Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible new owner?

Buh-Bye

Re: Possible new owner?

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal-Steeler
    Who gets custody of Steely?
    Hopefully Mr. and Mrs. dumpster get custody.

And, for whatever reason, I never really trusted any of the Rooneys outside of Dan and Art Sr. When I stood out in line for 2 days for tickets to the 94 AFC playoffs, it was Dan who came around and shook hands with all the fans. I trust Dan Rooney, I trusted Art Sr. I don't trust the rest of them, and I feel uneasy that anyone outside of Dan runs the team. Maybe whatever happens will turn out for the best with Mr. Druckenmiller, But I just feel uneasy about it. The SAteelers stand for many things other than just super bowl trophies. I don't want this to turn into a Daniel Snyder situation.

Yeah, but Dan is 75 years old (76 July 20). How much longer can he run the team? So its either one of the other Rooneys or a billionaire that is a rabid Steelers fan who has stated he will not move the team?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Anytime ownership switches hands...it should concern fans. You don't think he would consider moving the team to a bigger market? I do. The Rooneys are a known commodity...this guy is not. This should be concerning to all of us.
    it does concern me but not all that much. the steelers will never move. where would a bigger market be? the size of the burgh doesnt matter at all. the steelers will always sell out and make tons of money. if they moved they probably wouldnt have that kind of a following. unless they moved to vermont than id be all for that haha!!
    Got to agree. The Steelers are already a top seller of merchandise. They have anational fan base. Where would they get more with a move? They isn't a bigger market to move this team to bigger than LA and that city has a history of not supporting their team. Pittsburgh has a top notch stadium and a tremendous fan base. At least one of these is what doomed the Browns, Colts and Rams when they moved. No way I see the NFL letting the Steelers ever move.

That said, the Orlando Steelers have a nice ring to it

Just kidding.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Anytime ownership switches hands...it should concern fans. You don't think he would consider moving the team to a bigger market? I do. The Rooneys are a known commodity...this guy is not. This should be concerning to all of us.
    First, the NFL wouldn't allow it. The Cleveland debacle has assured that no healthy franchise will be moved again. Second, I don't think a rabid steelers fan would consider it. So, no, I'm not concerned.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Druckenmiller seems like one of those guys you'd never suspect of being as rich as he is. He reminds me of former Indians owner D!ck Jacobs, with the possible exception of the fact that there is no team to save and no stadium to build. Druckenmiller has a solid investment to make with the Steelers and he has no worries over a stadium.

For me, Druckenmiller's money is a potential breath of fresh air. I believe, however, that the league won't allow a transfer of controlling interest without his acceptance of Dan Rooney as the Managing Partner. Druckenmiller needs Rooney's expertise on league matters as much as Rooney needs Druckenmiller's $$$.

And the league isn't nearly as naive as it once was concerning ownership issues. I think they learned a boat load when Modell extracted the Clowns from Cleveland. I doubt the league would ever allow that to happen again anywhere without a perfectly legitimate reason. Most NFL cities (Pittsburgh most definitely included) have the ownership structure and the facility (stadium) that will keep most NFL franchises in place for a long while.

The Steelers are a model of stability and management and, I believe, the rest of the management teams among the franchises in the league look to the Steelers as an example of how to do it right. I also believe that the league itself shares the same view.

In short, things are likely to change for the Steelers. Healthy organizations in any business need that from time to time or they become static and inflexible. The Steelers addressing this situation now is far preferable to needing to do the same when Dan passes on.

I believe that the Dan and Art II reaching out to an apparently class act like Stanley Druckenmiller is another way of the Rooney legacy looking out for the long term strength of their life-long passion and investment.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

My initial reaction was that STeeler fans should have concern (or joy) along 2 dimensions -- Location and Managment style.

I think I am reasonably comfortable feeling that he won't move the team -- at least not in the short term. He is a fan and I think he wants to keep it in the Burgh. Long term, however, who knows -- he is a business many after all and his kids may not feel the same way.

I don't think he is a Jerry Jones/Dan Snyder type of owner -- but neither is he a football guy. I would imagine that he will change the management style of the team to some degree. Some may rejoice at this others may bemoan it. There could be some positive changes (more aggressive FA signings) but they could be coupled with other things like increased ticket prices, etc.

One thing is for sure -- things are going to change.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by SteelHeel

And, for whatever reason, I never really trusted any of the Rooneys outside of Dan and Art Sr. When I stood out in line for 2 days for tickets to the 94 AFC playoffs, it was Dan who came around and shook hands with all the fans. I trust Dan Rooney, I trusted Art Sr. I don't trust the rest of them, and I feel uneasy that anyone outside of Dan runs the team. Maybe whatever happens will turn out for the best with Mr. Druckenmiller, But I just feel uneasy about it. The SAteelers stand for many things other than just super bowl trophies. I don't want this to turn into a Daniel Snyder situation.

Yeah, but Dan is 75 years old (76 July 20). How much longer can he run the team? So its either one of the other Rooneys or a billionaire that is a rabid Steelers fan who has stated he will not move the team?
    Umm...the owners of the Sonics told the previous owners and the city when they bought the team, even told the NBA, that they would not move the team....the Sonics now have begun their pre-season play in Oklahoma City.

The thing here, though, is that I dont see why anyone would want to move the Steelers. Higher revenues from a bigger market? Unlikely. The Steelers sell more merchandise than most big revenue teams...they also get nationally broadcast in terms of prime-time games just as much and have a waiting-list for season tickets longer than ANY other team in the NFL. There is no benefit to moving the Steelers.

However, it doesn't mean that while he's said he wants the Rooneys in charge that he wont change that opinion. I think Rooneys should sell a MINORITY interest to Drunkenmiller and sell the rest to Art/Dan. Even if its 55/45. If Art/Dan cant afford or cant find a way to buy fully the team then simply by the majority interest and let the rest be sold to Drunkenmiller. Hell Art would really only have to buy 2 more "shares" as 3 times the 16.67 that each owner has in the team would equal out to 50.01. Sell the 49.99 to Drunkenmiller and call it a day.

Buh-Bye

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112

Umm...the owners of the Sonics told the previous owners and the city when they bought the team, even told the NBA, that they would not move the team....the Sonics now have begun their pre-season play in Oklahoma City.
    Um, the SuperSonics were purchased by Oklahoma City businessman Clay Bennett, where they eventually ended up. Mr. Bennett was not a die hard Seattle fan nor had ties to the area the way Druckenmiller does.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

The thing here, though, is that I dont see why anyone would want to move the Steelers. Higher revenues from a bigger market? Unlikely. The Steelers sell more merchandise than most big revenue teams...they also get nationally broadcast in terms of prime-time games just as much and have a waiting-list for season tickets longer than ANY other team in the NFL. There is no benefit to moving the Steelers.

However, it doesn't mean that while he's said he wants the Rooneys in charge that he wont change that opinion. I think Rooneys should sell a MINORITY interest to Drunkenmiller and sell the rest to Art/Dan. Even if its 55/45. If Art/Dan cant afford or cant find a way to buy fully the team then simply by the majority interest and let the rest be sold to Drunkenmiller. Hell Art would really only have to buy 2 more "shares" as 3 times the 16.67 that each owner has in the team would equal out to 50.01. Sell the 49.99 to Drunkenmiller and call it a day.
    Where did you get the 16.67 number from? I thought the 5 Rooney brothers had 16% each, and the McGinley family had the remaining 20%.

Buh-Bye

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Where did you get the 16.67 number from? I thought the 5 Rooney brothers had 16% each, and the McGinley family had the remaining 20%.
    That is the case.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Yeah you're correct...sorry about that.