Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvel Smith doubtful in '09...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Marvel Smith doubtful in '09...

This is from James Walkers' article, Contract Years in The AFC North....

[url="http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-8-131/Contract-years-in-AFC-North.html"]http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0- ... North.html[/url]

4. Marvel Smith, LT, Pittsburgh Steelers

The Steelers have a way of not giving contract extensions to players 30 years or older (see Alan Faneca). Unfortunately for Marvel Smith, he turns 30 next month, and thus the Steelers have been very quiet on the contract front. Considering that Smith plays left tackle, a good season could garner an extension. But that would go against a serious Steelers staple.

Chances of Smith playing for Pittsburgh in 2009: 40 percent.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Marvel Smith doubtful in '09...

Nky,
    My heart almost stopped, I thought he got hurt or something.

.... Out of curiousity, with your post total-- are you posting while you fly?????
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    Nky,

.... Out of curiousity, with your post total-- are you posting while you fly?????
    Shhhhh.......... !!!!..........
    Eh, excuse me for a minute......

"Yes Trixie, I'll have the chicken tonight if there is any left over in 1st class..."........ OK, I'm back.....

Seriously, No.... I just have no life and too much time off...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Nky,

Shhhhh.......... !!!!..........
    Eh, excuse me for a minute......

"Yes Trixie, I'll have the chicken tonight if there is any left over in 1st class..."........ OK, I'm back.....

Seriously, No.... I just have no life and too much time off...
    I figured as much, I just noticed your total is all.

PS...There is no such thing as too much time off.

On the topic at hand. I don't expect Marvel back either. I don't think the FO wants to take a risk on guaranteed money until they see if he is indeed healthy. And since they don't negotiate during the season, that would have to be after this year. And if he returns to his healthy self, he will be too expensive on the open market, And if he sucks we won't want him back anyways. So I agree this is most likely Marvel's last year in the Black and Gold.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think the FO wants to take a risk on guaranteed money until they see if he is indeed healthy. And since they don't negotiate during the season, that would have to be after this year. And if he returns to his healthy self, he will be too expensive on the open market, And if he sucks we won't want him back anyways. So I agree this is most likely Marvel's last year in the Black and Gold.
    Agreed... I'm really not sold on the guy, but who else do we really have at this point in time? When he's healthy, he plays at a decent level, but when he's not healthy, well....

Personally, the O-line is the single area that seriously concerns me. Not only for this coming season, but the near future as well. ... We really need to start NOW to regain the dominant O-line for the future.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

On the topic at hand. I don't expect Marvel back either. I don't think the FO wants to take a risk on guaranteed money until they see if he is indeed healthy. And since they don't negotiate during the season, that would have to be after this year. And if he returns to his healthy self, he will be too expensive on the open market, And if he sucks we won't want him back anyways. So I agree this is most likely Marvel's last year in the Black and Gold.
    Respectfully disagree. I think he reports to camp in great shape, proves he can still play at a high level, and gets an extension in early Sept before the season starts.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I don't think the FO wants to take a risk on guaranteed money until they see if he is indeed healthy. And since they don't negotiate during the season, that would have to be after this year. And if he returns to his healthy self, he will be too expensive on the open market, And if he sucks we won't want him back anyways. So I agree this is most likely Marvel's last year in the Black and Gold.
    Agreed... I'm really not sold on the guy, but who else do we really have at this point in time? When he's healthy, he plays at a decent level, but when he's not healthy, well....

Personally, the O-line is the single area that seriously concerns me. Not only for this coming season, but the near future as well. ... We really need to start NOW to regain the dominant O-line for the future.
    We really should have adressed this o-line issue last year.
    We really should have adressed this o-line issue this year.
    Now we have to adress both sides of the line for the next two years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm starting to get concerned with all these contracts being in their last year what We're planning to do! WTF I NEED TO KNOW!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If we lose Starks, Essex and Smith to FA we could be in some trouble. I still think one or two may be resigned before 2008 starts
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We need to sign at least one of them before the season starts. Are there any prospects for next years draft?