Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking a by position look at this coming season--Offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Taking a by position look at this coming season--Offense

It's all about playing together as a team, but I can't help but be somewhat optimistic about the upcoming season. There is lots of gloom and doom about the tough schedule, but just maybe we are the ones those "tough" teams need to worry about because we may have the beginnings of one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

QB-same, but probably better. It just seems like Ben found his stride as an NFL QB last seson. I can't see him taking a step back wards. Batch is a solid back up. Dixon won't be 100% but ypou have to like the potential

RB-improved significantly. FWP back, but won't have to be a one trick pony. Keeping him fresh will only maximize his best asset speed. Mendenhall will be the first legit #2 back we have had in several years and he is close to having a second #1. He will be solid with only inexperience holding him back from being the #1 guy. Moore may be the best 3rd down back we have ever had. Russell could become another UDFA steal and will give us a real three headed monster backfield with FWP and RM. This may be the best backfield in the NFL

WR-Getting Sweed looks like a steal. Holmes looks like he is ready to step up as one of the best WR in the league. Ward is a solid position receiver who on willpower alone can be a force on offense. The only thing you get nervous about is who will be your #4. Injuries to Ward and/or Holmes would definitely hurt particularly Holmes.

TE-IMO Miller and Spaeth are as good a TE tandem as in the league. Many teams have one TE who catches and one who blocks. We have two who can do both. If we get them more involved in the offense I think they are both difference makers because they both have size, speed and pass catching ability. Tough for either a LB or Safety to cover.

OL-Saved this for last because this is the area that most gloomers and doomers worry about. I think this area gets better. Let's consider the following. FWP was at the top of the league in rushing when he got hurt. Someone was blocking for him. There is a lot of emphasis on the sacks allowed, but easily 20-25% of those sack were on the QB trying to extend plays and could be easily rectified by Ben getting rid of the ball either to TEs and RBs or just throwing it away. Yes we lost Faneca, but does anyone really think the Faneca of 2007 was the same as the Faneca of 2000-2005? Hartwig will solidify the center position. Starks I think will regain the RT position. Smith seems healthy. If our OL stays healthy I expect a improvement in this area. I expect them to be at least the same which resulted in our QB having the best season of his career and our RB a league leading rusher.

Coaching-Improved. A staff filled with coaches working with the team and players for the first season. There was a learning curve and I think we see benefits this year. The biggest thing I want to see here is the inclusion of quick, short passing plays to take the heat out of the opponents pass rush. We saw how good Ben can be doing this early in the J-ville playoff game. If he and Arians embrace this then I think they will put up huge numbers.

Summarizing, I think this offense will be better than last season. More weapons and more experience. I think it is our opponents who need to worry not the Steelers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Taking a by position look at this coming season--Offense

Very nice analysis of the offensive roster homey. If that line comes together and our quarterback can stay healthy I think we will have the most balanced and effective offense in the league. Since our defense finished number one in the league last year (at least statistically) and promises to be better with a healthy Polamalu & Smith as well as the insertion of Woodley & Timmons, we should have as good of a chance as anyone to take home the Lombardi.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    WR- The only thing you get nervous about is who will be your #4.
    Are you really all that nervous about having Nate Washington as your #4 WR?

His 450 yards last year was 70th among NFL WR's. Since all 32 teams start 2 WR's each (64 starting WR's in the league), that means he had the 6th most yards among #3 WR's. And you are concerned that he might not be able to handle #4 WR duties?

His 5 TD's were tied for 29th most among NFL WR's. That's the same number of receiving TD's that the #1 WR got for the Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, Bears, and Niners, and is more TD's than the #1 WR got for the Dolphins, Titans, Chargers, Redskins, and Vikings. That's 10 out of 32 teams in which he would have had the most TD catches among WR's.

I'm not nervous about who will man our #4 WR spot at all. Considering he'll be facing other team's dime backs in multi-WR sets, he should do just fine.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

His 450 yards last year was 70th among NFL WR's. Since all 32 teams start 2 WR's each (64 starting WR's in the league), that means he had the 6th most yards among #3 WR's. And you are concerned that he might not be able to handle #4 WR duties?

His 5 TD's were tied for 29th most among NFL WR's. That's the same number of receiving TD's that the #1 WR got for the Bills, Ravens, Chiefs, Bears, and Niners, and is more TD's than the #1 WR got for the Dolphins, Titans, Chargers, Redskins, and Vikings. That's 10 out of 32 teams in which he would have had the most TD catches among WR's.

