Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Rooneys = Vick??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Rooneys = Vick??

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    I have no thoughts on this point of view. Sounds like the Rhoden guy is just trying to stir the pot for a reaction.

Bingo.

I saw Rhoden on the sportsreporters sunday morning when he was talking about this topic. If that was the only thing he said that day I probably wouldn't have pegged him as a shock jock type personality, saying controversial things just to get noticed. But there was another comment he made on the show that was worse than equating dog racing to dog fighting.

One of the topics on the show was how Brandon Jennings an incoming freshmen basketball player is choosing to play in Europe for one year over playing at Arizona. Rhoden at that point compared the NCAA to working on a plantation. I mean I understand that the NCAA does have some unfair rules and limits players from making money but seriously a plantation? People getting a free education = working on a plantation now?

I really don't know why these type of people are called journalist anymore. If he actually did some research and interviewed people at the dog racing tracks that the Rooney's own and made a thoughtful comment about their specific treatment of dogs then he would have some credibility. But since he didn't he has none...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    I have no thoughts on this point of view. Sounds like the Rhoden guy is just trying to stir the pot for a reaction.

Rhoden at that point compared the NCAA to working on a plantation. I mean I understand that the NCAA does have some unfair rules and limits players from making money but seriously a plantation? People getting a free education = working on a plantation now?
    I'm you on this my friend!! NCAA athletes are treated in a manner that is totally opposite of the way people on plantations were treated. Had a white journalist with more credibility then this Rhoden schmuck said this, he would have some explaining to do.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    I really don't know why these type of people are called journalist anymore.
    Unbiased fair journalism is dead. Absolutely dead. I can't even read papers or watch the network news anymore. Between the flat out scare tactics, and the priority they show to certain stories, I don't even know what to think.

The media used to be something to be respected and depended upon. Now it's just a business, like everything else. Paris Hilton sells, actual news does not.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if you think dog racing is cruel and inhumane than you have to say the same thing about horse racing. i dont see any difference in the two. nothing angers me more than cruelity to animals especially dogs but i have nothing wrong with dog racing. this guy is a sorry ass journalist that obviously has something against the steelers or the rooneys. no one in their right mind can think dog racing and fighting are the same

Hardliner

I wasn't going to weigh in here because I might be over stepping into deep Steeler issues but have decided to get involved anyway, so take my comments for what they're worth, coming from an outsider to Steel Nation but very much within NFL discussion parameters.

I cannot see the comparison between dog racing and dog fighting being dastardly to the dog. I cannot. About 10 years ago, I lived near Wichita Greyhound Park and got to know some of the guys running the track along with the handlers. First of all WGP had an active and ongoing adoption program for dogs past their prime which the public fully supported and participated.

I also know from my friendships that the racing Greyhounds were well cared for and respected. Were they trained and pushed beyond normal limits of standard dog ownership? Of course they were, but, and I deign to make this statement, no more so than humans who elect to pursue a career in professional sports.

That all said, then we sort to the miserable scenes dipicted in the Mike Vick chronicles of running the Moonlight Dog Fighting ring where uncompetitive dogs were whacked in extremely inhuman methods because 'they couldn't fight good enough' (that coming from Vick operatives testimony given to the VA prosecutor and his inquiry into the matter).

I think this ESPN guy is wanting to make a name for himself, up his money so to speak, and has elected to besmirch on one of the most respected family names in NFL history to make his case. That's what I see and I will simply say, 'F' him and 'F' him!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

any of you guys crying over the treatment of horse/dogs eat meat of any kind? chicken, steak, hamburger, fish? ever think of how those animals are treated?
    These animals (dogs/horses used for racing) are normally treated much better than the average dog/horse. I see dogs that are in pens outside, chained up or fenced in outside regardless of whether it's sunny, rainy or snowing. Most race horse/dogs are treated very well and then when their careers are over, more often than not they are breeders. That isn't the case for EVERY dog owner that races. But for the most part it is.

I don't know who said it, but the thing about the stairs and the greyhound. what because it doesn't like stairs he was mistreated? my doberman HATES stairs. he's an indoor dog, but I live in a flat so, no stairs. when I take him to my moms house he cries the whole time if I'm upstairs or downstairs. he's not mistreated just not accustomed. Take any dog that was raised outside or in a kennel and bring him inside and they're going to have to learn how to adjust.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude...step away from the ledge.

Go read what was actually posted about racing dogs and stairs and get back to me.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

well said hardliner.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Go read what was actually posted about racing dogs and stairs and get back to me.
    re-read it. stand by what i said. maybe it's the way i'm reading it, but you seem full of disbelief that a dog would have to be trained to walk up and down stairs? and that they're nervous inside the house? that's just how i'm reading it...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

re-read it. stand by what i said. maybe it's the way i'm reading it, but you seem full of disbelief that a dog would have to be trained to walk up and down stairs? and that they're nervous inside the house? that's just how i'm reading it...
    Show me where I said they got that way from being abused. I said they got that way because they have never been around them and have to be retrained.