Thread: Dr. De Bakey.

BIG FAN

Dr. De Bakey.

I put this in general discussion because I really think that any of us who ever had to undergo or go through a loved one who had a heart that needed help, deserve to take a moment for for one of the founding pioneers who actually by being on this planet made the quality of life as we know it what it is today.
    I cant give this man accolades that he has already not been given. He is lauded.
    I will take this moment to tell anyone who cares or wants to listen, about a five year old boy who met him.
    They flew my father to Texas Medical Center after a crane snapped on deck of the load he was going to handle collapsed and when it struck him ripped his chest apart.
    I remember mostly Dr. De Bakey telling my mother, "There is no reason with the damage to his heart why this man should even be alive, but we will help him the best we can."
    He did well, and so did my Dad. Dr. DeBakey gave him close to another thirty years when others at the time could not or WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING.
    This might not be the forum for unsung hero's but this man is one of mine.

Re: Dr. De Bakey.

Now...I know why you can actually tolerate us.

Seriously though...good story.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    I put this in general discussion because I really think that any of us who ever had to undergo or go through a loved one who had a heart that needed help, deserve to take a moment for for one of the founding pioneers who actually by being on this planet made the quality of life as we know it what it is today.
    I cant give this man accolades that he has already not been given. He is lauded.
    I will take this moment to tell anyone who cares or wants to listen, about a five year old boy who met him.
    They flew my father to Texas Medical Center after a crane snapped on deck of the load he was going to handle collapsed and when it struck him ripped his chest apart.
    I remember mostly Dr. De Bakey telling my mother, "There is no reason with the damage to his heart why this man should even be alive, but we will help him the best we can."
    He did well, and so did my Dad. Dr. DeBakey gave him close to another thirty years when others at the time could not or WOULD NOT DO ANYTHING.
    Wow! That's quite a story BF. Dare I say that that is the Hippocratic Oath in action.

I suppose that my own father could have used someone like Dr. DeBakey. His heart simply gave out after several years worth of cardiac issues. On the other hand, his situation seemed to worsen after mom's death and the onset of depression coupled with his heart condition exacerbated his decline.

The medical field is still a place where miracles happen. Dr. DeBakey was one of those doctors who had miracles in reserve.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Wow! That's quite a story BF. Dare I say that that is the Hippocratic Oath in action.

I suppose that my own father could have used someone like Dr. DeBakey. His heart simply gave out after several years worth of cardiac issues. On the other hand, his situation seemed to worsen after mom's death and the onset of depression coupled with his heart condition exacerbated his decline.

The medical field is still a place where miracles happen. Dr. DeBakey was one of those doctors who had miracles in reserve.
    It should be called Imhotep's Oath.

Ok just a random comment. Good bye.

Great story btw.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112

Great story btw.
    Since you are the practitioner, or, soon-to-be, I'll defer to your judgment in this area.

Imhotep had a couple millenia on Hippocrates, so it would logically follow that he had a solid head start. He was also the one who took mysticism out of the equation and introduced medicine based on anatomy, diagnosis and cure. I'm sure Hippocrates was familiar with him.

There goeth the pre-Christian history lesson.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112

Great story btw.
    Since you are the practitioner, or, soon-to-be, I'll defer to your judgment in this area.

Imhotep had a couple millenia on Hippocrates, so it would logically follow that he had a solid head start. He was also the one who took mysticism out of the equation and introduced medicine based on anatomy, diagnosis and cure. I'm sure Hippocrates was familiar with him.

There goeth the pre-Christian history lesson.
    The Egyptians surgeries were amazingly accurate as well.

And he mapped out the human anatomy pretty damn well.