I'm not nervous about who will man our #4 WR spot at all. Considering he'll be facing other team's dime backs in multi-WR sets, he should do just fine.
    I getr nervous that there will be an injury and he will become the vastly more important #3 receiver.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I getr nervous that there will be an injury and he will become the vastly more important #3 receiver.
    He was the #3 WR last year and put up 450 yards and 5 TD, easily outdistancing Ced Wilson's 207 yards and 1 TD. The 3-4 combination of Sweed and Washington this year should outperform Wilson and Washington last year. No worries there. And I imagine that Dallas Baker as the #5 WR this year should be able to improve upon Willie Reid's 4 catches for 54 yards as the #5 WR last year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OV, you are en fuego today! Keep up the good work.

The OL is the biggest concern for me. But, I would say that one of the most important factors in the development of a successful OL is continuity and cohesion. One factor in continuity is personnel turnover. Aside from losing Faneca, the Steelers lost no one else from the OL. Adding Hartwig in FA and Hills in the Draft should improve the continuity and the fact that the unit has had the off-season to develop cohesion with out losing much and not having to get a bunch of new guys up to speed should improve the OL unit cohesion with no question.

Therefore, the OL still has a ? behind it but not as large a ? as before. I would expect to see an improved OL this year. The key indicator in that will be if Starks regains a starting spot on the line. If he gets his head out of his @$$ and finally plays to his ability, the Steelers should have no problem fielding a perfectly functional OL, assuming no or very few injury concerns.

Otherwise, I see improvement and depth at all of the remaining offensive areas.

I believe that the Steelers have the deepest corps of RBs in the league, a premier QB, a respect-worthy WR unit and perhaps the best TE duo in the NFL.

The last big question will be how Arians juggles all the talent he has and how varied and diverse will his attack be.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Backup

User Info Menu

It's all about playing together as a team, but I can't help but be somewhat optimistic about the upcoming season. There is lots of gloom and doom about the tough schedule, but just maybe we are the ones those "tough" teams need to worry about because we may have the beginnings of one of the most explosive offenses in the league.

QB-same, but probably better. It just seems like Ben found his stride as an NFL QB last seson. I can't see him taking a step back wards. Batch is a solid back up. Dixon won't be 100% but ypou have to like the potential

RB-improved significantly. FWP back, but won't have to be a one trick pony. Keeping him fresh will only maximize his best asset speed. Mendenhall will be the first legit #2 back we have had in several years and he is close to having a second #1. He will be solid with only inexperience holding him back from being the #1 guy. Moore may be the best 3rd down back we have ever had. Russell could become another UDFA steal and will give us a real three headed monster backfield with FWP and RM. This may be the best backfield in the NFL

WR-Getting Sweed looks like a steal. Holmes looks like he is ready to step up as one of the best WR in the league. Ward is a solid position receiver who on willpower alone can be a force on offense. The only thing you get nervous about is who will be your #4. Injuries to Ward and/or Holmes would definitely hurt particularly Holmes.

TE-IMO Miller and Spaeth are as good a TE tandem as in the league. Many teams have one TE who catches and one who blocks. We have two who can do both. If we get them more involved in the offense I think they are both difference makers because they both have size, speed and pass catching ability. Tough for either a LB or Safety to cover.

OL-Saved this for last because this is the area that most gloomers and doomers worry about. I think this area gets better. Let's consider the following. FWP was at the top of the league in rushing when he got hurt. Someone was blocking for him. There is a lot of emphasis on the sacks allowed, but easily 20-25% of those sack were on the QB trying to extend plays and could be easily rectified by Ben getting rid of the ball either to TEs and RBs or just throwing it away. Yes we lost Faneca, but does anyone really think the Faneca of 2007 was the same as the Faneca of 2000-2005? Hartwig will solidify the center position. Starks I think will regain the RT position. Smith seems healthy. If our OL stays healthy I expect a improvement in this area. I expect them to be at least the same which resulted in our QB having the best season of his career and our RB a league leading rusher.

Coaching-Improved. A staff filled with coaches working with the team and players for the first season. There was a learning curve and I think we see benefits this year. The biggest thing I want to see here is the inclusion of quick, short passing plays to take the heat out of the opponents pass rush. We saw how good Ben can be doing this early in the J-ville playoff game. If he and Arians embrace this then I think they will put up huge numbers.

Summarizing, I think this offense will be better than last season. More weapons and more experience. I think it is our opponents who need to worry not the Steelers.

Very good break down.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    The last big question will be how Arians juggles all the talent he has and how varied and diverse will his attack be.
    While I am somewhat concerned about the line, this is the only thing that really worries me. Arians sucks.

Backup

User Info Menu

There is a lot of emphasis on the sacks allowed, but easily 20-25% of those sack were on the QB trying to extend plays and could be easily rectified by Ben getting rid of the ball either to TEs and RBs or just throwing it away. Yes we lost Faneca, but does anyone really think the Faneca of 2007 was the same as the Faneca of 2000-2005? Hartwig will solidify the center position. Starks I think will regain the RT position. Smith seems healthy. If our OL stays healthy I expect a improvement in this area. I expect them to be at least the same which resulted in our QB having the best season of his career and our RB a league leading rusher.

