Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rooneys = Vick??

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rooneys = Vick??

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Comparing dog fighting and dog racing is like comparing track stars to MMA fighters.
    The first thing I thought of when I read the article was 100m dash vs. UFC. We must be on the same wavelength.
    If the track stars were kept in tiny cages you might have a point.
    And if the UFC was a fight to the death.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by anger 82&95
    Dog racing is comparable to dog fighting??? Maybe if you live in Rod Serling’s dimension...

Honestly it's not far from it from a cruelty stand point. I personally was less than pleased when I found out the Rooneys had a dog racing track. The dogs race and when they are no longer on top of their game they are either put to sleep and dumped in some times gruesome mass graves or if they are lucky rescued by a Greyhound group. The animal cruelty is definitely there and while may not be as evident from the onset it rears it's ugly head behind the scenes. I know that Mountaineer at one point was under some serious heat for a few mass graves they had on the property.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Like Snatch said, I too was disappointed to learn that the Rooney's were involved in dog racing. While I appreciate and agree with the opinions of those of you who say that the dogs are treated well during their careers, its after their racing days are over (like in horse racing) where the cruelty and neglect begin. My sister-in-law rescued a Greyhound a few years back. His name is Phillipe and he is one of the sweetest dogs you'll ever meet. But the first few months she had him, he was a nervous wreck. I'm just guessing that he wasn't treated very nicely from the time his racing days were over to when she adopted him.

These dogs were born to run - no question about that. I wouldn't have a problem with dog racing if there was a better system in place to ensure their care once they are no longer competitive.

But I would never compare dog racing to dog fighting. I agree that this clown is just trying to stir the pot.

Legend

User Info Menu

rpmpit - I am not a fan of either dog or horse racing. I believe the world would be a better place without either of them personally.

That being said, I do recall many years ago seeing a story on the adoption of racing dogs and I remember them showing that the dogs are nervous until they can acclimate because they've never been in a household atmosphere before. Some of them had to be taught (as adult dogs) how to walk up and down stairs because they had never seen them before.

I never would have imagined it myself and had I not seen it for myself I would have a difficult time believing it.

But again...if horse racing and dog racing were gone tomorrow it would be fine with me.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    rpmpit - I am not a fan of either dog or horse racing. I believe the world would be a better place without either of them personally.

That being said, I do recall many years ago seeing a story on the adoption of racing dogs and I remember them showing that the dogs are nervous until they can acclimate because they've never been in a household atmosphere before. Some of them had to be taught (as adult dogs) how to walk up and down stairs because they had never seen them before.

I never would have imagined it myself and had I not seen it for myself I would have a difficult time believing it.

But again...if horse racing and dog racing were gone tomorrow it would be fine with me.
    Yeah, definitely. That is part of it. But Philippe also exhibited other behavior which led us (and our vet) to believe that he was physically abused or otherwise neglected.

I recently saw a news program (it might have been on HBO??) about retired race horses that are sold at auction (mostly to be shipped down to Mexico for butchering). I was never a big fan of horse racing but this completely turned me off to it. I won't go into detail but it was very sad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

Yeah, definitely. That is part of it. But Philippe also exhibited other behavior which led us (and our vet) to believe that he was physically abused or otherwise neglected.

I recently saw a news program (it might have been on HBO??) about retired race horses that are sold at auction (mostly to be shipped down to Mexico for butchering). I was never a big fan of horse racing but this completely turned me off to it. I won't go into detail but it was very sad.
    Oh it's quite possible...I was just relating what I had seen.

I saw the same story on HBO and it was sad and disgusting what they do to the horses who no longer have "value".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone here eat meat? I'm sure you all do, I know I do... and its darned delicious.

Dog racing is closer to factory farming than it is to Dog Fighting. The dogs are used for a purpose, and then disposed of (albeit, not always humanely). A lot of them are rescued, but I'm sure even more are put to sleep or worse. Pigs, cows and chickens live much worse lives and they ALL die at the end, none of them are rescued. So how is that any different? Read up on factory farming, its horrific stuff. The one example that sticks with me is that they'll cut off the beaks of chickens so they don't peck each other in the close quarters.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming[/url]

And before anyone says "yeah, but dogs are smarter than livestock." Keep in mind that pigs are regarded as at least as intelligent as dogs, if not more so.

That being said. Here are my quick thoughts:

Dog fighting = horrific.
    Dog racing = bad but not horrible
    Eating factory farmed meat = bad but delicious
    Eating locally/organically/farm raised meat = good but expensive
    Eating factory farmed meat with one hand, bashing the Rooneys for owning a racetrack with the other = hypocritical

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Anyone here eat meat? I'm sure you all do, I know I do... and its darned delicious.

Dog racing is closer to factory farming than it is to Dog Fighting. The dogs are used for a purpose, and then disposed of (albeit, not always humanely). A lot of them are rescued, but I'm sure even more are put to sleep or worse. Pigs, cows and chickens live much worse lives and they ALL die at the end, none of them are rescued. So how is that any different? Read up on factory farming, its horrific stuff. The one example that sticks with me is that they'll cut off the beaks of chickens so they don't peck each other in the close quarters.

And before anyone says "yeah, but dogs are smarter than livestock." Keep in mind that pigs are regarded as at least as intelligent as dogs, if not more so.

Dog fighting = horrific.
    Eating factory farmed meat with one hand, bashing the Rooneys for owning a racetrack with the other = hypocritical
    Yeah, we are all hypocrites to one degree or another. For me, its mainly because I am a dog lover who can't imagine that type of cruelty committed against one of my dogs. We put animals into categories as food, sport or companion and we expect the rest of the world to comply to our standards.

I guess the only people that can truely argue against animal cruely are vegetarians.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dog fighting = horrific.
    Yeah, we are all hypocrites to one degree or another. For me, its mainly because I am a dog lover who can't imagine that type of cruelty committed against one of my dogs. We put animals into categories as food, sport or companion and we expect the rest of the world to comply to our standards.

I guess the only people that can truely argue against animal cruely are vegetarians.
    Hah you should see what those sickos do to broccoli!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dog fighting = horrific.

Hah you should see what those sickos do to broccoli!!!
    I've seen some video of molten cheese being poured over their heads. Its horrific.