Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rooneys = Vick??

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Rooneys = Vick??

like i said stlrz it's just the way i read it. don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't see the post you had responded to until just now. sorry i hurt your feelings. damn.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i guess you don't know the difference between a question mark, a period and an exclamation point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here is an excerpt from my book The Man Code (sorry for the shameless plug) which seems pretty relevant...especially at the end.

In the world of character, few values can be considered as fundamental as respect. Whether you’re serving your country or you’re serving time in prison, respect is something that is craved by all men, yet curiously extended by a comparative few. However, there are many different kinds of respect as well as many different objects that are worthy of it, which is why it helps to organize this complex behavior into a few broad concepts.

As far as the types of respect, The Man Code advocates basically three different kinds: common, reverential, and self. Common respect involves the basic worth inherent with all things found in nature to include plants and animals, mountains and rivers, or anything in the web of ecosystems that connect and support the quality of life on this planet. People are also an obvious part of this natural world and each of us is born with a uniquely human quality known as dignity which demands respect, not just of ourselves but of our beliefs, constructs, and possessions as well. This doesn’t mean that we have to assess an equal value to everything just because it has an inherent worth; after all, an oak tree and a person probably shouldn’t receive the same level of common respect (sorry Buddhists). But their unique and autonomous existence does warrant a basic minimum standard of decency or what we call humane treatment. This means we don’t go around destroying, killing, damaging, or injuring anything in nature without it serving a greater purpose and then only after careful consideration. In the event any of these things must be done, we do them in a way that causes the least amount of suffering or other negative impact. Sometimes we need to harvest resources for food consumption, shelter and goods construction, or even to advance our more selfish endeavors such as supplying our fossil fuel demand or precious metal mining. When these things are deemed necessary, they should be done in the least disruptive ways to our environment, always with an eye towards replenishment, replacement, or conservation.

Men must also adopt rules for the treatment of other animals (including their killing) which adhere to the principles of common respect. With due respect to our vegetarian brethren, men are carnivorous by our very nature as hunters, which kind of starts the rest of the critters out there in a tough spot; but just because we eat them, doesn’t mean we can’t respect them. As a matter of fact, there should be some type of giant monument to our most beloved animals, the cow, chicken, and especially the pig (pork, ham, & bacon), built somewhere in middle of Iowa, to pay our national homage. Most animals aren’t afforded such admiration or mass slaughter, but when the immediate environment we share isn’t big enough for the existence of another species of carnivore or any other being that may pose some type of threat or hazard, one of us has to go. In addition to the criteria of food source or a realistic threat of danger, The Man Code only authorizes deadly force against animals when unfortunately for them, they are considered a big enough pest, such as cockroaches or termites; otherwise they should all be mostly be left alone. If they do become a qualified target, any animal should meet the most humane ending possible, although that might be difficult when dealing with an attacking bear, or even an annoying mosquito (which by the way meets two of the death criteria due to the potential of disease). No animal should ever be killed or injured simply for sport or amusement (this does not include catch and release fishing), they shouldn’t be harmed for their fur or hide (if it’s not on a menu then you can’t wear it), or kept in unsanitary, restrictive, or otherwise cruel conditions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":15p3jz15
    Dude...step away from the ledge.

Go read what was actually posted about racing dogs and stairs and get back to me.
    re-read it. stand by what i said. maybe it's the way i'm reading it, but you seem full of disbelief that a dog would have to be trained to walk up and down stairs? and that they're nervous inside the house? that's just how i'm reading it...
    Show me where I said they got that way from being abused. I said they got that way because they have never been around them and have to be retrained.[/quote:15p3jz15]

You are correct. It has nothing to do with how they are treated.

[url]http://www.regapct.com/faq.html#q9[/url]

They've just been raised in a completely different way than most dogs. You can't even let them run on pavement until their paws toughen up some because all they've ever known is sand. They've never seen stairs, or windows, or screens... they just need to learn.

I think one of the reasons people think that greyhounds are treated poorly is because they are so laid back, almost to the point where they seem timid and scared. They also shiver and shake a lot because they have no body fat and very very thin coats. You're supposed to buy your greyhound a coat if you keep your house cold.

Trust me, I've been through all the questions. My fiancee has her heart set on adopting a greyhound, so I've met quite a few of them. I've also pestered the snot out of the folks that run the adoption agency.

That being said dog racing in no way shape or form compares to dog fighting. Now if one of the Rooney was dating an underage girl or stomping on opponents like Marcus Vick did... THEN we'd have a comparison!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    like i said stlrz it's just the way i read it. don't get your panties in a bunch. I didn't see the post you had responded to until just now. sorry i hurt your feelings. damn.
    Seems to be some misunderstanding from both of us.

How about we just forget about the whole thing?