Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,626

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    LVG, if you read the article I posted a few posts above, it pretty much states that they were willing to bring him back into the fold, but he screwed 'em again...

    You guys see this as Favre screwing them. I see it as a guy that is really, really struggling with the finality of retirement. Granted, he has done the Packers dirty with his on again, off again drama but the Packers aren't making anything better by not releasing him or declaring him the starter. Packers can't have their cake and eat it too. Eventually, you have to decide what to do with Favre you can't force a guy into retirement like the Packers are trying to do.
    It sucks that it has come down to this for the Packers but put yourself in their shoes. What? You release him so he can go sign with the Vikings and whip your a$$ and win the division...all because you felt bad for him that he effed you the entire offseason and you wanted to be nice and let him play somewhere? I wouldn't want that for Ben if he did this so he could go to the Stains and win the division. Player is under contract and HE decided to retire. Come back I guess and try to be the starter and compete, but I say no to releasing him.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  2. #32
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    LVG, if you read the article I posted a few posts above, it pretty much states that they were willing to bring him back into the fold, but he screwed 'em again...

    You guys see this as Favre screwing them. I see it as a guy that is really, really struggling with the finality of retirement. Granted, he has done the Packers dirty with his on again, off again drama but the Packers aren't making anything better by not releasing him or declaring him the starter. Packers can't have their cake and eat it too. Eventually, you have to decide what to do with Favre you can't force a guy into retirement like the Packers are trying to do.
    It sucks that it has come down to this for the Packers but put yourself in their shoes. What? You release him so he can go sign with the Vikings and whip your a$$ and win the division...all because you felt bad for him that he effed you the entire offseason and you wanted to be nice and let him play somewhere? I wouldn't want that for Ben if he did this so he could go to the Stains and win the division. Player is under contract and HE decided to retire. Come back I guess and try to be the starter and compete, but I say no to releasing him.
    You need to add Favre to your list!

  3. #33
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Out with the chickens...
    Posts
    642

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    LVG, if you read the article I posted a few posts above, it pretty much states that they were willing to bring him back into the fold, but he screwed 'em again...

    I see it as a guy that is really, really struggling with the finality of retirement. ... but the Packers aren't making anything better by not releasing him or declaring him the starter. Packers can't have their cake and eat it too. ...you can't force a guy into retirement like the Packers are trying to do.
    I disagree on all counts.

    1. I don't think Favre has ever really considered the finality of retirement and that's his biggest problem. I think he is emotionally immature and has no clue what he really wants. This has been going on waaaaay long enough with him that by now he'd certainly gotten enough advice and guidance from those around him to make up his mind, yet he hasn't. This is still a business and he needs to man up, period.

    2. Again, this is a business. The Packers would be beyond stupid to simply release a guy who's still under contract without getting anything for him. It sets a dangerous precedent. Teams need to be able to plan, others players need to be able to plan and develop. This expectation on Favre's part that HE can jerk the team, his teammates and the fans around and can have his cake and eat it too is the icing on the cake for me.

    3. No one forced Brett to do anything. If anything, Brett has forced the Packers to make a firm stand because he seems incapable of doing so.

    4. If I was Brett's wife I'd be embarrassed beyond belief. I certainly hope his ego and view of himself in the world doesn't translate over into his family life or there are some seriously dysfunctional relationships going on there too...
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

    "18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

  4. #34
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    1,875

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    not importantant at all but Buckey - the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan (who is Baker?)

    The Packers shouldn't just release Farve. What if every good player who didn't like his contract "said" he was done with football and retired and then singed with whatever team he wanted a few months later becasue he "decided" he still had some football left in him? Teams need to retain this power. You'd have 25 year olds retiring all the time.

    And I also think the Packers don't owe it to Farve to allow him to go sign with the Vikings (who may be a QB away from making serious noise) and beat the Packers. That's ludicrous. If they have the contract - that Farve willingly signed, then the Pack owns him. Any issues, BF brought on himself.

    Regradless of who you think is right - in my mind a grown man doesn't act this way. A man of character doesn't go back on his word, not once but numerous times. A man of integrity bows out of the situation with class and dignity. He has more money than he could possibly spend (and will continue to make tons from his NFL association) so spare me the schtick about providing for his family. Great QB but if he returns I'll be actively rooting for him to fail. And it's a damn shame it's come to this.

  5. #35
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,365

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    not importantant at all but Buckey - the Falcons drafted Matt Ryan (who is Baker?)

