Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

BIG FAN

Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

News from Green Bay.
    Backups?
    We dont need no stinkin' backups.

Most of the people posting on here about this issue are right, bow out gracefully Brett.
    The Packers, the NFL, for that matter doesen't need this crap. Be an old soldier, dont die just fade away and leave the most wonderful memories as the legacy you proudly gave the this game.

LasVegasGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    I think its an a$$hole move if they are only keeping him to prevent him from playing elsewhere. If they plan on starting the best QB after preseason then yes its the right move. To me it sounds like they are going to start rogers reguardless of who is better. I'm only guessing but i assume they think Farve will stay retired and save them the 12 mill if he thinks he will be a backup. That is why i think he should call their bluff and take the 12 mill as a back up.
    Well, wouldn't it be a good business decision to try to keep him from playing for another team, especially if there is any possibility of him playing AGAINST them? Yes, it does sound as if Rodgers will be the starter, and I think it should be that way.

Hypothetical situation for you: .... Assume that Ben gets banged-up this year and next year due to a poor O-line and announces that he's going to retire... Then comes back and asks to be released outright the following summer... Would it not be a good move for the Steelers to refuse such a request?...
    This is exactly why it is an as$-hole move? First, you have already made the decision to move on without Favre and second if you believe Farve has nothing left then you should be glad to see him suit up for a divisional rival. Playing hardball with someones livelyhood is not a cool move. He did sign a contract and he is tied to it but if the team that holds your rights doesn't want you then the next move is to release him. Favre has asked to come back and play FOR THE PACKERS and since he was able to get the team to the NFC Championship game the prior year he deserves the starting role and if you can't accomodate that request the next move is to release him not blackball him.

I understand your aggravation with the circus surrounding Favre's decision to retire then unretire only to retire again but football is all these guys know. If this was about money I would seriously be pissed off. Favre has game and last year he was probably better then most in the league. Not giving him the chance to play the game he loves for the team he loves is an as$-hole move by the Packers.

As for your Ben example why is he asking for his release? Is it to leave the Steelers or are the Steelers saying you have nothing left but we still want to keep your rights. I say in your example that we make Ben the starter or we release him to pursue other options. Just hanging on to him so he doesn't play for the Browns, Ravens or Bengals is not fair to Ben and would be a dick move by the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

This isn't about whether or not the Packers believe Favre has anything left...it's about Favre jerking them around. As he's done for several recent off seasons. This last one was the straw that broke the camel's back. He retired...then called the Packers a few weeks later and said he changed his mind and wants to play. The Packers told Rodgers Brett is coming back and arranged a charter flight to MS with the intention of meeting with Favre. Two days before the flight Favre called the Packers and said he wanted to stay retired.

That's when the Packers basically said enough is enough and it's time for us to move forward with Rodgers. They know Favre can still play which is why they don't want him going to a division rival (plus the PR nightmare that would be) or even another NFC team.

If anyone is an asshole here it's Favre for making what is a difficult job (GM of an NFL franchise) even more difficult.

If Fave hadn't pulled all this diva bull**** and made his intentions clear the Packers would be happy to have him back.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    This isn't about whether or not the Packers believe Favre has anything left...it's about Favre jerking them around. As he's done for several recent off seasons. This last one was the straw that broke the camel's back. He retired...then called the Packers a few weeks later and said he changed his mind and wants to play. The Packers told Rodgers Brett is coming back and arranged a charter flight to MS with the intention of meeting with Favre. Two days before the flight Favre called the Packers and said he wanted to stay retired.

That's when the Packers basically said enough is enough and it's time for us to move forward with Rodgers. They know Favre can still play which is why they don't want him going to a division rival (plus the PR nightmare that would be) or even another NFC team.

If anyone is an asshole here it's Favre for making what is a difficult job (GM of an NFL franchise) even more difficult.

If Fave hadn't pulled all this diva bull**** and made his intentions clear the Packers would be happy to have him back.
    I was actually waiting to see what you'd say on As The Favre Turns before commenting myself.

Sure, the Viqueens and Da Bears could use him, not to mention the Murder City Kitties. I'm quite sure the Packers want to hold the trump card as long as they can. They are reasonably sure they can unload him in trade and get something worthwhile for him. But the Packers are doing it the smart way and they are stoning Favre in the process.

In his mind, Favre>NFL>Packers. Sure, he has stats that partially back up that claim. But let's just say that the Packers could deal him to, say, the Falcons. Dude, Favre would get his head beat off because the Falcons are no damned good. They did draft Baker with their first pick, but he'll be starting from Day 1 in ATL out of necessity. I liked Baker (a lot) during the draft season. But not even I'm so sure that he could step in from Day 1 like Thomas did for the Clowns and just own the position. That would mean bad things for Favre if he landed in the Falcons lair.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LVG, if you read the article I posted a few posts above, it pretty much states that they were willing to bring him back into the fold, but he screwed 'em again...

Backup

User Info Menu

I think everyone agree's the on again off again retirment of Farve is old. But when a HOF player decides to retire for good it should be the players choice not the clubs. With the last move by the Packers they are aying sure Farve you can unretire but you've still played your last game of football , you can't start here or play anywhere else. Basicly they are forcing the retirment apon him.

Legend

User Info Menu

LVG, if you read the article I posted a few posts above, it pretty much states that they were willing to bring him back into the fold, but he screwed 'em again...
    Exactly. This is all about Favre putting the Packers in this position. They have tried to work with him and he strings them along every year.

BEH - When a person lives in this town the Packers is about all one hears about.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    I think everyone agree's the on again off again retirment of Farve is old. But when a HOF player decides to retire for good it should be the players choice not the clubs. With the last move by the Packers they are aying sure Farve you can unretire but you've still played your last game of football , you can't start here or play anywhere else. Basicly they are forcing the retirment apon him.
    You do realize they welcomed him back, and even went so far as to tell Rodgers he wouldn't be the starter because Brett was coming back...and a few days later Brett changed his mind yet again and said he was going to stay retired, right???

Legend

User Info Menu

Just wanted to throw out this hypothetical situation:

There is tension between veteran QB Brett Favre and GM Ted Thompson.

There is also tension between veteran DE Jason Taylor and GM Bill Parcells.

Could the Packers and Dolphins possibly swap their respective former-face-of-the-team but current-problem-child?

Parcells would get a veteran presence at the most important position (I don't think he necessarily wants to hand over the reins to young-uns like Beck or Henne immediately).

Thompson gets yet another pass-rusher to go along with Kampman and KGB.

Sure, both players may only play maybe another year, but...

Who would blink first in a straight up Favre-for-Taylor swap?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

LasVegasGuy

You guys see this as Favre screwing them. I see it as a guy that is really, really struggling with the finality of retirement. Granted, he has done the Packers dirty with his on again, off again drama but the Packers aren't making anything better by not releasing him or declaring him the starter. Packers can't have their cake and eat it too. Eventually, you have to decide what to do with Favre you can't force a guy into retirement like the Packers are trying to do.