Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palmer late in games...

Pro Bowler

Palmer late in games...

Alright, I have had discussions with NKy a couple of times already about Palmer and how he does at the end of games. The perception that NKy and MSM have is that Palmer chokes at the end of games and fumbles the football.

The Fact though is that Palmer had a fumbling problem in 2006 but in 2007 where he only lost ONE fumble the whole season. Also in that 2006 season, only ONCE did Carson lost a fumble at the end of the game. Here are some links from the 2006 season which everyone gets on him for not coming through in the clutch to get us to the playoffs:

Bengals vs. Falcons

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/drivechar ... rride=true

00:19 seconds left on our own 17 yard line. Palmer fumbles, but really with 19 seconds on our own 17 yard line with zero timeouts do you really think that's choking? I remember Ben being in a similar situation against us, and he threw an INT in/near the endzone to end the game.

Bengals vs. Bucs

35 seconds left on our own 28 yard line. Palmer puts us in field goal range and Graham misses it. I wouldn't blame Carson for that.

Bengals vs. Broncos

3:52 left on our own 10 yard line, Palmer drives us down for a Touchdown. Missed Extra Point losses us the game. Not sure how that's Carson's fault.

Bengals vs. Steelers

1:03 left on our own 33 yard line, Palmer drives us into field goal range but Graham misses it. Again not Carson's fault.

Re: Palmer late in games...

Roethlisberger will end up with 2 or more SB rings, one of the highest all time yards per pass averages, one of the top QB ratings ever, and the books will say that he had nothing to do with it even though he played with Undrafted Free agents at tailback, Aging veterans such as Duce and Bettis, Entertainers like Cedric Wilson, and Bums like Nate Washington.

Meanwhile Carson Palmer will be the first QB to make the hall of fame without ever having won a playoff game. Mark those works.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    Roethlisberger will end up with 2 or more SB rings, one of the highest all time yards per pass averages, one of the top QB ratings ever, and the books will say that he had nothing to do with it even though he played with Undrafted Free agents at tailback, Aging veterans such as Duce and Bettis, Entertainers like Cedric Wilson, and Bums like Nate Washington.

Meanwhile Carson Palmer will be the first QB to make the hall of fame without ever having won a playoff game. Mark those works.
    Hey! Tony Romo and Carson Palmer might get into the HOF at the same time without ever winning a playoff game (where is my Cowboys suck smiley?...I know division rivals all suck, but Dallas, Oakland, and New England suck too!!!)

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Pro Bowler

Wow where to start.

1. Willie Parker is a successful undrafted free agent. Just like TJ Housh is a very successful 7th round draft pick. Just because they weren't highly regarded coming out of college doesn't mean either one are not pro bowl caliber players.

2. Ben had Plex his rookie season, who was nice tall target. Then he gets Santonio Holmes who is a 1st round draft pick. Also he gets Heath Miller, who is a very nice TE target. Let's not act like he's throwing to scrubs. Ben has 3 very solid targets in Ward, Holmes and Miller.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

Wow where to start.

1. Willie Parker is a successful undrafted free agent. Just like TJ Housh is a very successful 7th round draft pick. Just because they weren't highly regarded coming out of college doesn't mean either one are not pro bowl caliber players.

2. Ben had Plex his rookie season, who was nice tall target. Then he gets Santonio Holmes who is a 1st round draft pick. Also he gets Heath Miller, who is a very nice TE target. Let's not act like he's throwing to scrubs. Ben has 3 very solid targets in Ward, Holmes and Miller.
    I have a couple questions:
    How come Palmer waited until the 4th quarter to show up against the Steelers? You don't call that choking?

Do you realize Miller is a TE, who has to block as well as catch? Great hands sure, but even you have to admit he's not as consistent a target.

Why is it that Palmer needs three Pro-Bowl WR's around him just to put up big numbers?

Why are you even here? Did smack talk on the cincy boards get too boring?

By the way,

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch

Wow where to start.

How come Palmer waited until the 4th quarter to show up against the Steelers? You don't call that choking?

Do you realize Miller is a TE, who has to block as well as catch? Great hands sure, but even you have to admit he's not as consistent a target.

Why is it that Palmer needs three Pro-Bowl WR's around him just to put up big numbers?

By the way,
    Give Jom a break. I've been going at it with him on the Bengal Smack Forum for quite a while now. Well, at least until I was recently banned. You have to give him credit for coming over here and posting on a steelers board. For him it's got to be like going to a gunfight armed with only a knife. Besides, what good is it to have a Trash Talking forum without the fans from other teams?

Now back to the smack. So Jom, answer the question, how do you think Rosey Palmer would do if he didn't have the Pro Bowl receivers and a very good pass blocking line?
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Pro Bowler

See here is the problem. Just because you have a "Pro bowl" receiver or even two, it doesn't mean they are automatically open every single play. When your run game is pathetic, teams can play the cover 2 and take away your top targets. Then you need a third option. It doesn't have to be a great third option just a consistent one.