    The Packers shouldn't just release Farve. What if every good player who didn't like his contract "said" he was done with football and retired and then singed with whatever team he wanted a few months later becasue he "decided" he still had some football left in him? Teams need to retain this power. You'd have 25 year olds retiring all the time.

    And I also think the Packers don't owe it to Farve to allow him to go sign with the Vikings (who may be a QB away from making serious noise) and beat the Packers. That's ludicrous. If they have the contract - that Farve willingly signed, then the Pack owns him. Any issues, BF brought on himself.

    Regradless of who you think is right - in my mind a grown man doesn't act this way. A man of character doesn't go back on his word, not once but numerous times. A man of integrity bows out of the situation with class and dignity. He has more money than he could possibly spend (and will continue to make tons from his NFL association) so spare me the schtick about providing for his family. Great QB but if he returns I'll be actively rooting for him to fail. And it's a damn shame it's come to this.
    The Falcons traded back up into the first round to draft USC tackle Sam Baker.


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  6. #36
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    NC - You have no idea how dysfunctional the relationship is between Brett and Deanna.

    I heard on Fox Sports radio that Favre is going to be interviewed tonight at 10pm Eastern by Gretta Van Sustern (sp?) about what he's dealing with and why he wants to be released.

    They played a snippet of Gretta being interviewed on a Milwaukee station. She said, "Brett is concerned the Packers will deal him to a team that may not have a good chance of winning or one that won't get him much playing time or one that is less likely to face the Packers, among other things."

    Selfish and immature are two words that can be added to the Favre legacy.

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,463

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Guys - Way too much venom here for Favre, after all how do any of us know any of the internal dynamics between him & the FO? For all we know they hate each other's guts. Favre has been upset for a long time over the FO's inability to bring in major talent at RB & WR, & he was less than enthused over the hiring of the past few coaches - starting with Ray Rhodes (forgettable), then Mike Sherman (average at best) & now McCarthy. But despite this, he didn't give up like Barry Sanders or Ricky Williams, & he didn't lie down & take it like Dan Marino in his last years. Brett loves to play & he loves to play for the Packer fans, but I think the FO has taken that from him & that's why this has played out the way it has over the past few off-seasons.

    Brett came within one game of the Super Bowl with a team that over-achieved & he's clearly not washed up - so what's wrong with letting him play? This isn't Namath & the Jets or Unitas & the Colts, but a guy who put up over 4100 yards & a QB rating of almost 96. So tell me, what has Favre done to lose the starting spot - or better yet, what has Rodgers done to deserve the starting spot over Favre?...Nothing. What has Thompson accomplished without Favre?...Nothing. I know the FO has an obligation to the team & the future, but Favre has given everything he had to the Packers, he deserves better than this.

    I know the back & forth gets a little tiring, but it's Brett's career & while it'll be sad to see him in another uniform, I hope Favre plays for someone else & beats the crap out of the Packers every time. For both Brett (his career) & the Packers (winning & national attention) the theme should be that - you don't know what you've got till it's gone...

    BTW Steelers D...Low blow on the insinuation of the dynamics of Brett & Deanna's relationship...Keep it on the field.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

  8. #38
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    It's not insinuation my friend...I live here. This is a very small town.

  9. #39
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    20,365

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Favre has been upset for a long time over the FO's inability to bring in major talent at RB & WR, & he was less than enthused over the hiring of the past few coaches - starting with Ray Rhodes (forgettable), then Mike Sherman (average at best) & now McCarthy.
    Rhodes and Sherman may not have been inspired hires, but McCarthy has a 21-11 record as a head coach there (best start in franchise history...Vince Lombardi and Curly Lambeau included). McCarthy also coached the team to overtime in the NFC Championship game in his 2nd year as head coach (gotta love those Pittsburgh roots).

    They got him a legit RB weapon in Ryan Grant (nearly rushed for 1000 yards in spite of having a grand total of 6 carries in the first 6 weeks of the season), and he has a wealth of riches at WR (Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, James Jones, Jordy Nelson). They also have built a solid defense as well. What more could he possibly want?


    1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

  10. #40
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Delray Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,463

    Re: Packers GM, coach say no to Favre’s release

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    It's not insinuation my friend...I live here. This is a very small town.
    That may or may not be...but either way, it has no place in this discussion. Let's keep it "between the lines"...everything else is fair game.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •