Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Possible new owner?

  1. #21
    BigBen2112
    Guest

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Who gets custody of Steely?
    Hopefully Mr. and Mrs. dumpster get custody.

    And, for whatever reason, I never really trusted any of the Rooneys outside of Dan and Art Sr. When I stood out in line for 2 days for tickets to the 94 AFC playoffs, it was Dan who came around and shook hands with all the fans. I trust Dan Rooney, I trusted Art Sr. I don't trust the rest of them, and I feel uneasy that anyone outside of Dan runs the team. Maybe whatever happens will turn out for the best with Mr. Druckenmiller, But I just feel uneasy about it. The SAteelers stand for many things other than just super bowl trophies. I don't want this to turn into a Daniel Snyder situation.

    Yeah, but Dan is 75 years old (76 July 20). How much longer can he run the team? So its either one of the other Rooneys or a billionaire that is a rabid Steelers fan who has stated he will not move the team?
    Umm...the owners of the Sonics told the previous owners and the city when they bought the team, even told the NBA, that they would not move the team....the Sonics now have begun their pre-season play in Oklahoma City.
    Um, the SuperSonics were purchased by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, where they eventually ended up. Mr. Bennett was not a die hard Seattle fan nor had ties to the area the way Druckenmiller does.
    But has it been reported or not that Bennett told Seattle and the NBA he would not move the team?

    And he still did. I was just pointing that out.

  2. #22
    LasVegasGuy
    Guest

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Maybe now we can build an 80,000 to 100,000 seat stadium and I can finally get some season tickets. Oh yea! We can also get rid of that stinkin' so called grass they play on and hire a real head coach not a work in progress.

    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080709/fbn_stee ... rship.html

  3. #23
    Buh-Bye
    Guest

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    But has it been reported or not that Bennett told Seattle and the NBA he would not move the team?

    And he still did. I was just pointing that out.
    Yeah, I understand. But again, this guy had no ties and ultimately wanted the team back in Oklahoma. He probably knew right off that Seattle wouldnt build a new arena, which was a perfect scenario to carry that plan out. At least Druckenmiller has ties to the area and flies in for home games and is described by friends as a rabid Steelers fan. Whole lot better than some billionaire from Vegas, LA or wherever buying the team that has no ties at all. That would definitely concern me.


    FYI.....


    In 2006, the Sonics were sold to an investment group led by Clayton Bennett, who said the team would stay in Seattle if a new arena complex was built. Yet, in August 2007, Sonics co-owner Aubrey McClendon announced publicly to The Journal Record that, "we didn't buy the team to keep it in Seattle; we hoped to come here." [6] After receiving a private warning from NBA commissioner David Stern, Bennett responded, assuring Stern that, "As absolutely remarkable as it may seem, Aubrey and I have NEVER discussed moving the Sonics to Oklahoma City, nor have I discussed it with ANY other member of our ownership group."[7] After several attempts to try and get Washington state and local governments to fund a $500 million dollar arena complex in Renton, Washington, Bennett requested arbitration with the City of Seattle to be released from their lease on KeyArena[8] and notified the NBA that he wanted to relocate the team to Oklahoma City.[9] When the arbitration request was rejected by a judge, the City of Seattle sued Bennett's ownership group to force them to stay until the end of the lease.[10]

    During the discovery portion of the city's lawsuit, several emails between the members of the ownership group were found that seemed to indicate they purchased the team with the intention of moving it to Oklahoma City and had never intended on keeping the team in Seattle. The city's attorney's used these emails and the comments by McClendon to argue that the team did not negotiate in good faith with the City. Bennett's attorney's filed a motion accusing the city of duplicity by suing the team to make "the Oklahomans' bleed cash in a hostile media environment" and force them to sell to a local ownership group led by Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer.[11]

    The move for the 2008-2009 season was given approval by the NBA Board of Governors pending the outcome of litigation over the lease and ownership of the team. A court session began on June 16 to determine if the Sonics can move to Oklahoma City for the 2008-2009 NBA season or if they must honor their lease with KeyArena and remain in Seattle until 2010.[12][13] On July 2, just hours before the judge was to release her ruling, it was announced that the team and city had reached a settlement, allowing the team to move to Oklahoma City.[14] In exchange for $45 million immediately, the possibility of an additional $30 million in 2013 if a new team has not been found for the city, and leaving behind the team's name and history, the city agreed to release PBC from the KeyArena lease.[15]

    Following the revelation of the emails between the current ownership group, former owner, Howard Schultz, filed a lawsuit to have the court take control of the team citing fraud and misrepresentation in buying the team and for breach of contract after the purchase.[16] Schultz's lawsuit was not included in the settlement between the city and PBC.

