Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colbert is one of the best GM's in the Biz!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Colbert is one of the best GM's in the Biz!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Ever notice other people always mention my stupid radio show and yet those same people will later accuse me of talking about it?

snatch, why make everything so personal. If you disagree with something I say, just state your case and we can discuss it. Calling names doesn't make for a healthy enjoyable message board.

Pot? Kettle??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I brought up your radio show because you constantly spew statistics and your personal opinion, both of which are perfectly fine. You are entitled to your own opinion and sometimes the fact checking/stat posting is very good. However you also jump on the ridiculous soap box and make terrible assumptions and outlandish claims based on god only knows what. I personally hate the doom and gloom, can't for the life of me figure out why anyone is hating on Colbert even with the Mahan, starks transition tag etc. He's done a pretty damn good job over the years and expect him to continue following suit. Starks was a necessary signing. Would I have transitioned tagged him and not resigned him? no.

You then go off on a quoting spree in some sort of half a$$ed attempt to discredit me and the end result is a slew of misquotes. Soooo don't try and redirect your blunder to my "personal attacks" when you just spent a half hour misquoting past posts of mine in an attempt to get "personal"

Legend

User Info Menu

Typical BS from the self proclaimed smartest person in the world. As soon as you saw who posted the thread you knew it was negative.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Ever notice other people always mention my stupid radio show and yet those same people will later accuse me of talking about it?

snatch, why make everything so personal. If you disagree with something I say, just state your case and we can discuss it. Calling names doesn't make for a healthy enjoyable message board.

Pot? Kettle??

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Typical BS from the self proclaimed smartest person in the world. .
    As soon as you provide the thread where I proclaimed myself to be the smartest person of the world, I will promise to never post again.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The "Lesion"-airre is back in form I see...
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Backup

User Info Menu

For the record, the reason why I have criticized Colbert is because I think
    this will become the story later in the year. As a steeler fan, I am concerned
    about the trends I am seeing from the front office. Specifically salary cap issues
    as well as Player Personnel. About 2 years ago, the New England Patriots were coming off
    an AFC Championship game loss and their team was something like 24 Million under the cap. That is what I call an extremely efficient front office. That allowed them to go out and get Moss, Welker, stallworth, etc etc. Steelers on the other hand are always up against the Cap with little wiggle room. The other issue is that while it’s not fair to criticize them for not drafting lineman this past draft, it is fair to critique other things that caused such a lackluster line of scrimmage. If you think that letting both Plaxico and
    Randle El go into free agency was the right move, fine. But the pressure is then on the GM to find those replacements. Colbert has effectively "missed" on Cedric Wilson, Nate Fred gibson & Willie Reid. None of these guys were able to adequately fill the Job Randle El did. Washington is a 4th receiver. His poor hands don't allow him to be an effective #3 WR. Cedric would entertain us for a game and then go away for 6 weeks. The truth is he just doesn't have the power to separate from opposing Defensive backs when they are physical with him at the LOS. Wille Reid has been in 2 Dog houses (cowher and Tomlins) since he was drafted. He hasn't even been able to fill the Punt return spot and this was supposed to be his "thing." Colbert finally filled Plaxico's starting spot with Holmes. And hopefully Limas Sweed can finally give us that third down receiver with an impact. Problem is that it took 3 years, and a slew of #1 and #2 picks that needed to be used to hopefully get back to where we were in 2004 at the receiver position. All of those misses forced the Steelers to take Receivers early and in the meantime the LOS has been neglected. You could deal with this if Colbert was finding a few gems later in the drafts. But he hasn't. His drafts after the 2nd round have been Busts for the most part.
    He's also missed in free agency with Mahan. Another waste of space on the salary cap.
    This "miss" forced him to go get Hartwig. We are now replacing bums with more bums.
    The bottom line is that I believe Colberts poor work since the SB has been under reported. Lets face the facts. The QB had a guy in his face all last year coming from all sorts of directions. And now we just lost the only All Pro we had on the line. We have people saying Kemo will step right in and play just as well if not better. I got news. Kemo just happens to be the guy first in line to get a shot at that job. He has done nothing in this league for anyone to predict his future. He simply is the first guy in line to get the first shot at that job. We might be sitting here 3 years from now still trying to find someone to fill faneca's shoes. Who knows? Mark these Words. If this thing falls apart this year and that offensive line bottoms out, and Aaron smith pulls a hamstring, Mike Tomlin will be the guy taking the heat. Maybe not from the more intelligent fans, but from most. Why? Because there is absolutely no one talking about the poor Work that has quietly gone on in the past few years in the front office. And it just might be catching up to the beloved Steelers. I don't wish for it. But that is just simply how I see it. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For the record, the reason why I have criticized Colbert is because I think this will become the story later in the year. As a Steeler fan, I am concerned about the trends I am seeing from the front office. Specifically salary cap issues as well as Player Personnel...The other issue is that while it’s not fair to criticize them for not drafting lineman this past draft, it is fair to critique other things that caused such a lackluster line of scrimmage.
    I agree with you here, there are some trouble spots brewing & what appears to be some denial in the front office as to the state of the offensive & defensive lines, & the eventual issues with Hines contract.

Colbert has effectively "missed" on Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington & Willie Reid. None of these guys were able to adequately fill the Job Randle El did...Problem is that it took 3 years, and a slew of #1 and #2 picks that needed to be used to hopefully get back to where we were in 2004 at the receiver position. All of those misses forced the Steelers to take Receivers early and in the meantime the LOS has been neglected. You could deal with this if Colbert was finding a few gems later in the drafts. But he hasn't. His drafts after the 2nd round have been Busts for the most part.
    Both agree & disagree here - Ced & Reid were misses, but Nate is not because he has clearly outplayed his UDFA origin (give a nod to the scouts here). Another problem was the loss of ARE, which in all fairness Colbert could not have prevented considering the money thrown at him & ARE's desire to be a starter. Ced could've filled the void, but was absolutely incapable of doing so & Colbert rightly deserves the blame for that. But couple that with the drafting of Gibson while passing on DL Canty who could've helped & it gets really damning. Regardless, I agree he's gotten too much of a pass on the late-round futility.

