Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    That's what I don't get O. I mean everything and I mean everything I have
    read about Russell is positive. Davis is a chump...it makes me wonder if they
    might try to convert Russell into a FB to get him on the field. Could you imagine
    Russell and Mendenhall in the same backfield.
    Agree it would be just too wierd to bring Jones in.

I would love to see Mendenhall and Russell in the backfield to beat down defenses particularly late in games where we are trying to run out the clock. Both a powerful runners who would create real problems. Add a little FWP to break a big one and that would be awesome.

What I like is that I hear that both Mendenhall and Russell are also good blockers and pass catchers. They would be a formidable package.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

corner the market on RBs and trade one to a team with an excess of O-linemen.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The question...could Davis be the odd man out? How much improved would
    the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell
    is actually a very good blocker. Maybe the Steelers seen something.

Also, I don't see anyway the Steelers sign Jones. Why? Because Jones won't
    want to come to a crowded backfield. It would be a poor decision by him. He
    will sign with the Bears.

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
    didn't like what they seen...why cut Davenport? Why not cut Russell?
    You are inside my head again!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
    I admit it might be a stretch but think about it a bit with me. Last season the Steelers cut the fan favorite Krieder. This guy is a work horse and one of the better FB blockers in the league. They did so to make the O more diverse. They wanted more of a running/receiving presence from their FB. So, they keep Davis. What did he do? Squat...and I mean squat. The guy sucks. I'm not sure why people believe his job is safe. Why? Just because he is the only FB? Don't let that fool ya. I could see Ariens cutting all typical FB types and keeping 5 pure RBs. And I could certainly see them wanting to get Russell on the field. What many people don't know is that Russell is a tenacious blocker...he finishes...he puts a helmet on people. Many people also fail to realize Russell has VERY soft hands. The guy can catch. The only thing he lacks is typical FB size. But, he isn't small at 225. I won't be a bit surprised if Russell gets a serious look at FB this season.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY

I admit it might be a stretch but think about it a bit with me. Last season the Steelers cut the fan favorite Krieder. This guy is a work horse and one of the better FB blockers in the league. They did so to make the O more diverse. They wanted more of a running/receiving presence from their FB. So, they keep Davis. What did he do? Squat...and I mean squat. The guy sucks. I'm not sure why people believe his job is safe. Why? Just because he is the only FB? Don't let that fool ya. I could see Ariens cutting all typical FB types and keeping 5 pure RBs. And I could certainly see them wanting to get Russell on the field. What many people don't know is that Russell is a tenacious blocker...he finishes...he puts a helmet on people. Many people also fail to realize Russell has VERY soft hands. The guy can catch. The only thing he lacks is typical FB size. But, he isn't small at 225. I won't be a bit surprised if Russell gets a serious look at FB this season.
    I think there is some out of the box thinking and the team is getting away from one dimensional players. We all saw that last season with the evaluation of players on the OL being able to play multiple positions. I can see Russell in the backfield as a blocker, but if all you want is a big lead blocker I could also bee Spaeth or MIller shifting to a backfield position. I think occurred several time a game last season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Now thats some out of the box thinking...Spaeth in the backfield.

That could be interesting.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I think there is some out of the box thinking and the team is getting away from one dimensional players. We all saw that last season with the evaluation of players on the OL being able to play multiple positions. I can see Russell in the backfield as a blocker, but if all you want is a big lead blocker I could also bee Spaeth or MIller shifting to a backfield position. I think occurred several time a game last season.
    Very good point. We are trying to do the same thing by moving our backup TE Daniel Coats to the FB position to try and replace Fat Jeremi Johnson. It brings more versatility to the offense plus Coats is a solid ST player, so it benfits the team in more ways than one.

If Spaeth can successfully transition to a FB, it would help your team immensely...

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones signed with the Bears as some knowledgeable fans stated he would

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Now thats some out of the box thinking...Spaeth in the backfield.

That could be interesting.
    We do realize that Spaeth is 6'7", right? It is kind of hard for this "fullback" to get his pads low enough to blow up an ILB in the hole when he's taller than Michael Jordan.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Jones signed with the Bears as some knowledgeable fans stated he would

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3488746[/url]
    Maybe the Lions sign Ced Benson now, so that division rivals could officially swap their 1st round RB disappointments.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.