Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has 'Chief's' warning been forgotten?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Has 'Chief's' warning been forgotten?

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":1c7anxb0
    Nky - Why is it you think only the Rooneys can be this patient?
    Because I haven't seen anyone else do it in this league ...
    So you're basically dismissing Drukenmiller before he gets a chance (if he gets a chance) because of what other people have done. Keep in mind that he's a fan of this organization for the same reasons we all are...why would you automatically assume that he'll change the way things are done? He made his fortunes outside of the NFL so he can afford to be a hands off owner. The Steelers machine will keep humming and he'll make plenty of money from them AND his other business interests.

In all honesty, I don't think it's very fair to Drukenmiller that people make assumptions.

If I had my way I would like to see the Steelers continue to be owned only by the Rooney family, but from what I've seen of this guy so far my concerns are at a minimum.[/quote:1c7anxb0]

One very key point: toward the end of the article by Smizik, he quoted the Chief and what he foresaw happening with his Steelers if the sons didn't come to some sort of "understanding".

The Chief was clairvoyant. He knew this could happen and now the pigeons are coming home to roost because his sons didn't resolve differences, mend fences and otherwise didn't fix business the way it should have been fixed regarding the family heirloom of the Steelers.

Now Dan Rooney, and Art II, by extension, are behind the eight ball financially and need a rainmaker to save the day. Dan should have diversified his holdings and possibly invited a few into his inner circle that could partner with him when the time came.

Well, the time has come and Rooney, evidently, has not assembled an inner circle and may now be at the mercy of his brothers selection of whomever they choose to sell their interest of the Steelers to.

All in all, not a good situation for Dan Rooney.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

I have to totally disagree with the sentiment that a fan couldn't be a good owner. I have agreed with nearly every decision the Rooneys have made in the last 5 season.

I would have let Faneca walk.
    I would let Marvel walk after this season.
    If Bettis hadn't taken a home team discount his azz would have been gone too.
    If Ward wants to play games with his next contract...gone.

I love my team more than the individual players. I believe an owner can be a fan and a terrific owner.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I have to totally disagree with the sentiment that a fan couldn't be a good owner. I have agreed with nearly every decision the Rooneys have made in the last 5 season.

I love my team more than the individual players. I believe an owner can be a fan and a terrific owner.
    However, you might take all of the money set aside for next year's rookie pool, and spend it on a crunked-out pimp-cup for yourself instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

However, you might take all of the money set aside for next year's rookie pool, and spend it on a crunked-out pimp-cup for yourself instead.
    Wurd.

Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bottom line is that if Druckenmiller is as big of a fan as he claims to be, he should have a great understanding of the tradition and the culture of the team.... with a keen eye on the unique fan base the Steelers have. He can't come in and go all Mark Cuban on the organization. The fan base would freak. The team has always been blue collar through and through. This is reflected in even how the team has been ran by the owners for decades. This is one of the most endearing quality of the team to its fans.... I can see him "tweaking" some things, but rampaging through the process of what this team was built on would be just plain dumb.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with NKY. The thought of anyone other than the Rooney's owning this team is making me ill. Maybe you have to live in the Burgh (Although I know NKY doesn't) to be sick over this, everyone I know around here is. Hopefully Dan and AR2 can work something out.

Legend

User Info Menu

This issue is hard for me to follow. I just can't see anyone keeping faith in coaches, keeping cheerleaders out, building the reality we know as the Steelers, as can Rooney blood.

I admit that I am doing the "head in the sand and it will disappear" thing. I just don't see any good here, and don't like to face it.

Sorry.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Starter

User Info Menu

...I'll take the security of this proven family owner...
    Um, doesn't the very situation we are in disprove the guarrantee of security by "family" owners?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JAR
    I agree with NKY. The thought of anyone other than the Rooney's owning this team is making me ill. Maybe you have to live in the Burgh (Although I know NKY doesn't) to be sick over this, everyone I know around here is. Hopefully Dan and AR2 can work something out.
    Hey, grew-up there and lived there for many, many years before leaving due to work....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NC Steeler Fan
    ...I'll take the security of this proven family owner...
    Um, doesn't the very situation we are in disprove the guarrantee of security by "family" owners?
    What situation would that be?.... That we are on only our 3rd HC in something like 50 years?.... What other organizatioin is that tollerant and stable nowadays in the NFL?