BIG FAN

Re: Marvel Smith doubtful in '09...

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s
    Lets hope Tony Hills is the answer.
    From your mouth to God's ear.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I had Hills in high regard early on in the draft cycle. The injury concerns and poor testing happens, but usually at the expense of draft status. If he is fully healthy, I think Hills will be even more of a steal than Sweed or Mendy.

Smith is at that borderline where the Steelers typically just let players of his age walk. If he has a good camp, I would expect that he would get an extension prior to the start of the season.

So many players on the Steelers have looming contract issues that is appears to be a cause for alarm. I think signing Smith would be a leap of faith, but may be necessary to keep some form of continuity on the roster.

Based on the past track record of the Steelers FO, that 40% is no surprise. But since the Steelers haven't been as active in drafting help in the trenches, it becomes more necessary to toss a little more at established commodities. Smith being a proven commodity at T, the Steelers may not chafe quite as hard at his looming contract bid as they did at Faneca who has spent most of his career at G. Fair or not, Ts typically get better love in contract dealings than Gs.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski

On the topic at hand. I don't expect Marvel back either. I don't think the FO wants to take a risk on guaranteed money until they see if he is indeed healthy. And since they don't negotiate during the season, that would have to be after this year. And if he returns to his healthy self, he will be too expensive on the open market, And if he sucks we won't want him back anyways. So I agree this is most likely Marvel's last year in the Black and Gold.

Depends on who the owner is. You may see a seriuosly change in the "Rooney Way" if some billionaire grabs control of the team. Right now Drunkenmiller is saying all the right things to get control but alot may change once he signs on the dotted line.

Legend

User Info Menu

I give Marvel about a 0% chance of being re-signed.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I agree with you. Although, I would like them to resign him. I feel that when Smith is right, Big Ben would not trade him for anyone.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    We need to sign at least one of them before the season starts. Are there any prospects for next years draft?
    I'd say at least a half dozen OT's go in the first round (Michael Oher, Andre Smith, Ciron Black, Max Unger, Phil Loadholt, and Alex Boone), plus you have some interior linemen like guards Duke Robinson and Jeremy Perry and center Alex Mack that will merit first day considersation as well.

Here is Walter Cherepinsky's 2009 OT preview: [url]http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009OT.php[/url]

Here is a rundown of some of the top o-line prospect in '09 from fftoolbox: [url]http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2009/top-nfl-prospects-for-2009.cfm?pos=OL[/url]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigLebowski
    I agree with you. Although, I would like them to resign him. I feel that when Smith is right, Big Ben would not trade him for anyone.
    The problem with Marvel is that he has only been able to stay healthy every other year since 2002.
    [url="http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasyfootball/players/playerpage/187650"]http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fanta ... age/187650[/url]

After this year he is due to miss at least 4 games in 2009 and be hampered by what ever ailment when he actually does play.

Another AS masterpiece.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not worried about Marvell's motivation this year -- being a contract year and all. He will show up in shape and play well. The big IF being -- if his back is better.

If his back is toast and he wears out, the Starks signing will seem brilliant.

If he plays well the entire year - then we get a good year out of him. My belief is he will either walk or we will transition him for the following year.

So, we may have zero, 1, or 2 good years out of Smith.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

ditto... but, we already knew that... and that's why some of us wanted a whole gang of offensive linemen drafted... early and often.

Tony Hills better prove to be a steal or we'll be stuck over-paying in free agency next year. Or trying to find a way to get an o-lineman early in this next draft... to go along with the LB we'll need to replace Farrior.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington