Thread: Passing Time...What Realistic Trade to Improve the Steelers?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Passing Time...What Realistic Trade to Improve the Steelers?

Bored...very bored . So for fun I started thinking about what trades the Steelers could realistically make to improve the team. I started out thinking that obviously both offensive & defensive linemen come to mind, but some out there might think there are other areas that might need some shoring up as well. I'll throw out a few possibilities like...

1. Anthony Smith (S) for Shaun Cody (DET-DL) - A trade that helps both teams as Detroit's secondary is a mess & Cody pays more like 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DL that Marinelli prefers.

2. Mahan (OL) for Elton Brown (AZ-OL) - This trade works for Cards because they have no depth behind a good group of starters. Mahan would be a good swing player for them, capable of backing up the three interior spots. Brown, a disappointment as a West Coast lineman, could focus in as a road-grading guard for us.

3. Nate (WR) for Rod Wright (MIA-DL) & a 6th - This clears up the 3rd WR spot & Nate's status next year while giving us a big, young DE as a back-up.

So what would you guys do?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Passing Time...What Realistic Trade to Improve the Steelers?

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Bored...very bored . So for fun I started thinking about what trades the Steelers could realistically make to improve the team. I started out thinking that obviously both offensive & defensive linemen come to mind, but some out there might think there are other areas that might need some shoring up as well. I'll throw out a few possibilities like...

1. Anthony Smith (S) for Shaun Cody (DET-DL) - A trade that helps both teams as Detroit's secondary is a mess & Cody pays more like 3-4 DE than a 4-3 DL that Marinelli prefers.

2. Mahan (OL) for Elton Brown (AZ-OL) - This trade works for Cards because they have no depth behind a good group of starters. Mahan would be a good swing player for them, capable of backing up the three interior spots. Brown, a disappointment as a West Coast lineman, could focus in as a road-grading guard for us.

3. Nate (WR) for Rod Wright (MIA-DL) & a 6th - This clears up the 3rd WR spot & Nate's status next year while giving us a big, young DE as a back-up.

I like the Mahan trade you suggested. I would approve a trade of Mahan for a bag of Combos.

Like you, I'm bored also. Just think, this time a week from Monday we will have all sorts of training camp fodder to discuss.

Legend

User Info Menu

Trade Willie Parker straight up for a good young center.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

I like the Mahan trade you suggested. I would approve a trade of Mahan for a bag of Combos.

Like you, I'm bored also. Just think, this time a week from Monday we will have all sorts of training camp fodder to discuss.

mmm combos

Legend

User Info Menu

I like your #1 and #3. We need depth on the DL and I'm not sure Smith will ever be more than a nickelback. I'd also trade Nate because with Sweed and more balls possibly going to TE and RBs he will get very limited touches this year. The problem is magnified because he seems incapable of playing on Special Teams.

Getting some depth this year on the DL as you have proposed would take pressure off in the draft next year to reach for DL. Too bad trades in the NFL rearely ever really happen.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

When you suggested Rod Wright from the Dolphins, the first image that popped into my mind was the other Wright kid (I think his name was Manny?) that they took in the supplemental draft out of USC a couple of years ago (I believe he was on the same Trojan d-line with your other suggestion, Shaun Cody...I remember liking Shaun Cody as a prospect coming out of college). The Wright kid I was thinking of was fat and Nick Saban made him cry in his first NFL practice, I think. I thought that guy was long gone from the Dolphins, and likely out of the league by now. Took me a minute or two to realize that you were talking about Rodrique Wright from Texas. Whew.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

When you suggested Rod Wright from the Dolphins, the first image that popped into my mind was the other Wright kid (I think his name was Manny?) that they took in the supplemental draft out of USC a couple of years ago (I believe he was on the same Trojan d-line with your other suggestion, Shaun Cody...I remember liking Shaun Cody as a prospect coming out of college). The Wright kid I was thinking of was fat and Nick Saban made him cry in his first NFL practice, I think. I thought that guy was long gone from the Dolphins, and likely out of the league by now. Took me a minute or two to realize that you were talking about Rodrique Wright from Texas. Whew.
    Actually Manny was just dropped by the Giants I believe. He was drafted on his measurables alone & just didn't have the head for the game either.

I liked Cody too & he really could be had as Detroit has brought in a lot of bodies to compete on the D-Line. Rod Wright might be available too as Parcells has brought in his usual batch of cronies...uh...players.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...