Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Sporting News Ranks QBs

Re: Sporting News Ranks QBs

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":1k03blx0
    If Brees has one more down year I think you'll see him drop quickly. If Palmer misses the playoffs again, then I don't see how he could still be considered elite. Th e thing I'm confounded over with Ben's perception is how anyone can continuously overlook his efficiency, gaudy YPA & winning percentage.
    An interesting statement about Brees. He was 440/652 (67.5%) for 4,423 yards with 28 TDs, 18 INTs and an 89.4 passer rating. About the only thing that wasn't very good was his ypa which was a pedestrian 6.8. He had career highs in attempts, completions, completion percentage, yardage and TDs. Without Duece to provide a running game Brees was about all the New Orleans offense had. I'm not sure why you think he had a down year.

Week 1 Saints Lose to Colts
    Our inability to convert third downs and keep the ball hurt us," said sean Payton. (Brees also had 2 interceptions)

Manning = 9.6 Yards per attempt
    Brees = 4.7 Yards Per Attempt

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

week 2 Saints LOSe to Bucs

The Saints had some success moving the ball on the ground early."I think we have the ability to be a very good offense. One of the best, if not the best, in the league. Unfortunately we're not playing like it right now," said Drew Brees.

Box score

Saints 0 , 0 , 7, 7, (Zero 1st half points by the offense)

Brees 1 interception

Jeff Garcia = 15.2 Yards per attempt
    Drew Brees = 5.3 Yards per attempt
    --------------------------------------------------------

Week 3 Saints Lose to Titans

Drew Brees who had another miserable game, he had five turnovers. Brees now has just 1 TD pass versus 7 Interceptions on the season.

Vince Young = 7.2 Yards per Attempt
    Drew Brees = 4.7 Yards per Attempt

---------------------------------------------------------------
    WEEK 4 BYE
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Week 5 Saints lose to Panthers

If we continue to make the dumb mistakes, then it's hard for the result to change," said Saints coach Sean Payton. In a tightly contested affair, the Saints only could muster 6 first half points. They also failed to score in the 4th Quarter.

David Carr = 7.8 Yards per Attempt
    Drew Brees = 5.4 Yards per attempt (2 more interceptions)

Saints Begin season 0-4 , effectively Ending their Season.[/quote:1k03blx0]
    he did struggle out of the gate... but, he finished VERY strong... I would guess that only Brady had better numbers for the last 8-10 games of the season.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

[quote=SteelerOfDeVille]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":2ltv9xhw
    If Brees has one more down year I think you'll see him drop quickly. If Palmer misses the playoffs again, then I don't see how he could still be considered elite. Th e thing I'm confounded over with Ben's perception is how anyone can continuously overlook his efficiency, gaudy YPA & winning percentage.
    An interesting statement about Brees. He was 440/652 (67.5%) for 4,423 yards with 28 TDs, 18 INTs and an 89.4 passer rating. About the only thing that wasn't very good was his ypa which was a pedestrian 6.8. He had career highs in attempts, completions, completion percentage, yardage and TDs. Without Duece to provide a running game Brees was about all the New Orleans offense had. I'm not sure why you think he had a down year.

Our inability to convert third downs and keep the ball hurt us," said sean Payton. (Brees also had 2 interceptions)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Saints had some success moving the ball on the ground early."I think we have the ability to be a very good offense. One of the best, if not the best, in the league. Unfortunately we're not playing like it right now," said Drew Brees.

Box score

Brees 1 interception

Drew Brees who had another miserable game, he had five turnovers. Brees now has just 1 TD pass versus 7 Interceptions on the season.

WEEK 4 BYE

If we continue to make the dumb mistakes, then it's hard for the result to change," said Saints coach Sean Payton. In a tightly contested affair, the Saints only could muster 6 first half points. They also failed to score in the 4th Quarter.

Saints Begin season 0-4 , effectively Ending their Season.
    he did struggle out of the gate... but, he finished VERY strong.[/quote:2ltv9xhw]

The Season was over after game 4. Pressure was off. At that point you just go out and wing it.

