Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Total Access Top Ten Rookie Seasons - No Ben???

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: NFL Total Access Top Ten Rookie Seasons - No Ben???

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Doesn't really suprise me.

He had wins, not gaudy stats.....
    Stop it, MJG... Common sense isn't allowed in this thread.
    Check my reply to MJG. Ben's stats are comparable to Marino's.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

They're definitely comparable but I would give a slight edge to Marino. Besides Marino who else would you take off the list to get Ben into the top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    This is crazy!!!!! Without researching the 10 listed, I would definitely think Ben should be in the Top 3. Not being in the top 10 is absolutely uncalled for!!!

Top 10 is definitely debatable, but no way in heck is he top 3.

Gale Sayers didn't even make top three and that man was unbelievable his rookie season. 14 TD's rushing, 6 TD's receiving, 1 kick return for a TD, 1 punt return for a TD and he threw a pass for a TD (All in a 14 game season). He was an offensive machine...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

They're definitely comparable but I would give a slight edge to Marino. Besides Marino who else would you take off the list to get Ben into the top 10?
    Just curious why you'd give the edge to Marino?

Not sure who'd come off the list, but you can't argue that Ben belongs on it. Come on. 13-0 as a starter with his first loss coming to the eventual champs (cheaters) in the AFCCG??? I'm not one to usually cry about lack of respect, but this is pretty blatant.

On a related note, did anyone see Al Michaels on last week? Eisen couldn't wait to discuss the "questionable" calls during SBXL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote="Jom112

Top 10 is definitely debatable, but no way in heck is he top 3.

Gale Sayers didn't even make top three and that man was unbelievable his rookie season. 14 TD's rushing, 6 TD's receiving, 1 kick return for a TD, 1 punt return for a TD and he threw a pass for a TD (All in a 14 game season). He was an offensive machine...[/quote]

And your other 2 that round out your top 3?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not sure who'd come off the list, but you can't argue that Ben belongs on it. Come on. 13-0 as a starter with his first loss coming to the eventual champs (cheaters) in the AFCCG??? I'm not one to usually cry about lack of respect, but this is pretty blatant.

On a related note, did anyone see Al Michaels on last week? Eisen couldn't wait to discuss the "questionable" calls during SBXL
    I gave the slight edge to Marino because:

1. I'm a

2. The TD:INT ratio. Marino only played in 11 games his rookie season (Opposed to Ben's 13/14) and still threw for 3 more TD's than Ben. Ben had a good season as well, but I still give the slight edge the Marino...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    And your other 2 that round out your top 3?
    1. Eric Dickerson - Ran for 1,800 yards as a rookie. Nuff said.

2. Gale Sayers - All around was unbelieveable. Running, catching, returning kicks and even throwing the ball. You combine Tomlinson and Hester and you have Sayers.

3. This is a difficult one. The original LT was dominate even in his rookie season, but sacks weren't counted as a "stat" back then, so it's hard to make a case for him. If you believe what people say, he had double digit sacks in his rookie season.

I would personally say LT. Nightrain I will admit I don't know much about...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I gave the slight edge to Marino because:

1. I'm a

2. The TD:INT ratio. Marino only played in 11 games his rookie season (Opposed to Ben's 13/14) and still threw for 3 more TD's than Ben. Ben had a good season as well, but I still give the slight edge the Marino...
    I'm not saying to take Marino off the list. Like I said, I think he and Ben had comparable rookie seasons. Just that if Marino is on there, Ben should be too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm not saying to take Marino off the list. Like I said, I think he and Ben had comparable rookie seasons. Just that if Marino is on there, Ben should be too.
    That's a good point. Similar to Prisco's list on the top 50 NFL players. If Palmer is #8 then Ben should be close by.

Marino is 9 though and it's almost impossible to compare the impact of a safety like Ronnie Lott to the impact of a QB, so I won't try...

Legend

User Info Menu

The ints are close (Ben's are slightly worse) and the rating is similar (Ben's is slightly better), but, the TDs are significantly different. That's why Marino should be ahead of Ben... and if he's #9, Ben is behind him... and best case, #10.

A better look at the TD numbers.

Marino had more TDs in 4 fewer games.... Nearly a TD per game more.

20 in 9 games... that's over 2.2 per game...
    17 in 13 games... 1.3 per game.

That's not comparable, at all. One guy was on pace for 35.5 over a 16 game season. That's a pro bowl pace. The other was on pace for 20.8. That's average.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The ints are close (Ben's are slightly worse) and the rating is similar (Ben's is slightly better), but, the TDs are significantly different. That's why Marino should be ahead of Ben... and if he's #9, Ben is behind him... and best case, #10.

A better look at the TD numbers.

Marino had more TDs in 4 fewer games.... Nearly a TD per game more.

20 in 9 games... that's over 2.2 per game...
    17 in 13 games... 1.3 per game.

That's not comparable, at all. One guy was on pace for 35.5 over a 16 game season. That's a pro bowl pace. The other was on pace for 20.8. That's average.
    But you're only looking at one stat. BTW, the stats I selected to compare were the ones that Total Acess displayed when they announced Marino at #9. Just so you know I didn't come up with them.

So if I choose to compare only the wins/losses stat, Ben comes out way ahead. Not saying we should do this. Just saying you can't pick one stat (td's in your case) to make a comparison.