He's also missed in free agency with Mahan. Another waste of space on the salary cap. This "miss" forced him to go get Hartwig. We are now replacing bums with more bums. The bottom line is that I believe Colbert's poor work since the SB has been under reported. Lets face the facts. The QB had a guy in his face all last year coming from all sorts of directions. And now we just lost the only All Pro we had on the line...We might be sitting here 3 years from now still trying to find someone to fill faneca's shoes. Who knows?
    I'll agree with you on this one as well. Hartwig coming on the heels of Mahan does not inspire confidence, while signing Max to the money he did is head-scratching. I'll disagree on Faneca as Alan seemed like he wanted out & more importantly, wanted his money. And not to forget a complete lack of attention to the DL in both the draft & FA, where not only veteran depth but promising youth (like the aforementioned Canty & how about Cory Redding instead of Alonzo) has been needed to keep our defense among the elite. But concerning the draft, you certainly have to wonder if a re-vamping of the scouts responsible for recommending OL prospects is in order.

Mark these Words. If this thing falls apart this year and that offensive line bottoms out, and Aaron smith pulls a hamstring, Mike Tomlin will be the guy taking the heat. Maybe not from the more intelligent fans, but from most. Why? Because there is absolutely no one talking about the poor Work that has quietly gone on in the past few years in the front office. And it just might be catching up to the beloved Steelers. I don't wish for it. But that is just simply how I see it.
    Again we agree. Tomlin is the easy target, but Colbert has put the team in a bad position where it's possible that only Ben's exceptional play makes this team better than average. Hopefully the high draft picks will continue to step up & make big contributions, & Tomlin is a better coach than Colbert is a GM.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Backup

User Info Menu

[quote=Steel Life]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":3ol4q6gu
    For the record, the reason why I have criticized Colbert is because I think this will become the story later in the year. As a Steeler fan, I am concerned about the trends I am seeing from the front office. Specifically salary cap issues as well as Player Personnel...The other issue is that while it’s not fair to criticize them for not drafting lineman this past draft, it is fair to critique other things that caused such a lackluster line of scrimmage.
    I agree with you here, there are some trouble spots brewing & what appears to be some denial in the front office as to the state of the offensive & defensive lines, & the eventual issues with Hines contract.

Colbert has effectively "missed" on Cedric Wilson, Nate Washington & Willie Reid. None of these guys were able to adequately fill the Job Randle El did...Problem is that it took 3 years, and a slew of #1 and #2 picks that needed to be used to hopefully get back to where we were in 2004 at the receiver position. All of those misses forced the Steelers to take Receivers early and in the meantime the LOS has been neglected. You could deal with this if Colbert was finding a few gems later in the drafts. But he hasn't. His drafts after the 2nd round have been Busts for the most part.
    Both agree & disagree here - Ced & Reid were misses, but Nate is not because he has clearly outplayed his UDFA origin (give a nod to the scouts here). Another problem was the loss of ARE, which in all fairness Colbert could not have prevented considering the money thrown at him & ARE's desire to be a starter. Ced could've filled the void, but was absolutely incapable of doing so & Colbert rightly deserves the blame for that. But couple that with the drafting of Gibson while passing on DL Canty who could've helped & it gets really damning. Regardless, I agree he's gotten too much of a pass on the late-round futility.

He's also missed in free agency with Mahan. Another waste of space on the salary cap. This "miss" forced him to go get Hartwig. We are now replacing bums with more bums. The bottom line is that I believe Colbert's poor work since the SB has been under reported. Lets face the facts. The QB had a guy in his face all last year coming from all sorts of directions. And now we just lost the only All Pro we had on the line...We might be sitting here 3 years from now still trying to find someone to fill faneca's shoes. Who knows?
    I'll agree with you on this one as well. Hartwig coming on the heels of Mahan does not inspire confidence, while signing Max to the money he did is head-scratching. I'll disagree on Faneca as Alan seemed like he wanted out & more importantly, wanted his money. And not to forget a complete lack of attention to the DL in both the draft & FA, where not only veteran depth but promising youth (like the aforementioned Canty & how about Cory Redding instead of Alonzo) has been needed to keep our defense among the elite. But concerning the draft, you certainly have to wonder if a re-vamping of the scouts responsible for recommending OL prospects is in order.

Mark these Words. If this thing falls apart this year and that offensive line bottoms out, and Aaron smith pulls a hamstring, Mike Tomlin will be the guy taking the heat. Maybe not from the more intelligent fans, but from most. Why? Because there is absolutely no one talking about the poor Work that has quietly gone on in the past few years in the front office. And it just might be catching up to the beloved Steelers. I don't wish for it. But that is just simply how I see it.
    Again we agree. Tomlin is the easy target, but Colbert has put the team in a bad position where it's possible that only Ben's exceptional play makes this team better than average. Hopefully the high draft picks will continue to step up & make big contributions, & Tomlin is a better coach than Colbert is a GM.[/quote:3ol4q6gu]

Thanks for reponding. Well though out and not one personal insult nor a mention of my radio show.

I agree with you on Nate Not being a waste. I was basically referring to the #3 WR holee. But you also mention Fred Gibson. Another Draft Bust who I left out. I also failed to mention Okobi who is not in the league right now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Tomlin is a better coach than Colbert is a GM.
    Still to early to make that comment...