  4. #24
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,377

    Re: Possible new owner?

    No problem...just thought you might know something that I didn't. The 16-16-16-16-16-20 split seemed a bit too neat and clean.

    It is interesting that all 5 brothers are still alive, considering that they should all be in their 70's by now.

    This would probably be much more of a difficult transition if one or more of them had died and dealings would have to be made with several of the Chief's numerous grandchildren as well as the brothers.

  5. #25
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!
    Posts
    1,624

    Re: Possible new owner?

    One thing to keep in mind about the Steelers leaving Pittsburgh is that it'll never happen...and here's why:

    As the league operates somewhat collectively in terms of merchandising, the financial fallout of a Steelers team that isn't in Pittsburgh would potentially destroy the "Steelers brand" to the point that the rest of the merchandising revenue for the league would suffer. The other NFL owners, who have a huge stake in how their teams are merchandised and marketed, would never allow that to happen. It would be a direct assault on their profitability.

    Consider, for example, how much the Cleveland Cavaliers would be devalued if LeBron James was not a part of that franchise. Prior to the Cavaliers winning the draft lottery that allowed them to draft LeBron, the team's future in Cleveland hung in the balance. I would submit to you all that if it wasn't for LeBron James, there might not be a Cleveland Cavaliers today.

    Much like LeBron means the world to the Cavaliers, the Steelers being in Pittsburgh means the world to the NFL. The Steelers value to the league will never be higher anywhere else but Pittsburgh and, I'd submit to you all, that the team would be worth less anywhere else but Pittsburgh. The league and its confederation of owners ignore that reality at the expense of future profits to themselves or the league in general.

    The Steelers are a cash cow for the league and Stan Druckenmiller's involvement will heighten that ability for the Steelers and the league. The league plays with any potential future move of the Steelers at the risk of their own future profit margin.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

  6. #26

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Who gets custody of Steely?
    Hopefully Mr. and Mrs. dumpster get custody.

    And, for whatever reason, I never really trusted any of the Rooneys outside of Dan and Art Sr. When I stood out in line for 2 days for tickets to the 94 AFC playoffs, it was Dan who came around and shook hands with all the fans. I trust Dan Rooney, I trusted Art Sr. I don't trust the rest of them, and I feel uneasy that anyone outside of Dan runs the team. Maybe whatever happens will turn out for the best with Mr. Druckenmiller, But I just feel uneasy about it. The SAteelers stand for many things other than just super bowl trophies. I don't want this to turn into a Daniel Snyder situation.

    Yeah, but Dan is 75 years old (76 July 20). How much longer can he run the team? So its either one of the other Rooneys or a billionaire that is a rabid Steelers fan who has stated he will not move the team?

    Just a question...do you think the Rooneys would sell the Steelers to someone who said he would move the team? I personally doubt it. He might very well be a fan but when hundreds of millions are involved...I trust very few people...especially a new owner. If he intended to move the team...he would be saying the same thing.

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,447

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Anytime ownership switches hands...it should concern fans. You don't think he would consider moving the team to a bigger market? I do. The Rooneys are a known commodity...this guy is not. This should be concerning to all of us.


    There are only about three markets without an NFL franchise that are bigger than
    Pittsburgh's market.

    1) Los Angeles - We all know how well football works in L.A.
    2) Orlando - Whose territory is this anyway? Dolphins? Jaguars? Bucs?
    3) Sacramento - Seems like that would be 9r's country.

    With that said, I couldn't fathom anybody moving the Steelers out of Pittsburgh,
    but, there's always the possibility with new ownership. The sky is not falling, but
    nevertheless, I don't like change.

  8. #28
    Buh-Bye
    Guest

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel
    Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Who gets custody of Steely?
    Hopefully Mr. and Mrs. dumpster get custody.

