Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Palmer late in games...

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Re: Palmer late in games...

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by johnstownsteel
    i don't know...i own the guy on a regular basis over there, probably close to 8000 posts. of course i needed somewhere between 5 and 10 screen names to get it done. forget i said anything...

How Lumbee is not banned already I don't know...
    glad to see you're still hangin' out over here jom. not smooch on the buttocks but i gotta say you're probably the best cinci has to offer as far as knowledge and love for their team.

as far as your lumbee comment, i'm still not getting that one myself. as jts i was given a lifetime ban and never got under joe's skin like i do now. and what's even more surprising is that he knows who i am so go figure that one out.

if i were to be honest though, i like joe. i think he does his best to create a great atmoshere over there and it's obvious by it's popularity. many feel i have this grudge against him but that's not nearly the case. it's really all in good fun. i just can't help he opens himself up to some things i just can't let go by.

one more thing jom...if you're ever out my way let me know. i'll get a case of beer and we'll head over to my neighbors to talk ball.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

glad to see you're still hangin' out over here jom. not smooch on the buttocks but i gotta say you're probably the best cinci has to offer as far as knowledge and love for their team.

as far as your lumbee comment, i'm still not getting that one myself. as jts i was given a lifetime ban and never got under joe's skin like i do now. and what's even more surprising is that he knows who i am so go figure that one out.

if i were to be honest though, i like joe. i think he does his best to create a great atmoshere over there and it's obvious by it's popularity. many feel i have this grudge against him but that's not nearly the case. it's really all in good fun. i just can't help he opens himself up to some things i just can't let go by.

one more thing jom...if you're ever out my way let me know. i'll get a case of beer and we'll head over to my neighbors to talk ball.

You're making blush JTS. Thanks for the invite and the compliments.

As for Joe, he is a tough person to read. I've had it out with him plenty of times (When CalSteeler got banned and now when Ike got banned). He's fine to debate with and he does keep that smack forum interesting, I just wish he didn't have any admin powers...

Legend

User Info Menu

Back to the topic at hand...

I heard an interview with Carson Palmer on Sirius NFL Radio a few days ago, live from some golf benefit. They asked him how he did out on the course and he said something to the effect of "I was playing great, but then shanked it a couple of times on the 18th...I don't know how Tiger does it." Just thought that was an appropriate little anecdote for a thread about Palmer's performances late in games...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Bengaltime

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Bengaltime
    Sheesh! Pardon me for asking!
    You're excused,but not for liking that pathetic excuse for a "football" team.

At least they try to win without the aid of steroids!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Alright, I have had discussions with NKy a couple of times already about Palmer and how he does at the end of games. The perception that NKy and MSM have is that Palmer chokes at the end of games and fumbles the football.

The Fact though is that Palmer had a fumbling problem in 2006 but in 2007 where he only lost ONE fumble the whole season. Also in that 2006 season, only ONCE did Carson lost a fumble at the end of the game. Here are some links from the 2006 season which everyone gets on him for not coming through in the clutch to get us to the playoffs:

Bengals vs. Falcons

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=28962&displayPage=tab_drive_cha rt&season=2006&week=REG8&override=true"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechar ... rride=true[/url]

00:19 seconds left on our own 17 yard line. Palmer fumbles, but really with 19 seconds on our own 17 yard line with zero timeouts do you really think that's choking? I remember Ben being in a similar situation against us, and he threw an INT in/near the endzone to end the game.

Bengals vs. Bucs

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=28941&displayPage=tab_drive_cha rt&season=2006&week=REG6&override=true"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechar ... rride=true[/url]

35 seconds left on our own 28 yard line. Palmer puts us in field goal range and Graham misses it. I wouldn't blame Carson for that.

Bengals vs. Broncos

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29096&displayPage=tab_drive_cha rt&season=2006&week=REG16&override=true"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechar ... rride=true[/url]

3:52 left on our own 10 yard line, Palmer drives us down for a Touchdown. Missed Extra Point losses us the game. Not sure how that's Carson's fault.

Bengals vs. Steelers

[url="http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechart?game_id=29114&displayPage=tab_drive_cha rt&season=2006&week=REG17&override=true"]http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechar ... rride=true[/url]

1:03 left on our own 33 yard line, Palmer drives us into field goal range but Graham misses it. Again not Carson's fault.
    Okay, I really haven't had time to research this thoroughly but on the surface here are some numbers. I hope we can agree that the 4th quarter is crunch time for the team when the game is within 7 points. Here is Carson's passer ratings by year for that situation.

2003 - Did Not Play
    2004 - 68.2
    2005 - 91.9
    2006 - 116.7
    2007 - 63.6

Now, Carson's career passer rating is 90.1 so out of the 4 years that Carson has been playing he has only stepped it up once in crunch time. Now let's take a look at his ratings when behind which is also a situation the QB should step it up in.

2003 - Did Not Play
    2004 - 78.2
    2005 - 102.9
    2006 - 88.8
    2007 - 88.2

Again it shows he has only stepped it up one year in that situation. Now you have listed 4 situations where Carson has led the team back only to be let down by others. I agree that Carson did what he was supposed to do in those games. Unfortunately those types of things happen to ALL QBs. The same thing happened to Ben in the playoff game against the Jags last year. The real question is "How many OPPORTUNITIES has Carson had to come through and how often has he done it?". While you often hear how good a QB Carson is and how accurate he is what you don't often hear that with a minute left in the game and you are behind by 4 points you want Carson Palmer as your QB.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Les 74
    Sheesh! Pardon me for asking!
    You're excused,but not for liking that pathetic excuse for a "football" team.

At least they try to win without the aid of steroids!
    Oh,jeez!!!! I didn't know that the Bungles tried to win at anything other than having the team with the most convicts.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You're making blush JTS. Thanks for the invite and the compliments.

As for Joe, he is a tough person to read. I've had it out with him plenty of times (When CalSteeler got banned and now when Ike got banned). He's fine to debate with and he does keep that smack forum interesting, I just wish he didn't have any admin powers...
    Hehe...I think I agree with everything you said. Joe's biggest weakness is that it's really hard to tell when to take him seriously and when not to. That, and he does tend to get rather childish at times.

The Bat

i don't know...i own the guy on a regular basis over there, probably close to 8000 posts. of course i needed somewhere between 5 and 10 screen names to get it done. forget i said anything...

I'd like to think that he's changed a bit since Jom, 34 and I seriously jumped his case when he banned Cal Steeler. I suppose that is just wishful thinking on my part...

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Bat

I'd like to think that he's changed a bit since Jom, 34 and I seriously jumped his case when he banned Cal Steeler. I suppose that is just wishful thinking on my part...
    probably...

anyway, i hope you and jom keep popping in from time to time. i know my steeler brethren over here will appreciate some knowledge and insight from some very worthy bengal fans.