmes all moaned about money. Guys walked out and came back, and Noll took them back.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    Not saying this had anything to do with it, but all this turmoil happened in 77 and in the offseason before 78.

Ernie Holmes was acquitted of cocaine possession charges; Chuck Noll was cleared of charges brought by George Atkinson over the "criminal element" remarks; and Mel Blount dropped his defamation lawsuit against Noll for including him in the "criminal element," which happened under questioning by Atkinson's lawyer.

In spite of it all, in the NFL, it's turmoil in the locker room that affects the on-field product, and there was plenty at Three Rivers Stadium. A rookie died in a car accident during training camp, Jack Lambert held out, Mel Blount held out. Glen Edwards, Jimmy Allen, Ernie Holmes all moaned about money. Guys walked out and came back, and Noll took them back.
    Glad I was too young to get interested in the drama back then.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

SeaOracle

All I know is that he wasn't too impressive when he started playing for Seattle.

SO

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by SeaOracle
    All I know is that he wasn't too impressive when he started playing for Seattle.

SO
    That was a sad move all the way around.
    I thought back then, and still do today Franco should have let it go and hung em up.

Backup

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaOracle

SO
    That was a sad move all the way around.
    I thought back then, and still do today Franco should have let it go and hung em up.

Yes it was a sad time. Does anyone remember what Franco got to sign with Seattle?
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks