Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL hiring experts to spot gang signals

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

NFL hiring experts to spot gang signals

[url="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8350038?MSNHPHMA"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8350038?MSNHPHMA[/url]

Concerned that some of its players are flashing signals related to street gangs, the National Football League has hired experts to examine game tapes and identify the hand gestures, a newspaper reported Wednesday.

"There have been some suspected things we've seen," NFL vice president of security Milt Ahlerich told the Los Angeles Times. "When we see it, we quietly jump on it immediately, directly with the team and the player or employee involved to cease and desist. Period."

Ahlerich says the NFL has long warned its players about the influence of gangs. Concern intensified after Denver Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams was gunned down following an altercation involving known gang members in 2007.

The concern was raised with first-year players at the recent rookie symposium, and a video on the dangers of gangs was shown to every player in the league last year.

"Guys come from all over the country, and who knows what they're really doing?" Jacksonville Jaguars receiver Dennis Northcutt told the paper. "People have got signs for their kids, signs for their fraternities. How do you differentiate who's really throwing up gang signs?"

Northcutt gave an example.

"This is a gang sign," he said, touching his index finger to his thumb to form a squished OK sign. "But at the same time, it's a sign for a personnel group."

Mike Pereira, the NFL's vice president of officiating, said the gang experts being consulted by the league take those factors into account. They are looking for "symbols, clothing, jewelry or other items that would signify an association with criminal gang enterprises," Ahlerich said.

Game officials will not be asked to identify gang signals but will alert league headquarters of anything suspicious they see.

League executives did not specify how offenders will be punished, but Pereira said, "it will be dealt with harshly. The commissioner is not going to stand for gang signals on the field."

The NFL took further notice of the issue after Paul Pierce of the NBA's Boston Celtics was fined $25,000 in April for what the league said was a "menacing gesture" toward the Atlanta Hawks' bench. "I 100 percent do not in any way promote gang violence or anything close to it." Pierce said in a statement. "I am sorry if it was misinterpreted that way at Saturday's game."

The Times said that was the precipitating incident for the NFL.

"We were always suspicious that might be happening," it quoted Pereira as saying of gang-related signals. "But the Paul Pierce thing is what brought it to light. When he was fined . . . that's when we said we need to take a look at it and see if we need to be aware of it."

Other leagues have varying policies on aspects of the gang issue.

The Pac 10 Conference created a rule in 1992 prohibiting football players from wearing bandannas and allowing them to wear elastic skullcaps only if they were in the school's primary colors or black.

Major League Baseball has a policy related to merchandising, and forced New Era to pull New York Yankees caps last year because they featured gang colors and logos.

According to the paper, an NHL spokesman said the league has a policy against inappropriate gestures but has never employed a gang expert.

I wonder if SMG was considered for a position???
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: NFL hiring experts to spot gang signals

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    I wonder if SMG was considered for a position???
    SM-izzleG is in the hooouuussseee!!!....

Legend

User Info Menu

Through my extensive gang related activites and research...I gained the needed experience and expertise required to do this job effectively. Unfortunately, because I forgot my 9 milli at home during the interview...they said I wasn't "street" enough for the job.

Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8350038?MSNHPHMA

Concerned that some of its players are flashing signals related to street gangs, the National Football League has hired experts to examine game tapes and identify the hand gestures, a newspaper reported Wednesday.
    Expert to examine game tapes? They're probably from the Patriots organization...

Starter

User Info Menu

Chris Henry aint doing nothing, maybe he should apply.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    Chris Henry aint doing nothing, maybe he should apply.
    I think they're trying to catch real thugs not fake thugs...

Starter

User Info Menu

ahhh touch'e.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Alright "Mr. Bengal fan"..... I think even you have to agree that Henry is a legitimate "thug" . Gang or not ... How many times has he been arrested?... I don't care whether he's gotten off the hook or not... Look at what the "incidents" were.... The one that got me was the "plying little girls (underage) with alcohol".... That, among other things, makes him a "thug" in my eyes...

....BTW, where do you think he'll end up?... Since not convicted, I doubt that the Commish can kick him out of the league, can he?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Alright "Mr. Bengal fan"..... I think even you have to agree that Henry is a legitimate "thug"... How many times has he been arrested?... I don't care whether he's gotten off the hook or not... Look at what the "incidents" were.... The one that got me was the "plying little girls (underage) with alcohol.... That, among other things, makes him a "thug" in my eyes...

....BTW, where do you think he'll end up?... Since not convicted, I doubt that the Commish can kick him out of the league, can he?
    Ah, you're reading too much into that comment. It's more a diss at Henry than trying to excuse his actions. GhettoScott understands.

As for the last part, now that Henry isn't playing for the Bengals anymore Goodell probably won't ban him (Come on you didn't think I was the only Bengals fan without any conspiracy theories). Cowboys appear to be the best fit for him, but who knows. I'm sure there are a good amount of teams that will give him a look if he isn't banned such as the Vikings or Jags or dare I say da Raiders...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sure there a good amount of teams that will give him a look if he isn't banned such as the Vikings or Jags...
    That's fine.... My bad....

.... And yes, the Jags are going to be in the market for another WR that doesn't have a fondness for cocaine. Henry has alot of issues, but I haven't heard about that one..... Y-E-T...