Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

I'm still scratching my head! Sirius reported this morning Kevin Jones's agent reported he will sign today with the Bears or Steelers. Why?
    Possible reasons:
    1. The Parker trade rumors have some truth? I can't believe that! One scenario I do believe is that Parker is truely only 80% and the Steelers might put him on the PUP to start the season. Reports said he looked good but wasn't cutting full speed yet.

2. Not happy with Russell? Again, I can't believe that! I saw the kid in college and have a good idea of the player he could be...As long as he stays focused. Reports say he looks like he is back to form and is playing more like the high draft pick he "Could have been". I can't see them giving up on raw young talent at RB in this salary cap system.

3. Not happy with Moore? There is no way the would cut him even if they weren't happy with him. Reports say he looks like a steal in FA...Don't think this is it!

4. Offensive evolution? Signing Jones would put 6 keepers on the roster. If Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Jones, Russell, and Davis are the six...Do they carry six? Or is this the Arian's Evolution we heard about but never believed would happen. Meaning...The Steelers don't have a pure FB on the roster. It isn't anything new...There are some NFL teams that do this. More H-Back or 2 TE sets with a single back versus the traditional FB. It is not like the Steelers couldn't get a FB on the market if it failed. I personally don't see a complete 180 in the Steelers Offense in one year. But the Steelers do have some capable HB who could block and Jones is a load too. Maybe a theory...

In summary, "<crickets,crickets,crickets>"

That about sums it up!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Sirius reports K Jones to sign...

#2 would be the reason.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is retarded at best. I'd really have to question what's going on in the FO to chase down a back at this point when we've all but ignored the trenches. I get that there aren't exactly a lot of linemen to go after and it was a weak free agent crop in that area but holy crap man.

Legend

User Info Menu

Hope is is going to the Bears who are desperate for RBs. I see no value him coming to the Steelers. I don't think he has made it through a season healthy the last two years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Hope is is going to the Bears who are desperate for RBs. I see no value him coming to the Steelers. I don't think he has made it through a season healthy the last two years.
    I wouldn't necessarily say the Bears are desperate. Matt Forte I think will surprise a lot of people this season, if the Bears aging linemen can stay healthy this season Forte should be a 1,000 yard back.

Behind Forte Adrian Peterson(No not that one), is a solid #2. He can catch passes out of the backfield and the Bears coaching staff do like him a lot.

Then there's Garrett Wolfe who is similar to DeDe Dorsey for us. A smaller quicker change of pace back. Although Wolfe hasn't impressed the coaches much.

If Kevin Jones ends up on either team, he should be the #4 RB and at best he'll be the #3 RB...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope he signs with the Bears too. Maybe his agent is trying to drive Jones's price up by reporting teams are interested. There are other teams who would have been more believable than the Steelers though...It puzzles me!

Legend

User Info Menu

The question...could Davis be the odd man out? How much improved would
    the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell
    is actually a very good blocker. Maybe the Steelers seen something.

Also, I don't see anyway the Steelers sign Jones. Why? Because Jones won't
    want to come to a crowded backfield. It would be a poor decision by him. He
    will sign with the Bears.

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
    didn't like what they seen...why cut Davenport? Why not cut Russell?
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote="ShawnMedGuy"]The question...could Davis be the odd man out? How much improved would
    the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell
    is actually a very good blocker. Maybe the Steelers seen something.

Also, I don't see anyway the Steelers sign Jones. Why? Because Jones won't
    want to come to a crowded backfield. It would be a poor decision by him. He
    will sign with the Bears.

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
    didn't like what they seen...why cut Davenport? Why not cut Russell?[/
    quote]

I have to say that I agree. I've heard nothing negative about Russell in the year plus he has been on the team. Everything you read is positive. Just can't see him as the odd man out or worrisome enough for the team to think they need another RB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what I don't get O. I mean everything and I mean everything I have
    read about Russell is positive. Davis is a chump...it makes me wonder if they
    might try to convert Russell into a FB to get him on the field. Could you imagine
    Russell and Mendenhall in the same backfield.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe they are just gearing up for a season in which our RBs get knocked the f' out a lot due to poor blocking? If they want to protect Ben from getting killed, they'll need to run the ball a _lot_. They might go through a bunch of RBs this way...

I don't really think that, but with the seemingly neglected OL, this is semi-valid theory.

Personally, I hope the few changes to the OL (Marvel's back, Hartwig, Kemo, etc) prove to be enough to get us over the hump. If we can run the ball well, it'll help the passing game a ton.