    And, for whatever reason, I never really trusted any of the Rooneys outside of Dan and Art Sr. When I stood out in line for 2 days for tickets to the 94 AFC playoffs, it was Dan who came around and shook hands with all the fans. I trust Dan Rooney, I trusted Art Sr. I don't trust the rest of them, and I feel uneasy that anyone outside of Dan runs the team. Maybe whatever happens will turn out for the best with Mr. Druckenmiller, But I just feel uneasy about it. The SAteelers stand for many things other than just super bowl trophies. I don't want this to turn into a Daniel Snyder situation.

    Yeah, but Dan is 75 years old (76 July 20). How much longer can he run the team? So its either one of the other Rooneys or a billionaire that is a rabid Steelers fan who has stated he will not move the team?

    Just a question...do you think the Rooneys would sell the Steelers to someone who said he would move the team? I personally doubt it. He might very well be a fan but when hundreds of millions are involved...I trust very few people...especially a new owner. If he intended to move the team...he would be saying the same thing.
    As stated above with the Sonics situation, if it were a billionaire owner with no ties to the Burgh, not a fan of the team and from one of the markets that wants a team, yes I would worry. I dont see that with this situation.

    Question: You are from the Burgh, a rabid fan that comes back for home games, has ties in the community and you happen to be a billionaire and you want to buy the Steelers.

    Would you move them?

  9. #29
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,458

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Anytime ownership switches hands...it should concern fans. You don't think he would consider moving the team to a bigger market? I do. The Rooneys are a known commodity...this guy is not. This should be concerning to all of us.


    There are only about three markets without an NFL franchise that are bigger than
    Pittsburgh's market.

    1) Los Angeles - We all know how well football works in L.A.
    2) Orlando - Whose territory is this anyway? Dolphins? Jaguars? Bucs?
    3) Sacramento - Seems like that would be 9r's country.

    With that said, I couldn't fathom anybody moving the Steelers out of Pittsburgh,
    but, there's always the possibility with new ownership. The sky is not falling, but
    nevertheless, I don't like change.
    2) Orlando - Whose territory is this anyway? Dolphins? Jaguars? Bucs?
    The NFL has tried to make Orlando Jaguar country and has failed mserably. Jacksonville isn't even really Jag country. The most predominant NFL colors in the Orlando area are Black and Gold. You see more fans wearing Steelers gear or Steelers logos on cars than any other team.

    Problems with the three cities you mention:

    1. LA is a college football town. The NFL will always be #2 to USC. The Raiders found that out.
    2. Orlando futher splits Florida when support for the Jags and Bucs is already lukewarm. The Jags are clearly the most likely NFL team to move in the future. Fan support is about 6" deep. There were more Steelers fans at their stadium last time the Steelers played there than Jags fans.
    3. Sacremento would be stepping on both 49ers and Raiders. No way that happens.

    Las Vegas? No way. The whole reason we are having this discussion is because of the NFL's needless parnoia over gambling whether sports based or not.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler Jigawatts's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Around The Way, OH
    Posts
    2,447

    Re: Possible new owner?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Anytime ownership switches hands...it should concern fans. You don't think he would consider moving the team to a bigger market? I do. The Rooneys are a known commodity...this guy is not. This should be concerning to all of us.


    There are only about three markets without an NFL franchise that are bigger than
    Pittsburgh's market.

    1) Los Angeles - We all know how well football works in L.A.
    2) Orlando - Whose territory is this anyway? Dolphins? Jaguars? Bucs?
    3) Sacramento - Seems like that would be 9r's country.

    With that said, I couldn't fathom anybody moving the Steelers out of Pittsburgh,
    but, there's always the possibility with new ownership. The sky is not falling, but
    nevertheless, I don't like change.
    2) Orlando - Whose territory is this anyway? Dolphins? Jaguars? Bucs?
    The NFL has tried to make Orlando Jaguar country and has failed mserably. Jacksonville isn't even really Jag country. The most predominant NFL colors in the Orlando area are Black and Gold. You see more fans wearing Steelers gear or Steelers logos on cars than any other team.
    I've been to Orlando quite a few times in the past few years, and believe me, I notice
    this. It's amazing how many cars I see with personalized plates, stickers, flags, etc.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •