Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
The question...could Davis be the odd man out? How much improved would
the Steelers be with a FB that can actually run the ball...like Russell. Russell
is actually a very good blocker. Maybe the Steelers seen something.

Also, I don't see anyway the Steelers sign Jones. Why? Because Jones won't
want to come to a crowded backfield. It would be a poor decision by him. He
will sign with the Bears.

All reports I have heard...say Russell looks bigger, faster and stronger. If they
didn't like what they seen...why cut Davenport? Why not cut Russell?
You are inside my head again!
I admit it might be a stretch but think about it a bit with me. Last season the Steelers cut the fan favorite Krieder. This guy is a work horse and one of the better FB blockers in the league. They did so to make the O more diverse. They wanted more of a running/receiving presence from their FB. So, they keep Davis. What did he do? Squat...and I mean squat. The guy sucks. I'm not sure why people believe his job is safe. Why? Just because he is the only FB? Don't let that fool ya. I could see Ariens cutting all typical FB types and keeping 5 pure RBs. And I could certainly see them wanting to get Russell on the field. What many people don't know is that Russell is a tenacious blocker...he finishes...he puts a helmet on people. Many people also fail to realize Russell has VERY soft hands. The guy can catch. The only thing he lacks is typical FB size. But, he isn't small at 225. I won't be a bit surprised if Russell gets a serious look at FB this season.
When I said "You are inside my head again!"...I meant you are typing what I am thinking!
I agree with you...That is what I was getting at in possible reason #4. I'm not a Davis fan. His blocking skills are average and it wouldn't take much for a better runner/receiver to lead block as well as him. I believe the Steelers could accomplish MORE with a single back and the combo of 2 TEs or 3 WRs. Even utilizing Mendenhall, Moore, Russell as ala "Bush" and moving them around while Parker lines up as the single back. I think the talent pool on this team is causing the team to evolve...Which is good. Design the offense to the players not make the players fit the design. You and I give Russell much luv and I want to see him on the field. The one article that said "Russell has shown the willingness to learn" means the door is open to the FB theory in my opinion. The guy looks like he is willing to do what they ask of him to get on the field. I think Spaeth or Miller also could be utilized in 2 TE sets with one as the H-Back. The H-Back scheme is very potent if you utilize the TE in passing because it gets the S out of position in coverage. Most teams walk the S down to follow the H-Back so they don't have to move an ILB out of "The Hole" and weaken the inside. I'm all for doing away with the pure FB. If we need a goaline/short yardage FB...Line up Keisel at FB!