Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Sporting News Ranks QBs

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Sporting News Ranks QBs

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies

That's why I try my best to spread the word. The truth. Think about it. Peter King had
    Ben listed 17th last year while he had Kitna and Cutler at 9 & 10. what does that tell you? It tells me that a Hall of Fame Voter has effectively given Roethlisberger little or no credit at all for that Championship march in 2005, as well as the 1st two years over all.
    I have been proven statistically that Ben was the catalyst. He was the difference maker.
    But a hall of fame voter didn't even think he belonged in Kitna country. Ultimately, my life won't change one bit. But you could be looking at another great Pittsburgh Steeler that one day could be on the outside looking in at canton OHio. The book on Roethlisberger has been wrote by th media. He had nothing to do with the Steelers run first two years.
    I would take whatever Peter King says with a grain of salt. The only bigger tool than him is Jason Whitlock.

King has a hard on for Brady and the whole AFC East. I remember how he put Kerry Rhodes the safety for the Jets above Polamalu and Ed Reed. So it's not just a biased against Ben, he just has a biased period...
    Peter King has been the ring leader of those Voters who have led the charge to keep
    Steelers out of the hall of fame. King said is himself. He said " he just can't see anymore Pittsburgh steelers in the hall of fame." He was referring to the 70's team of course. But
    then he has carried that over to Dermonti Dawson. He literally is not voting for Dawson because he thinks too many steelers are in the hall. He is to be taken seriously. He messes with people's careers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    No stats from me, but I got a kick out of the guy who said the Steelers would take Eli Manning straight up for Ben in a heartbeat.
    I'm always amazed by how little credit Ben gets for what he's done. On a Ravens board I frequent someone started a most over rated of all time and there wasn't any mention of Ben...eventually someone asked why and others chimed in that no one really thinks much of him, he's not good enough to be over rated, blah blah blah.

It's ok Ratstains fans...just keep disregarding him.
    They had the same thread over on a bengals board. Many there listed him as being the most over-rated. I just laugh.
    You wanna know what's really funny? Those Rats fans all berate Palmer as well and then when someone started a thread asking them to rank the AFCN starting QBs they all put Palmer at #1...simply because they couldn't bring themselves to admit that a Steelers QB was better.

s

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    You wanna know what's really funny? Those Rats fans all berate Palmer as well and then when someone started a thread asking them to rank the AFCN starting QBs they all put Palmer at #1...simply because they couldn't bring themselves to admit that a Steelers QB was better.

s
    They rate Palmer #1 because he owns the Ravens.

Owns them!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogerules33
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies

Also consider that for Cincy to improve the defensive side of the ball, Palmer might have to give up a Chad Johnson or a TJ housch. Maybe that pretty ball won't look as good throwing to Cedric if you know what i mean. in the meantime if Palmer could just improve on third down , he might be the one guy that helps his defenee the most by keeping them off the field.
    It didn't help Cinci's defense that up and coming Odell Thurman had/has drug problems, and 1st round pick David Pollack broke his neck.

We keep referencing Palmer's lack of post-season wins...even though the only chance he got, he was knocked out of the game on the second play.

All in all I think he is good, but Ben is better. Like Jom said, no need to tear down Palmer just to validate Ben. His numbers speak for themselves.
    I think Carson is the better pure passer and Ben is the better playmaker.
    I'll take the playmaker over the passer anyday!!!
    You'd take Mike Vick over Peyton Manning?
    No. First and foremost, they have to win (Peyton and Ben are both winners).

It's like if somebody says "I perfer blondes over brunettes."
    Does this mean they would bag Betty White instead of Jessica Alba if given a choice?
    Most likely no.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Actually, I agree with a lot of those rankings (which is a first for me). I'd have Brady at #2 though, Spygate being a big reason.

They also said the same thing about Derek Anderson I've been saying: he took the league by surprise, and everyone started figuring him out by the time the second half rolled around. The only reason he still put up numbers is because he was surrounded by offensive talent.

If you're ever bored enough, just compare his first-half season stats with his second-half season stats. (It's actually not that hard, just cut and paste in excel). I think you'll find his YPA dropped to a pathetic 6.2, his rating dropped by almost 20, TD/Int ratio was almost one, threw for over 400 yards less, and his completion percentage was a pitiful 54%. Stats are NOT everything, and don't tell the whole story, b ut there's no denying his production dropped.

Now to be fair, Big Ben's numbers dropped, too. But I'm not as worried about that because:
    A) That's natural
    B) His numbers dropped from excellent to good, while Derek Anderson's numbers dropped from good to just pathetic.