Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Druckenmiller gains control of the Steelers......

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: If Druckenmiller gains control of the Steelers......

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    I was personally happy when Cowher left...it was time. He had lost the fire. I would have to assume the possible new owner seen the same thing.

I agree SMG. If this deal takes place, I wouldn't expect any changes that would be outside of the "Rooney way". Based on this excerpt from the Post-Gazette, he would allow the Rooney family to continue in their current role (granted, the source of the information is a friend of Druckenmiller):

Mr. Druckenmiller declined comment yesterday. However, his friend told the Post-Gazette that it has been Mr. Druckenmiller's "lifelong dream" to own the Steelers and that he has no intention of relocating the team or disrupting the management of the franchise. According to the friend, Mr. Druckenmiller said that Dan Rooney can run the team "as long as he wants."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Why do you think they possibly will finish below .500?

Take a look at last year. We beat teams like the Bills, Browns, 49ers, Bengals, Ravens, Seachickens, Rams, Dolphins and lost to the better teams (if you call the Jets and Cardinals better teams ). On the surface we play some pretty good teams this year and the cake walk from last year is over.
    Yes, but if you look at some of the teams you listed above, some are expected to make the playoffs this year, like the Bills. Here is the deal, no football game is a gimme and no schedule can be decided before the games and the season ends. Looking at the schedule though, I dont see it being as tough as some think. Who knows when who will have an off year?
    That is true but most of the teams we play are competitive year in and year out and I don't expect much fall off from those teams this year. I guess we take a wait and see approach.
    True, hopefully it will work in our favor.

I have my reservations on certain teams on our schedule though. I dont think the Giants are all that, yeah, they won the SB, but just dont see them starting any kind of domination. Nor do I see it with Houston, Philly, Washington, or TN.
    exactly right. the giants will be lucky to be .500 next season. every year that they finish the season really well, the next season they stink. they were only an average team to begain with and the only reason they got to and won the sb is because their defensive pressure protected the biggest weakness on their team which was the secondary. those other teams you list wont be that great either, except for houston.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Yes , its true Las Vegas guy. In fact you can read it from Rooney's mouth in his
    own words. Colbers and Cowher and the scouts had all settled on a Left Tackle from Arkansas, and Rooney said he went in their and told them to take Ben becuase he said he would never pass up a bigtime QB again like he did with Marino. He said it was his biggest Blunder in all of his years with Personel.
    Taking Shawn Andrews when Roethlisberger miraculously fell into their laps would be have been big blunder #2. That is exhibit A for why you take the best player available rather than reaching for a perceived need.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Rooney also said in that book that they thought they had no chance at Ben that's why they were looking at Andrews. they thought all three qb's would be gone, he then went on to say, after Ben started falling that they had to consider talking about him and that it was almost unanimous that if Ben fell that they would take him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    Rooney also said in that book that they thought they had no chance at Ben that's why they were looking at Andrews. they thought all three qb's would be gone, he then went on to say, after Ben started falling that they had to consider talking about him and that it was almost unanimous that if Ben fell that they would take him.
    Pretty much like Mendenhall this year. Nobody expected him to fall past, say #15, but when he did, spontaneous applause erupted in the war room, because they were able to get a guy that they figured they had no realistic shot at getting.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Pretty much like Mendenhall this year. Nobody expected him to fall past, say #15, but when he did, spontaneous applause erupted in the war room, because they were able to get a guy that they figured they had no realistic shot at getting.

I think the same situation presented itself in round 2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

Yup yup. My wife thought I was nuts when she came home and I was chanting "Sweed...Sweed!...SWEED!!!" at the TV when we were on the clock in round 2. She wasn't home for my earlier "MEN-DEN-HALL" chant one round earlier.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yup yup. My wife thought I was nuts when she came home and I was chanting "Sweed...Sweed!...SWEED!!!" at the TV when we were on the clock in round 2. She wasn't home for my earlier "MEN-DEN-HALL" chant one round earlier.

Nice. My wife has no clue what the words Mendenhall & Sweed mean. Maybe she will some day. She doesn't know who Hines Ward is until I say the Steeler that smiles all the time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, every time I hear Mendenhall's name (especially if chanted like that) it makes me think of this guy: [url=http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4587708005578224523&q=seinfeld+man delbaum&ei=VLl2SP20G5LQ4gK5nu2RCw&hl=en]It's go time![/url]

I couldn't find a short enough video of them chanting his name...but it exists!

BIG FAN

Nice. My wife has no clue what the words Mendenhall & Sweed mean. Maybe she will some day. She doesn't know who Hines Ward is until I say the Steeler that smiles all the time.
    My wife asked if they could protect Ben.
    She has warmed to the picks since then. But I know as I live and breath, the first time he gets clobbered by about four guys she will give me the classic I told you so.