Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

BigBen2112

Re: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

There goes the Willie Parker to Chicago rumors...they have kevin jones.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Now thats some out of the box thinking...Spaeth in the backfield.

That could be interesting.
    We do realize that Spaeth is 6'7", right? It is kind of hard for this "fullback" to get his pads low enough to blow up an ILB in the hole when he's taller than Michael Jordan.
    As a TE he mostly blocks LBs now on running plays. May not get under the pads, but can engulf the LB at 6'7" and 270lbs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

We do realize that Spaeth is 6'7", right? It is kind of hard for this "fullback" to get his pads low enough to blow up an ILB in the hole when he's taller than Michael Jordan.
    As a TE he mostly blocks LBs now on running plays. May not get under the pads, but can engulf the LB at 6'7" and 270lbs.
    But there is a huge difference between blocking to seal off the edge as a TE and blasting through the hole like a runaway freight train as a FB.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Give me a 5' 11" 245lb FB over a 6' 7" 270lb FB any day.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Give me a 5' 11" 245lb FB over a 6' 7" 270lb FB any day.

I have to agree with ya on this one..... Mike Allstott. One of the Beastiest and probably the most complete FB ever. Could catch, blast a hole through the line or line up as a single set back. I don't think the Spaeth thing would be plausible. No low center of gravity... no leverage... no dice.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones signed with the Bears as some knowledgeable fans stated he would

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746[/url]
    Like that handsome kat SMG and the big O?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I said interesting. Interesting means it might be worth a look.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    The question...could Davis be the odd man out? How much improved would
    the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell
    is actually a very good blocker. Maybe the Steelers seen something.

Also, I don't see anyway the Steelers sign Jones. Why? Because Jones won't
    want to come to a crowded backfield. It would be a poor decision by him. He
    will sign with the Bears.

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
    didn't like what they seen...why cut Davenport? Why not cut Russell?
    You are inside my head again!
    I admit it might be a stretch but think about it a bit with me. Last season the Steelers cut the fan favorite Krieder. This guy is a work horse and one of the better FB blockers in the league. They did so to make the O more diverse. They wanted more of a running/receiving presence from their FB. So, they keep Davis. What did he do? Squat...and I mean squat. The guy sucks. I'm not sure why people believe his job is safe. Why? Just because he is the only FB? Don't let that fool ya. I could see Ariens cutting all typical FB types and keeping 5 pure RBs. And I could certainly see them wanting to get Russell on the field. What many people don't know is that Russell is a tenacious blocker...he finishes...he puts a helmet on people. Many people also fail to realize Russell has VERY soft hands. The guy can catch. The only thing he lacks is typical FB size. But, he isn't small at 225. I won't be a bit surprised if Russell gets a serious look at FB this season.
    When I said "You are inside my head again!"...I meant you are typing what I am thinking!
    I agree with you...That is what I was getting at in possible reason #4. I'm not a Davis fan. His blocking skills are average and it wouldn't take much for a better runner/receiver to lead block as well as him. I believe the Steelers could accomplish MORE with a single back and the combo of 2 TEs or 3 WRs. Even utilizing Mendenhall, Moore, Russell as ala "Bush" and moving them around while Parker lines up as the single back. I think the talent pool on this team is causing the team to evolve...Which is good. Design the offense to the players not make the players fit the design. You and I give Russell much luv and I want to see him on the field. The one article that said "Russell has shown the willingness to learn" means the door is open to the FB theory in my opinion. The guy looks like he is willing to do what they ask of him to get on the field. I think Spaeth or Miller also could be utilized in 2 TE sets with one as the H-Back. The H-Back scheme is very potent if you utilize the TE in passing because it gets the S out of position in coverage. Most teams walk the S down to follow the H-Back so they don't have to move an ILB out of "The Hole" and weaken the inside. I'm all for doing away with the pure FB. If we need a goaline/short yardage FB...Line up Keisel at FB!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jones signed with the Bears as some knowledgeable fans stated he would

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746[/url]
    Like that handsome kat SMG and the big O?
    No Luv For Nasty!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't realize Spaeth was that tall. A couple of inches shorter and maybe it would have worked out. There have been some taller (relatively) FB's that have been solid. Darryl "Moose" Johnston was 6'2 and the best FB in the draft this season Owen Schmitt is also 6'2.

6'7 is a little too tall but you don't have to be under 6'0 to be a good FB. Luckily for us Daniel Coats is 6'3, so he's got a shot at transitioning to a successful FB...