Pro Bowler

The Season was over after game 4. Pressure was off. At that point you just go out and wing it.
    Not when you play in the pathetic NFC South...

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Not when you play in the pathetic NFC South...
    Tampa bay had the division rapped up early. They were able to sit Garcia the last 3
    games of the season. I think they were 7-2 at one point.

This is just like Carson Palmer. I don't give a sh it what he does against the Chiefs when he is sitting there 1-6 on the season. Drew Brees is a fantasy football QB. And he has a 0-2 lifetime record against Roethlisberger.

Pro Bowler

Tampa bay had the division rapped up early. They were able to sit Garcia the last 3
    games of the season. I think they were 7-2 at one point.

This is just like Carson Palmer. I don't give a sh it what he does against the Chiefs when he is sitting there 1-6 on the season. Drew Brees is a fantasy football QB. And he has a 0-2 lifetime record against Roethlisberger.
    So what you're trying to say is David Garrad > Ben Roethlisberger?

Also Tampa finished 9-7. I remember the Lions getting off to a fast start as well last season only to stumble as usual. An 0-4 start is something that can be overcome in the NFC...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Carson Palmer is pretty good. He doesn't have anywhere near Ben's mobility, but he is a very accurate passer and throws a beautiful deep ball. I'm not sure why everyone is always so shocked and offended to see him rated above Ben. If Ben outshines Palmer again this year, writers will begin to come around.
    Because Palmer has exactly zero post season wins.
    But, to be fair, this is because Palmer plays on a team with a horrendous defense more than anything else. They are both good. Why get your lather up over these writers and their rankings?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

[quote=Mr Smartmonies][quote=SteelerOfDeVille]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":3dz7ejub
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":3dz7ejub

Box score

Brees 1 interception

WEEK 4 BYE

Saints Begin season 0-4 , effectively Ending their Season.
    he did struggle out of the gate... but, he finished VERY strong.[/quote:3dz7ejub]

The Season was over after game 4. Pressure was off. At that point you just go out and wing it.[/quote:3dz7ejub]

Puhleez ... they were 2 games back of TB when the teams met in week 13. If they had won that week then they would be 1 game back with 4 to play. You would have to lose your 1st 8 games in the NFCS before you could say your season is over. You have to admit stat wise that Brees had a pretty good season ... not a down year. The Saints on the other hand had a down year. Well, not really, they just felt the effects of playing a 1st place schedule and sank back to the level of their talent. You will see basically the same thing happen to the browns this year.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

steeld95

Is there really any point in debating this? Is their any Steeler fan that would trade Ben for any of the other two? I know I wouldn't....but converly if you ask the fans of the Saints or Bengals, they probably wouldn't trade their qb's for Ben either....Bottom line is...who cares what writers say...as long as Ben wins, thats all I care about.

Also Tampa finished 9-7. I remember the Lions getting off to a fast start as well last season only to stumble as usual. An 0-4 start is something that can be overcome in the NFC...
    The Season was over. They sat out half their teamlast 3 games. The lost 3 out
    4 to close the season. Find me a few teams that made the playoffs starting 0-4.
    YOur season is cooked at that point. its common sense.

Pro Bowler

[quote=Mr Smartmonies]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":3p2ot6qm
    The Season was over. They sat out half their teamlast 3 games. The lost 3 out
    4 to close the season. Find me a few teams that made the playoffs starting 0-4.
    YOur season is cooked at that point. its common sense.[/quote:3p2ot6qm]

The point that you're missing is that at 0-4 your season is not over. There is still something to play for and you shouldn't give up. The Saints didn't and they came close to catching Tampa in the second half of the season. The statement that Brees had nothing to play was just made to support your argument not because it's a valid statement.

Also the Chargers did it back in the 90's. It's not a common occurrence but it can be done and has been done, which is why you don't give up. I figured a Steelers fan would understand that (*cough* 2005 *cough*)...