Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: top ten most hated steelers of all time

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: top ten most hated steelers of all time

I used to cover the NFL and particularly the Bucs for sports radio. It was the game where Kordell broke down on the sidelines in Tampa and afterwards I was interviewing Tomczak in the locker room and asking some tough questions about Ray Sherman's offense. Obviously he was sick of hearing about how it didn't suit the players we had and he started digging into me and the media in general like a real *******. Since I'm not the kind of guy to take abuse from anyone, I fired right back and it got pretty heated to the point where we had to be separated by a Steelers staff member. I never really liked the guy to begin with, but that sealed the deal.

On a side note, I think it deserves mention that I don't necessarily "hate" any of these players as others have alluded...it's more like disappointment or distaste. You've got to be a real slimeball to get any genuine hate from me and no one to ever wear the Black-n-Gold has done anything to merit that.

thats a very interesting story. have you had similar altercations with any other players? im suprised tomzak reacted like that. i would think a player as bad as he was would love any attention he got from the media or fans. thats a good point, hate is a very strong word. i dont hate any of these players mentioned, just a strong dislike except for maybe burress. that guy has always been such a jerk

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    thats a very interesting story. have you had similar altercations with any other players? im suprised tomzak reacted like that. i would think a player as bad as he was would love any attention he got from the media or fans. thats a good point, hate is a very strong word. i dont hate any of these players mentioned, just a strong dislike except for maybe burress. that guy has always been such a jerk
    The only other guy that came close was Warren Sapp. He never talked smack to me, but he constantly abused local reporters and was the most disrespectful player I've ever seen by a long shot. Once I saw how he treated everyone, I refused to ever ask him a question, so there was never an opportunity for such an altercation. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Sapp would have beat my ass, whereas I think I could take Tomczak.

Legend

User Info Menu

the guy hardly played at all and he was a rookie, why was he in the game in the first place?
    Injuries, my man... I know Ernie Mills went down during the game... that year, that team made a living off 4 WR sets because they had so many above average ones... but, i believe they lost 2 and were stuck...

ON a "strategy of the game" note, I've often wondered how Cowher's call for an onside kick was viewed as such a "surprise" call.

You cut the score to 20-10 with 11-and-some-change in the game... you need two scores and you're partway into the 4th quarter. I was saying "onside kick it, onside kick it". Worst case, at that stage in the game, it was AT LEAST work consideration.

That Dallas was surprised should have been a knock on their special teams coach, and NOT anything special for ours.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    the guy hardly played at all and he was a rookie, why was he in the game in the first place?
    Injuries, my man... I know Ernie Mills went down during the game... that year, that team made a living off 4 WR sets because they had so many above average ones... but, i believe they lost 2 and were stuck...

ON a "strategy of the game" note, I've often wondered how Cowher's call for an onside kick was viewed as such a "surprise" call.

You cut the score to 20-10 with 11-and-some-change in the game... you need two scores and you're partway into the 4th quarter. I was saying "onside kick it, onside kick it". Worst case, at that stage in the game, it was AT LEAST work consideration.

That Dallas was surprised should have been a knock on their special teams coach, and NOT anything special for ours.
    Well, you are smart. Barry Switzer, on the other hand...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flasteel
    The only other guy that came close was Warren Sapp. He never talked smack to me, but he constantly abused local reporters and was the most disrespectful player I've ever seen by a long shot. Once I saw how he treated everyone, I refused to ever ask him a question, so there was never an opportunity for such an altercation. Plus, I'm pretty sure that Sapp would have beat my ass, whereas I think I could take Tomczak.
    I was on the field Sapp once (when the Bucs played the Bengals) and the thing that struck me about Sapp is his build... he's just a BIG dude... he wasn't muscular like the other football players... and he looks taller on TV - LOL.

I was also surprised at how stocky Warrick Dunn's legs are to be a "little" guy.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    i totally agree with you SMG, he-who-shall-not-be-named is my most hated...watching him throw those INT's still make me nauseous.

Isn't there still a big controversy about at least one of those INT's being the fault of the WR?
    Yes. Most people who understand football realize the WR didn't break off his route.
    I'm glad there are some reasonable people in here. I agree that it is crazy how the hatred for NOD has grown considering what he did in his short time in Pittsburgh. It's disappointing

Starter

User Info Menu

[youtube:7ki00drw]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfcsZAZYfeE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VfcsZAZYfeE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:7ki00drw]

Starter

User Info Menu

What!!?? No hatred for Aaron Jones?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i forgot that mills was hurt in that game. i do remember nod leaving a lot of wr's out to dry in that game and there were some big time hits as a result. oh yea that year they had by far the best wr corps in the nfl i mean top to bottom

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    i totally agree with you SMG, he-who-shall-not-be-named is my most hated...watching him throw those INT's still make me nauseous.

Isn't there still a big controversy about at least one of those INT's being the fault of the WR?
    Yes. Most people who understand football realize the WR didn't break off his route.
    I'm glad there are some reasonable people in here. I agree that it is crazy how the hatred for NOD has grown considering what he did in his short time in Pittsburgh. It's disappointing
    Yeah, I don't understand the conspiracy theorists that say O'Donnell was trying to throw the game. That's just ridiculous. The plays were certainly unfortunate, whether the WR cut the wrong way or the QB just made a poor decision or whatever. I would argue that Ben's INT in the red zone in SBXL was a worse throw than either of the O'Donnell INT's in SBXXX, but no one has ever claimed that Ben was trying to throw SBXL, because that is just ridiculous too.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.