Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in running back Kevin Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers interested in running back Kevin Jones

Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs, and we all assumed that Gary Russell would be that 4th guy (I thought that prior to Davenport's release, and the dumping of Dookie only cemented that further in my mind). I've always liked Kevin Jones, and thought he would be a good pickup if we hadn't drafted Mendenhall, but I think we are fine with Parker, Mendenhall, Moore, Russell, and Davis right now, personally.

[url]http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com/[/url]

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Running back Kevin Jones was in Pittsburgh yesterday for a visit with the Steelers. The Steelers have been keeping tabs on Jones for the past four weeks and profootballtalk is reporting the Steelers attended one of his private workouts last month. The Steelers are not sure that Willie Parker is 100% but the main reason behind looking at Jones is Mike Tomlin wants to carry four capable running backs. Parker #1 back, Moore 3rd down back, Mendenhall short yardage back, Jones? If Jones does sign with Pittsburgh he will be in the same boat that Kevin Barlow was last summer. He must prove himself in training camp.

Posted by DePaoli Editor-in-Chief of TIOPS at 6:09 PM
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers interested in running back Kevin Jones

I know SMG doesn't like it when I post this, but I don't think they're seeing what they want to see in Russell. Despite the fluff piece that was out about him awhile ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Cuz it's just not true. The Steelers will bring in a back to compete and push the young RBs. If Russell can't beat out Jones he doesn't deserve to be here. I'm certainly not reading too much into this.
    Trolls are people too.

BigBen2112

If the OL holds up and is even DECENT our offense might be just plain SICK...defense is my worry now. And I think another reason they'd possibly pursue Jones is b/c 1. Mendenhall is an unknown commodity right now, 2. Moore is not a #1 runningback and is basically only a #3/3rd down back and return man, 3. We dont know what we REALLY have in Russell either. Now why do I mention those points? Well, let's be honest when Parker went down last year everyone who thought Najeh could do the job was proved desperately wrong. If we had Mendenhall+Moore+Jones (healthy by the middle/end of the season) and Parker went down we'd have a much more capable backfield. I think they are scared of that and that'd be a reason to go after Jones. He's more of a proven commodity when healthy...and it'd most likely be a 1 year deal anyways. Its a good strategy when you notice how badly you tank as a running team when your #1 went down last year. I think they have to make sure they 100% that if the situation occurred again they'd not be put into the same predicament.

Now, the problem is what are they going to do to address what I think is our biggest and most pressing problems--the defense. I am not convinced that our secondary, defensive line, or linebackers are as deep and proficient as we need them to be. If Smith goes down our whole defense collapses again. And unlike most of the guys here I dont have much confidence at all in Bruce Davis. I think we are weak after the starters at OLB, especially since I think Timmons moves inside, and I think that ILB might be the strongest position but I am not even sure they are as great as we want them to be. Hampton took a step back last year and I have no faith in Keisel to really be a dominant DE for us. I think in next years draft it needs to be D, D, D, D, and D--maybe with an OL thrown in there. I know I will get BASHED for this view, but lets be honest when Smith went down last year our defense went from top notch, but untested....to mediocre at best.

Pray for our OL to be good and pray that we dont get any defensive injuries and I think we'll have a legit shot at showing people a dominant Steeler team and the best QB in the AFC will rise up and take us deep into the playoffs...................but those two prayers need answered first.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben...healthy our D is going to be sick...and I mean sick....lol.

Seriously, the addition of Timmons and Woodley will bring a better pass rush which will really help our secondary. If our D stays healthy it will be top 3 in the NFL.

The true question mark is certainly our Oline. If our Oline can just play as an average line...and we stay healthy...the Steelers will be making a serious run at another SB.
    Trolls are people too.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Ben...healthy our D is going to be sick...and I mean sick....lol.

Seriously, the addition of Timmons and Woodley will bring a better pass rush which will really help our secondary. If our D stays healthy it will be top 3 in the NFL.

The true question mark is certainly our Oline. If our Oline can just play as an average line...and we stay healthy...the Steelers will be making a serious run at another SB.
    I dont disagree...but I think if you get one big injury on that D...like Smith we're screwed big time again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben, I agree with a lot of what you say about the RB situation...but I still believe Russell is more the reason why they're interested in KJ.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Ben, I agree with a lot of what you say about the RB situation...but I still believe Russell is more the reason why they're interested in KJ.
    Are you saying that just to irritate me?

I actually agree...but I don't believe its to replace Russell...I believe it's to push him.
    Trolls are people too.

BigBen2112

I actually agree...but I don't believe its to replace Russell...I believe it's to push him.
    And what's the harm? Jones if he's healthy is great and right now he has zero bargaining power...sign him and get him healthy and see what happens.

Legend

User Info Menu

No, not trying to irritate. Just sharing my opinion...and yours could be right too. It could be as a push. Either way I suspect the interest in KJ relates directly to Russell.