Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Be Careful How You Vote...

Hall of Famer

Be Careful How You Vote...

This one is a little different.. Two Different Versions! Two Different Morals!

OLD VERSION: The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away. Come winter, the ant is warm and well fed.

The grasshopper has no food or shelter, so he dies out in the cold.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be responsible for yourself!

-------------------------------------------

MODERN VERSION:

The ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed, while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN, and ABC show up to provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper next to a video of the ant in his comfortable home, with a table filled with food. America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on Oprah with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing, 'It's Not Easy Being Green.'

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the ant's house, where the news stations film the group singing, 'We shall overcome.' Jesse then has the group kneel down to pray to God for the grasshopper's sake.

Nancy Pelosi & John Kerry exclaim in an interview with Larry King, that the ant has gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts, the Economic Equity & Anti-Grasshopper Act, retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal judges, that Bill Clinton appointed from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.

The ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the ant's food, while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow. The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be careful how you vote in 2008

Re: Be Careful How You Vote...

NKy, I can write a book on the shit I see everyday at work. Things are so backwards
    it's disgusting. I understand that people need help, and there's a few good people who
    want to improve their lives, but the majority of people on welfare (the grasshopper) are
    the stereotypes who leech off the system and the taxpayers, and have no interest in
    getting off the system. Meanwhile, they have 8 children and the cycle continues.

I'd like to stop now, but there's one more thing I have to say: The thing that pisses me
    off the most is that I have to break my back working two jobs for medical coverage while
    the grasshopper is taken care of much better than me.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    NKy, I can write a book on the shit I see everyday at work. Things are so backwards
    it's disgusting. I understand that people need help, and there's a few good people who
    want to improve their lives, but the majority of people on welfare (the grasshopper) are
    the stereotypes who leech off the system and the taxpayers, and have no interest in
    getting off the system. Meanwhile, they have 8 children and the cycle continues.

I'd like to stop now, but there's one more thing I have to say: The thing that pisses me
    off the most is that I have to break my back working two jobs for medical coverage while
    ... Amen!

BIG FAN

I see it everyday at work also, people making twice as much as most of us, driving up in Mercedes Benz's and then coming into the office with medical insurance all of the rest of us taxpayers have provided for the sake of helping those who have not. Whats more infuriating is most times than not the people who are clearly defrauding the system appear to have the most attitude as well.
    I dont think anyone who gets elected this year will do anything more than wide sweeping lip-service reform, if at all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    Whats more infuriating is most times than not the people who are clearly defrauding the system appear to have the most attitude as well.
    I hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN

I see it everyday at work also, people making twice as much as most of us, driving up in Mercedes Benz's and then coming into the office with medical insurance all of the rest of us taxpayers have provided for the sake of helping those who have not. Whats more infuriating is most times than not the people who are clearly defrauding the system appear to have the most attitude as well.
    I dont think anyone who gets elected this year will do anything more than wide sweeping lip-service reform, if at all that much.
    I could tell you guys sooooooo many stories from working(and unfortunately living) in a low-income apartment complex.Honestly,I wouldn't know where to begin........

[quote=Les 74]
    Quote Originally Posted by "BIG FAN":9z99znur

I could tell you guys sooooooo many stories from working(and unfortunately living) in a low-income apartment complex.Honestly,I wouldn't know where to begin........ [/quote:9z99znur]

You work...you do your best to make ends meet. I salute those that try in our current environment of national sloth. I have great respect for the working poor because they could take the easy way out. Up until recently I had a tremendous amount of distain for those that work the system. I realized though that its misdirected anger. Many people are always going to try to find the easy way out. We should be mad at the govermental policies that allow such nonsense to take place.

Everytime I hear about tax breaks for the rich I want to scream. Rich is considered 80K household income. 80K+ pay 95% of the taxes. Do people want us to give tax breaks to those that don't pay taxes? Or pay virtually no taxes?

Sometimes I think I live in the Twighlight zone. And unfortunately some of our politicians will not be happy until we live in the Soviet States of North America.

Did the Ant and Grasshopper grow up in the same area, with the same parents? Were both taught the same set of ideals and work ethic from their parents? Did they attend the same schools? My point is did they both have identical chances to succeed?

Each child born in this country should have equal opportunities to succeed. And that is not the case in this country.

I know you guys are all part of Steeler nation but I am unsure what you know about the Pittsburgh area. But a child that grows up and attends Fox Chapel already has a better chance of success, than a child who grows up on the North Side and attends the Pittsburgh city schools. Just in the quality of education alone, and we haven't even brought up parental controls, or lack there of, nor have we touched upon the sociological differences between the neighborhoods.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

I 100% agree with that statement. However, is the solution...to set up a system that supports sloth? It' is the reason I am in favor of some sort of affirmative action especially with college admittance. The socioeconomic situation of an individual should be taken in consideration. We need a system of a hand up...not a hand out. We need systems in place that help people better themselves...not systems that support dependency. The current system creates a greater rift between the classes. It creates more distain...laziness...dependency and enablers. We will never make things completely fair...and honestly who ever said life is fair? All we can do is try to feed money into systems that promote the improvement of individuals...education, jobs etc. Where do you get this money? By dismantling the current welfare system and restructuring it to encourage hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    Did the Ant and Grasshopper grow up in the same area, with the same parents? Were both taught the same set of ideals and work ethic from their parents? Did they attend the same schools? My point is did they both have identical chances to succeed?

Each child born in this co

untry should have equal opportunities to succeed. And that is not the case in this country.

I know you guys are all part of Steeler nation but I am unsure what you know about the Pittsburgh area. But a child that grows up and attends Fox Chapel already has a better chance of success, than a child who grows up on the North Side and attends the Pittsburgh city schools. Just in the quality of education alone, and we haven't even brought up parental controls, or lack there of, nor have we touched upon the sociological differences between the neighborhoods.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

One thing is for sure...America can't tolerate too many more bad Presidencies.

America needs better Presidents...and no more Residents.

Not so sure that either of the "finalists" don't give us more of the latter from the previous paragraph.

One thing to keep in mind...as you go to the polls in November it's not just about Obama v. McCain. It's also:

Who are you voting for Senator?...for Congress?...for Governor?...for the State House?...for Mayor?...for Council?...for Judge?...for Dog Catcher?

Simply put, all the offices are important and it is up to Americans to be responsible for who will lead them at all levels of government.

Tip O'Neill had it right...all politics are local!

Vote Responsibly Americans and Steeler Fans!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!