The above post is where you allow "fandom" to be your undoing

1) Losing Faneca (all pro , who had to put up with Mahan next to him) and inserting a guy who has never played is a big deal.

2) Kendall Simmons had 7 blown blocks that led to sacks. He had as many blown blocks as the entire Browns offensive line had all season.

3) Hartwig has been given his unconditional release by 2 teams.

4) Roethlisberger had the most "hurries" in the NFL last year of any QB. (yes they keep a stat for "hurries." He had the best passer rating while being hurried. Anther words thanks to Ben, we won more games then we should have. If 20% of the sacks were on Ben to get rid of the ball sooner, what about the 20% of the sacks where he literally had no chance to get a throw off , but yet still broke a tackle and escaped pressure? And getting rid of the ball earlier doesn't necessarily solve your problem. It might mean you just end up with more incompletions and you end up punting the ball more often. A lot more often.

5) The defensive line has Zero depth. We saw what happens when AAron Smith leaves the lineup. Colbert didn't do anything to address this.

6) Special Teamshas been a disaster for three years. It has nothing to do wih scheme or practicing harder. It's all about the over all lack of depth. The poor drafts from the 3rd round on over the past 3-4 years has caught up to the steelers. Tomlin will take the blame. But Colbert should.

7) Schedule, The easy schedule last year allowed the Steelers to make the playoffs. That and unbelivable third down passing from the QB. But you have to face the facts. This schedule is brutal and the Steelers had the biggest drop statistically in the 2nd half of the season last year then any team had in last 10 years. They now get one of the hardest Schedules ever, coming off that Fall.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    There is a lot of emphasis on the sacks allowed, but easily 20-25% of those sack were on the QB trying to extend plays and could be easily rectified by Ben getting rid of the ball either to TEs and RBs or just throwing it away. Yes we lost Faneca, but does anyone really think the Faneca of 2007 was the same as the Faneca of 2000-2005? Hartwig will solidify the center position. Starks I think will regain the RT position. Smith seems healthy. If our OL stays healthy I expect a improvement in this area. I expect them to be at least the same which resulted in our QB having the best season of his career and our RB a league leading rusher.

The above post is where you allow "fandom" to be your undoing

1) Losing Faneca (all pro , who had to put up with Mahan next to him) and inserting a guy who has never played is a big deal.

2) Kendall Simmons had 7 blown blocks that led to sacks. He had as many blown blocks as the entire Browns offensive line had all season.

3) Hartwig has been given his unconditional release by 2 teams.

4) Roethlisberger had the most "hurries" in the NFL last year of any QB. (yes they keep a stat for "hurries." He had the best passer rating while being hurried. Anther words thanks to Ben, we won more games then we should have. If 20% of the sacks were on Ben to get rid of the ball sooner, what about the 20% of the sacks where he literally had no chance to get a throw off , but yet still broke a tackle and escaped pressure? And getting rid of the ball earlier doesn't necessarily solve your problem. It might mean you just end up with more incompletions and you end up punting the ball more often. A lot more often.

5) The defensive line has Zero depth. We saw what happens when AAron Smith leaves the lineup. Colbert didn't do anything to address this.

6) Special Teamshas been a disaster for three years. It has nothing to do wih scheme or practicing harder. It's all about the over all lack of depth. The poor drafts from the 3rd round on over the past 3-4 years has caught up to the steelers. Tomlin will take the blame. But Colbert should.

7) Schedule, The easy schedule last year allowed the Steelers to make the playoffs. That and unbelivable third down passing from the QB. But you have to face the facts. This schedule is brutal and the Steelers had the biggest drop statistically in the 2nd half of the season last year then any team had in last 10 years. They now get one of the hardest Schedules ever, coming off that Fall.
    you make some more realistic points, but i think our draft the last two years will produce some real solid players on special teams. humpal, davis, mundy from this season alone will be contributors, and the true depth of our WR corps will show on special teams as well.

on the O-line, i really think this needs to be a wait and see deal. we have some 05 and 06 draft picks that just might surprise us, and while faneca was def. compensating for worthless in the middle, he still wasn't the best pass-blocker to ever play for the black and gold. faneca was a pulling and destroying beast, and he complimented the bettis era like no other, but those days are over and we don't have his inflated contract anymore.

schedule on paper sucks, no doubt.

D-line depth is def. issue, but i think we can plug in some more 4-3 than normal and use guys like davis on the outside. we also might have polished up mcbean to serviceable by now, who knows.

bottom line is the staff has the first year jitters over and done with, and has loaded the offense with talent. i think we can win 11 games and make a serious push in the playoffs.