I've said many times on the Bengals board that I was glad once Chris Henry was waived. He is a great talent but what we need more is someone who trains with Palmer through Training Camp and is there week in and week out. Same issue with Antonio Chatman the guy can not stay healthy. Then you had Tab Perry, again couldn't stay healthy.

Also I think you highly under-rate how important a TE is to the passing game. This is how you move the chains. That's why I'm glad we got Ben Utecht.

Now I have a question for you. Ben now has Limas Sweed, Mendenhall, FWP, Ward, Holmes and Miller. Is that enough weapons or are you guys still going to complain that Palmer has "Pro bowl" receivers and the Ben doesn't have anyone?

As for coming to these boards. I realized when on the Bengals boards that I learned more about the game smacking with opposing teams fans such as Ike, CalSteeler, Steely_J, JTS, GreggyDigital BmoreBlitz, Phil Savage and others than I did with fellow fans. I follow the Bengals and read the same articles that my fellow fans do, it's nice to get an outside perspective of the team. I think some of your fellow fans should try doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

Give Jom a break. I've been going at it with him on the Bengal Smack Forum for quite a while now. Well, at least until I was recently banned. You have to give him credit for coming over here and posting on a steelers board. For him it's got to be like going to a gunfight armed with only a knife. Besides, what good is it to have a Trash Talking forum without the fans from other teams?

Now back to the smack. So Jom, answer the question, how do you think Rosey Palmer would do if he didn't have the Pro Bowl receivers and a very good pass blocking line?
    When's the last time the line has been healthy? Willie was hurt in 2006 and 2007. Levi has been hurt 2006 and 2007. Eric G. is almost as bad as Mahan and we lost Steinbach back in 2005. This season is the first time that the line is starting to look solid again.

In 2006 Palmer had a fairly good season. 2007 he didn't. Everyone gets their one bad season, and when he bounces back this season you'll understand why Bengal fans think is going to be a great QB (Granted a good amount already do)...

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

I give him all the credit in the world, actually. He has a lot more spine than most Bengals fans I've run into in the smack forum. Only here, he's going to find out who the REAL big dogs are.

So you aren't confused, this is the guy known over there as SC43.

Speaking of which, why were you banned? I find it a miracle I haven't been banned yet!

When's the last time the line has been healthy? Willie was hurt in 2006 and 2007. Levi has been hurt 2006 and 2007. Eric G. is almost as bad as Mahan and we lost Steinbach back in 2005. This season is the first time that the line is starting to look solid again.

In 2006 Palmer had a fairly good season. 2007 he didn't. Everyone gets their one bad season, and when he bounces back this season you'll understand why Bengal fans think is going to be a great QB (Granted a good amount already do)...
    Ahem, are you seriously comparing your O-line to ours? I'm sure your line wasn't top notch, but frankly there is NO comparison. You want to know who we had starting for our line?

Smith - left tackle who played with back problems, had to sit out for a few games
    Faneca - aging guard, past his prime, who was still a good run blocker but not a great pass blocker.
    And now, the three stooges:
    Mahan - Do I really need to say anything here? The man is a joke.
    Simmons - a guard with diabetes and knee problems who probably shouldn't have even been starting in the first place.
    Colon - a man with short arms who shouldn't have been playing tackle, he gave up more sacks than anyone on the line.

Now before you say Ben holds on too long, I read an article a while back examining how long it took for Ben to get sacked. If I recall correctly, the majority of the sacks still came within 4 seconds.

Pro Bowler

Ahem, are you seriously comparing your O-line to ours? I'm sure your line wasn't top notch, but frankly there is NO comparison. You want to know who we had starting for our line?

Smith - left tackle who played with back problems, had to sit out for a few games
    Faneca - aging guard, past his prime, who was still a good run blocker but not a great pass blocker.
    And now, the three stooges:
    Mahan - Do I really need to say anything here? The man is a joke.
    Simmons - a guard with diabetes and knee problems who probably shouldn't have even been starting in the first place.
    Colon - a man with short arms who shouldn't have been playing tackle, he gave up more sacks than anyone on the line.

Now before you say Ben holds on too long, I read an article a while back examining how long it took for Ben to get sacked. If I recall correctly, the majority of the sacks still came within 4 seconds.
    No I'm not comparing our lines to yours. The only comparison made was to diss Eric G., who blows. I would take our line over yours any day of the week. But we haven't had an "elite" O-Line since 2005 like many people claim. The last two seasons our O-Line has been about average. Don't let the "fewest sacks allowed" line fool you, Palmer has had to throw the ball a lot sooner than he wanted to way too many times over the past two seasons.

Does anyone know where to find out how many times a QB was "hurried" as opposed to "sacked"?

And it's good to see you over here SC. Now I can own you on two sites...

Bengaltime

What about the size difference between Pittsburgh's O line and ours. I wonder how that compares?