Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting News Ranks QBs

Hogerules33

Re: Sporting News Ranks QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies

Also consider that for Cincy to improve the defensive side of the ball, Palmer might have to give up a Chad Johnson or a TJ housch. Maybe that pretty ball won't look as good throwing to Cedric if you know what i mean. in the meantime if Palmer could just improve on third down , he might be the one guy that helps his defenee the most by keeping them off the field.
    It didn't help Cinci's defense that up and coming Odell Thurman had/has drug problems, and 1st round pick David Pollack broke his neck.

We keep referencing Palmer's lack of post-season wins...even though the only chance he got, he was knocked out of the game on the second play.

All in all I think he is good, but Ben is better. Like Jom said, no need to tear down Palmer just to validate Ben. His numbers speak for themselves.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hogerules33

Also consider that for Cincy to improve the defensive side of the ball, Palmer might have to give up a Chad Johnson or a TJ housch. Maybe that pretty ball won't look as good throwing to Cedric if you know what i mean. in the meantime if Palmer could just improve on third down , he might be the one guy that helps his defenee the most by keeping them off the field.
    It didn't help Cinci's defense that up and coming Odell Thurman had/has drug problems, and 1st round pick David Pollack broke his neck.

We keep referencing Palmer's lack of post-season wins...even though the only chance he got, he was knocked out of the game on the second play.

All in all I think he is good, but Ben is better. Like Jom said, no need to tear down Palmer just to validate Ben. His numbers speak for themselves.
    with most of what you said. Carson and Ben are two different types of QBs. Both of whom play the position extremely well. I think Carson is the better pure passer and Ben is the better playmaker. All told I think they are on the same level. The Steelers would still be a winning team with Carson at the helm and the bengals would still be losers with Ben at the helm.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

I think Carson is the better pure passer and Ben is the better playmaker.
    I'll take the playmaker over the passer anyday!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    There was another poll recently that had Ben at #3. After that poll, I, myself said I'd have him at 3-4, about even with Brees, who I've always felt was underrated.

Brady and Manning - if you can't at least see an argument for those guys being higher rated, ditch the B&G colored glasses.

Basically, IMO, the question is Palmer or Ben... and while I wouldn't rate Palmer higher, I could see the case... he's had 4000+ yards and 25+ TDs each of the last 2 years... in fact, he had 32 TDs the year before. I could see the argument.

Just be glad that he's not behind guys like Romo, Bulger and Hasselbeck that have more gaudy stats. I'm satisfied with a "top 5" ranking... It says he's among the elite and no longer a game manager.
    I understand your points, but to me it's about more than just stats.
    It absolutely is more about just stats... My point is, I can see the arguments. It's not like names are being yanked outta left field.

The truth is that while they may not be the ONLY determining factor, stats matter. Otherwise, Marino doesn't belong on the top QB of all time list.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

You'd take Mike Vick over Peyton Manning?

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Carson Palmer is pretty good. He doesn't have anywhere near Ben's mobility, but he is a very accurate passer and throws a beautiful deep ball. I'm not sure why everyone is always so shocked and offended to see him rated above Ben. If Ben outshines Palmer again this year, writers will begin to come around.
    How accurate is Carson's Ball in the crucial periods of the game?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Carson Palmer is pretty good. He doesn't have anywhere near Ben's mobility, but he is a very accurate passer and throws a beautiful deep ball. I'm not sure why everyone is always so shocked and offended to see him rated above Ben. If Ben outshines Palmer again this year, writers will begin to come around.
    How accurate is Carson's Ball in the crucial periods of the game?
    they all throw pics at various points in the game and Ben isn't immune.

I think steelblood is so spot on there....

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Of course not. The have to prove they can win. I should of clarified what I meant.....

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course not. The have to prove they can win. I should of clarified what I meant.....
    I don't care whether he's a passer, a runner, too short or if it's an ugly throwing motion... if he's a winner, that's the guy I want.

Personally, I take the best winner... period.

2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    If Brees has one more down year I think you'll see him drop quickly. If Palmer misses the playoffs again, then I don't see how he could still be considered elite. Th e thing I'm confounded over with Ben's perception is how anyone can continuously overlook his efficiency, gaudy YPA & winning percentage.
    An interesting statement about Brees. He was 440/652 (67.5%) for 4,423 yards with 28 TDs, 18 INTs and an 89.4 passer rating. About the only thing that wasn't very good was his ypa which was a pedestrian 6.8. He had career highs in attempts, completions, completion percentage, yardage and TDs. Without Duece to provide a running game Brees was about all the New Orleans offense had. I'm not sure why you think he had a down year.

Week 1 Saints Lose to Colts
    Our inability to convert third downs and keep the ball hurt us," said sean Payton. (Brees also had 2 interceptions)

Manning = 9.6 Yards per attempt
    Brees = 4.7 Yards Per Attempt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

week 2 Saints LOSe to Bucs

The Saints had some success moving the ball on the ground early."I think we have the ability to be a very good offense. One of the best, if not the best, in the league. Unfortunately we're not playing like it right now," said Drew Brees.

Box score

Saints 0 , 0 , 7, 7, (Zero 1st half points by the offense)

Brees 1 interception

Jeff Garcia = 15.2 Yards per attempt
    Drew Brees = 5.3 Yards per attempt
    --------------------------------------------------------

Week 3 Saints Lose to Titans

Drew Brees who had another miserable game, he had five turnovers. Brees now has just 1 TD pass versus 7 Interceptions on the season.

Vince Young = 7.2 Yards per Attempt
    Drew Brees = 4.7 Yards per Attempt

---------------------------------------------------------------
    WEEK 4 BYE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Week 5 Saints lose to Panthers

If we continue to make the dumb mistakes, then it's hard for the result to change," said Saints coach Sean Payton. In a tightly contested affair, the Saints only could muster 6 first half points. They also failed to score in the 4th Quarter.

David Carr = 7.8 Yards per Attempt
    Drew Brees = 5.4 Yards per attempt (2 more interceptions)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Saints Begin season 0-4 , effectively Ending their Season.