Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top-10 Most Hated College Football Programs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Top-10 Most Hated College Football Programs.

The Ten Most Disliked College Football Programs Over The Last 25 Years

Love them or hate them, these are the 10 programs of the past quarter century that have inspired the most envy, dislike, and jealousy.

We examine the specific eras during the coaching periods at the schools, not the entire time as head coach. The list is consistent regarding these two requirements, you must have multiple seasons of success and have won a national championship during the specific era examined.

10)Tennessee, Phil Fulmer, 1995-1998, 45-5

9) Nebraska, Tom Osborne, 1993-1997, 60-3

8.) Oklahoma, Bob Stoops, 2000-2004, 60-7

7) Florida, Steve Spurrier, 1993-1998, 65-10

6) Notre Dame, Lou Holtz, 1988-1993, 64-9

5) Colorado, Bill McCartney, 1989-1994, 58-11

4) Florida State, Bobby Bowden, 1987-2000, 152-19

3) Ohio State, Jim Tressel, 2002-2007, 66-11

2) Southern Cal, Pete Carroll, 2003-2005, 37-2

1) Miami Hurricanes, Jimmy Johnson, 1985-1988, 44-4

There couldn't be any other at #1.

Some resentments come and go, Bryant in the early 60s and Paterno in the late 60s both suffered from boos and hisses. They went on to take their places as giants of the game. While we do list the remarkable 14 year spectacle of Bobby Bowden's glory years, the other teams have much more narrow periods of well, dislike, so we concentrate only upon the specific periods that generated the most resentment.

You could add the entire period of Carroll, you may have forgotten Osborne's and McCartney's "criminal of the month club" of the 90s, the nationwide disrespect of Peyton Manning in Knoxville may be a distant memory but they're all here, ready for whatever you throw at them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Top-10 Most Hated College Football Programs.

What?!..... No comments about the "red-vested Tressell"???.... Or comparisons to the Buffalo Bills or Atlanta Braves? (two notable franchises that have perfected the art of finishing in 2nd place)...

Bob

Why is the Jimmy Johnson Era of Miami from 85 and not 84? Just curious

Legend

User Info Menu

USC at #2...sounds about right...can't stand em.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Not sure, really..... It was an article from SI....

...SMG, we're gonna have some FUN the second weekend of September... At least I will!...

Bob

Will Robiske actually go over the middle against Ellison and Mays?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Not sure, really..... It was an article from SI....

...SMG, we're gonna have some FUN the second weekend of September... At least I will!...
    Me too!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Will Robiske actually go over the middle against Ellison and Mays?
    I really don't think he'll have too much success.... If you toss in Cary Harris, you're talkin' about an all-american secondary, IMO.

stlrz, by the time we finish with SMG that Saturday, he'll definitely be hating the Trojans more than he does now!...

Bob

USC has the best secondary in the country, they are getting Kevin Thomas back from injury last year as well. The front 4 is likely the best in the nation as well with 3 likely 1st rounders of Griffen, Maola and Moore.

They need a WR to step up...it time Patrick Turner do it and he has to limit the drops. Hazelton has to step up as well.

The RBs...well, is there any better collection of RBs in the entire country?

It all comes down to Sanchez at QB, if he can play descent, SC should run the table by my estimation.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bob, I think you're right on all counts....

Sanchez will probably be a little tentative at first, or I should say, it wouldn't suprise me if he is. ... If they get past Virginia in the opener then OSU without much difficulty, it will be a fairly smooth ride for him. Carroll has done a masterful job with each new qb, so I really don't expect any changes in that respect.

...And yea, the running backs will be making swiss cheese out of alot of defenses this season. McKnight and Gable will be tearing them up.