Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Per PFT: PLAX SAYS RUMORS AFFECTED KORDELL’S PLAY

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Per PFT: PLAX SAYS RUMORS AFFECTED KORDELL’S PLAY

In a recent interview with our pal Tim Benz of 105.9 The X in Pittsburgh, Giants receiver Plaxico Burress spoke about the rumors that dogged quarterback Kordell Stewart during their mutual time in Pittsburgh.

“It had to be tough on him personally,” Burress told Benz. “I didn’t call him gay or anything like that. . . . I think that’s one of the reasons why he really couldn’t become the player that he wanted to be. . . . It has to play on you mentally a little bit.”

Burress elaborated on the topic in his new book, Giant: The Road To The Super Bowl, which he wrote with Jason Cole.

“People were talking about [Kordell] being gay,” Burress writes in Chapter 5. “The players heard that, but we never talked about it. I don’t know if Kordell is gay or not. It was none of our business. If ever we would have talked about it, it would have made everybody uncomfortable. If some player was gay, I don’t think he could come out while he was still playing. It would be real hard. It would mess a team up mentally and it wouldn’t be good for that person.”

Burress also said that the rumors caused Stewart to withdraw from teammates. “He had to watch the people that he hung around with. Just hanging out with your friends, or your boys and your cousins, all those things come to the surface. I think he just insulated himself after a while.”

As to Stewart’s performance on the field, Burress confirms what many league observers have long believed. “He wasn’t a real NFL quarterback, a drop-back quarterback,” Burress says. “They gave him time to develop as a classic drop-back passer, but it just never happened. He couldn’t, that wasn’t his game.”

Interesting since there has been some recent banter concerning both players on this board.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Per PFT: PLAX SAYS RUMORS AFFECTED KORDELL’S PLAY

That is not is not hard to believe IMO. This city owes the man an apology. His career in Pittsburgh was totally mishandled. Through all of the attacks he endured he has shown remarkable composure off the field in regard to the Steelers to this day. Just my
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

However, Jeff Garcia (with his Playmate wife) is still totally gay.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Benz would do his best work if he was on one of those Entertainment news programs where they chase celebrities around and tell gossip stories. That's his game.

We didn't learn anything here. It was a terrible rumor. We know the players heard the rumors. We know Kordell is a human being so it had to bother him. Nothing new hear except plaxico wrote a book..

Legend

User Info Menu

Now we know the true identity of QB.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Nice try SMG.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    Nice try SMG.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

QB...Queerbait

QB...Quarterback

Hmmm...

Were these rumors started by someone with a cat avatar and drooling smileys?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    QB...Queerbait

QB...Quarterback

Hmmm...

Were these rumors started by someone with a cat avatar and drooling smileys?
    I think you may be onto something.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    However, Jeff Garcia (with his Playmate wife) is still totally gay.
    Yeah, the first think I thought about was Garcia. The guy's sexuality has been questioned his entire career. How many of you purchased a "Browns Suck - Garcia Swallows" T-Shirt?? And yet, he's been pretty successful at every stop he has made in the NFL. Not to mention the playmate wife

Kordell had all the talent in the world. What he didn't have was the nerve to handle high pressure situations. Why can't we all just accept that and move on?