Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sporting News Ranks QBs

steeld95

Re: Sporting News Ranks QBs

I am tired of seeing Palmer ranked ahead of Ben. Just because he throws a good ball and have good mechanics does not make him a better qb. Until he wins something important, he should not be considered.

You always hear people say Ben wins because of the team around him and he manages the game. That is garbage. During the superbowl run, he played great during the playoffs and was a big reason for our success.

Brees has had plenty of talent around him too...how many superbowl wins does he have? Playoff wins???

Thats fine, rank them ahead of Ben......Ben will just continue to prove them wrong on the field...and thats what counts...not some dumb a$$ reporters rankings!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeld95
    I am tired of seeing Palmer ranked ahead of Ben. Just because he throws a good ball and have good mechanics does not make him a better qb. Until he wins something important, he should not be considered.

You always hear people say Ben wins because of the team around him and he manages the game. That is garbage. During the superbowl run, he played great during the playoffs and was a big reason for our success.

Brees has had plenty of talent around him too...how many superbowl wins does he have? Playoff wins???

Thats fine, rank them ahead of Ben......Ben will just continue to prove them wrong on the field...and thats what counts...not some dumb a$$ reporters rankings!

Your right about people always saying Ben's team is so good. Yet,
    Who has been surround with more offensive talent then Palmer? People forget
    that Rudy Johnson was one of the few backs who has gashed the steelers for 100 yards when their defense was at its peek.

Also consider that for Cincy to improve the defensive side of the ball, Palmer might have to give up a Chad Johnson or a TJ housch. Maybe that pretty ball won't look as good throwing to Cedric if you know what i mean. in the meantime if Palmer could just improve on third down , he might be the one guy that helps his defenee the most by keeping them off the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

There was another poll recently that had Ben at #3. After that poll, I, myself said I'd have him at 3-4, about even with Brees, who I've always felt was underrated.

Brady and Manning - if you can't at least see an argument for those guys being higher rated, ditch the B&G colored glasses.

Basically, IMO, the question is Palmer or Ben... and while I wouldn't rate Palmer higher, I could see the case... he's had 4000+ yards and 25+ TDs each of the last 2 years... in fact, he had 32 TDs the year before. I could see the argument.

Just be glad that he's not behind guys like Romo, Bulger and Hasselbeck that have more gaudy stats. I'm satisfied with a "top 5" ranking... It says he's among the elite and no longer a game manager.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    There was another poll recently that had Ben at #3. After that poll, I, myself said I'd have him at 3-4, about even with Brees, who I've always felt was underrated.

Brady and Manning - if you can't at least see an argument for those guys being higher rated, ditch the B&G colored glasses.

Basically, IMO, the question is Palmer or Ben... and while I wouldn't rate Palmer higher, I could see the case... he's had 4000+ yards and 25+ TDs each of the last 2 years... in fact, he had 32 TDs the year before. I could see the argument.

Just be glad that he's not behind guys like Romo, Bulger and Hasselbeck that have more gaudy stats. I'm satisfied with a "top 5" ranking... It says he's among the elite and no longer a game manager.
    Yeah, it a long way from Peter King rating him...what was it?...17th last offseason. In a league of 32 starting QB's, 17 is below average. I mean...that's Derek Anderson territory.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille

I understand your points, but to me it's about more than just stats.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Carson Palmer is pretty good. He doesn't have anywhere near Ben's mobility, but he is a very accurate passer and throws a beautiful deep ball. I'm not sure why everyone is always so shocked and offended to see him rated above Ben. If Ben outshines Palmer again this year, writers will begin to come around.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Carson Palmer is pretty good. He doesn't have anywhere near Ben's mobility, but he is a very accurate passer and throws a beautiful deep ball. I'm not sure why everyone is always so shocked and offended to see him rated above Ben. If Ben outshines Palmer again this year, writers will begin to come around.
    Because Palmer has exactly zero post season wins.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Got to agree. Palmer is overrated. He has been surrounded by great offensive talent for several years and can't win a meaningful game. Has he won a game of significance in his entire professional career?

Just because he throws a "pretty" ball doesn't mean he has the intangibles to be a great QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    If Brees has one more down year I think you'll see him drop quickly. If Palmer misses the playoffs again, then I don't see how he could still be considered elite. Th e thing I'm confounded over with Ben's perception is how anyone can continuously overlook his efficiency, gaudy YPA & winning percentage.
    An interesting statement about Brees. He was 440/652 (67.5%) for 4,423 yards with 28 TDs, 18 INTs and an 89.4 passer rating. About the only thing that wasn't very good was his ypa which was a pedestrian 6.8. He had career highs in attempts, completions, completion percentage, yardage and TDs. Without Duece to provide a running game Brees was about all the New Orleans offense had. I'm not sure why you think he had a down year.

As for QBs I don't care where people rank Ben. He fits the Steeler type of football mold which is substance over flash. He gets the job done more often than not whether it's by his arm, legs or even his wits. He willingly sacrifices his body to make a play or try and make a play. He may not be the prettiest QB on the field but he is a winner and wears black and gold and I for one am glad
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Got to agree. Palmer is overrated. He has been surrounded by great offensive talent for several years and can't win a meaningful game. Has he won a game of significance in his entire professional career?

Just because he throws a "pretty" ball doesn't mean he has the intangibles to be a great QB.
    I tired to debate this topic with you guys but no one seems to want to backup that statement:

[url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1144"]viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1144[/url]

It's more than just a "pretty" long ball. I don't see why Steeler fans believe that they need to put down Palmer to validate Ben? Ben is a very good QB (Better than Brees definitely), if some sportswriter feels differently who cares?