Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs, and we all assumed that Gary Russell would be that 4th guy (I thought that prior to Davenport's release, and the dumping of Dookie only cemented that further in my mind). I've always liked Kevin Jones, and thought he would be a good pickup if we hadn't drafted Mendenhall, but I think we are fine with Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis right now, personally.

[url]http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/[/url]

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Running back Kevin Jones was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a visit with the Steelers. The Steelers have been keeping tabs on Jones for the past four weeks and profootballtalk is reporting the Steelers attended one of his private workouts last month. The Steelers are not sure that Willie Parker is 100% but the main reason behind looking at Jones is Mike Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs. Parker #1 back, Moore 3rd down back, Mendenhall short yardage back, Jones? If Jones does sign with Pittsburgh he will be in the same boat that Kevin Barlow was last summer. He must prove himself in training camp.

Posted by DePaoli Editor-in-Chief of TIOPS at 6:09 PM