Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steeler LB Corp is rated only #12 in the NFL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Steeler LB Corp is rated only #12 in the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    My heart agrees with you, but my head thinks Foote is not going to go down with out of fight. I am so excited to see this battle in camp. This is good problem to have if your name is Keith Butler.
    BL, I was not a supporter of the Timmons pick. And my opinion is still in decision-mode about him.... I just want to see him do good before placing any "B-word" labels on him. Hell, Troy didn't do anything during his rookie year, as is the MO with most of the Steelers.... So I'm just hoping....
    Who did you wanna see picked in the draft last year instead of Timmons?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Who did you wanna see picked in the draft last year instead of Timmons?
    I'll be honest, I don't remember who was available back then two drafts ago... But I didn't expect him to be the one, and I was shocked when it happened. I talked to several board members on the phone that day, and that was the prevalent feeling... Like I said, I want to see him do well, and really hope he does.

Starter

User Info Menu

12th??????

Is this guy serious? Wasn't our D ranked 1st most of last year? From what I read on these boards, our D line is old and has no depth, our corners are mediocre, and Troy is always out of position, and the rest of the safeties are either slow, injured or inconsistant at best.

So it's pretty obvious that our LB's still control our destiny, and wasn't our D ranked 1st most of last year? (oh yeah, I already said that). We upgraded by losing Haggans, and having Woodley starting.

I would say he is on mark with what he wrote about us, but at the same time his rankings are off base. 12th???????? Are you kidding me? Yes we don't have Ware, or Merriman, (but we might with Woodley), but he is not ranking LB corps, he is ranking single big named backers, then a couple of the guys that help them. We don't have a big named backer currently, but we have a group that is way more productive that a single big named player.

How do these guys keep their jobs?

Backup

User Info Menu

My heart agrees with you, but my head thinks Foote is not going to go down with out of fight. I am so excited to see this battle in camp. This is good problem to have if your name is Keith Butler.
    BL, I was not a supporter of the Timmons pick. And my opinion is still in decision-mode about him.... I just want to see him do good before placing any "B-word" labels on him. Hell, Troy didn't do anything during his rookie year, as is the MO with most of the Steelers.... So I'm just hoping....

I agree, I was not a Timmons advocate either on draft day. But he is now in the Black and Gold so I will root for him just like anybody else.

I was one of those Revis advocates back then.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree, I was not a Timmons advocate either on draft day. But he is now in the Black and Gold so I will root for him just like anybody else.

I recall pulling for Poz to be pikced by the Steelers. My info on Timmons was limited & I just kept trying to convince myselft that the FO knows what there doing.

Backup

User Info Menu

I recall pulling for Poz to be pikced by the Steelers. My info on Timmons was limited & I just kept trying to convince myselft that the FO knows what there doing.
    Being a PSU grad I was pulling for POZ too, but I really wanted Revis and not just for his ball skills, but as a returner too.

I also kept trying to convince myself that the Steeler Brass knew what they were doing.

And quite frankly, the jury is still out.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

True. Personally, I feel more optimistic about him right now than I did a year ago. One reason for this is reading quotes from Larry Foote thinking his PT may be cut into by Timmons. I'm hopefull that he can show us good things in Latrobe.

Backup

User Info Menu

True. Personally, I feel more optimistic about him right now than I did a year ago. One reason for this is reading quotes from Larry Foote thinking his PT may be cut into by Timmons. I'm hopefull that he can show us good things in Latrobe.

Agreed. It is those quotes that make me feel Foote is not going to just roll over and let Timmons have it. That should be a good battle in camp. And as I said earlier, that is a good problem to have if you are Butler.

SeaOracle

This topic interests me because, not really having a way to personally compare teams at this position, I just hear through the grapevine who's got the top groups. I can't get access to the Insider article so I don't know the top 12 list. I have an idea Seattle's LBs are in the top 5 because two are all pro. But like several of you have said, Pittsburgh must have a comparatively good group. The question is, can someone on the board give us an analysis of the top 12 that isn't biased by the typical media hype? For example, teams with a big name draft pick who's had a lot of exposure tend to get higher ratings and the unsung heroes get ignored. This is a pet peeve of mine. I mean, how did the Giants appear out of nowhere to win the SB? Didn't the media completely overlook them? As for LBs, you have to assume that every team has at least one very good one. So the question is whether a team has a special LB, or a group that's uniformly good. Then there's speed and coverage ability vs power and rush ability. In some ways these are apples and oranges. What do y'all think about these rating questions?

SO