Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok, can anyone explain this too me?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Ok, can anyone explain this too me?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    The Steelers should have scrapped the slow 7 step drops that practically encourage the line to break down. And didn't Ben play a shotgun / spread offense in college?
    Obviously he did... That is what won him so much noteriety his Junior year... And BTW, you can factor in that we had a "younger-than-normal" qb the first season since he forwent his senior year.... Unlike most.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Jom...I have to disagree. First when you run shotgun 5 wr sets...it spreads out a D. It makes it much harder to blitz. Take the Steelers a few years back. I can't remember the year but the Pats figured out if you spread the Steelers out...our blitz was much less effective. It allows the QB to be able to read and know where the blitz is coming from. It's much harder to disquise a blitz when the opposition in in 4-5 wide. Not to mention it can take away a teams ability to take the field with their blitzing LBs. Most teams must match up with the very least a nickle package.

This is why Ben thrived in the 4-5 wide sets. It put him into shotgun and made it harder for the opposition to blitz...and disguise the blitz. Ben in this situation will pick a D apart. The reason Ariens didn't use it more often is unfathomable. I believe that's MSMs point...and it's a good one.
    correct. The Steelers should have scrapped the slow 7 step drops that practically encourage the line to break down. And didn't Ben play a shotgun / spread offense in college?
    Yup...so again why wasn't Ariens using more of it? I would have loved to see Ariens break a D down with no huddle 4-5 wide sets two to three times a game. Change it up...I mean dayum Ben has proven he thrives in these sets and situations. I truely believe I could coach this O better.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Jom...I have to disagree. First when you run shotgun 5 wr sets...it spreads out a D. It makes it much harder to blitz. Take the Steelers a few years back. I can't remember the year but the Pats figured out if you spread the Steelers out...our blitz was much less effective. It allows the QB to be able to read and know where the blitz is coming from. It's much harder to disquise a blitz when the opposition in in 4-5 wide. Not to mention it can take away a teams ability to take the field with their blitzing LBs. Most teams must match up with the very least a nickle package.

This is why Ben thrived in the 4-5 wide sets. It put him into shotgun and made it harder for the opposition to blitz...and disguise the blitz. Ben in this situation will pick a D apart. The reason Ariens didn't use it more often is unfathomable. I believe that's MSMs point...and it's a good one.
    5 wide receiver sets, yes. 3 wide receiver sets, no.

4 wide, we'll flip a coin to see which side that falls on...

That is the common number all or most official stats companies use.
    Thanks, I knew the # looked familar. Just wasn't sure from where...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    The Steelers should have scrapped the slow 7 step drops that practically encourage the line to break down. And didn't Ben play a shotgun / spread offense in college?
    Obviously he did... That is what won him so much noteriety his Junior year... And BTW, you can factor in that we had a "younger-than-normal" qb the first season since he forwent his senior year.... Unlike most.
    your absolutely right. But it doesn't matter. You can't convince them. Just let Ben keep beating their heads in.

Legend

User Info Menu

Brady had a perfect passer rating when 2 WR's were in the game!?!?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

It's pretty hard to run out of a shotgun 5 receiver set.

Yes we could be a high octane passing offense all of the time, but if the defense knows this, they will eventually find a way to stop it.

You can blame Arians, but we do have a pretty good ground game, and it eats the clock. Coaches need to mix it up. If they don't most teams will solve your puzzle rather quickly. BTW, I don't count any of Brady's* stats, because he is a cheater. It's easier to complete passes if you know what the defense is doing before the play.

I agree Arians should go no huddle shotgun 4 and 5 receiver sets more often, but we still have to grind it to win, IMO.

Hogerules33

Quote Originally Posted by sd steel
    It's pretty hard to run out of a shotgun 5 receiver set.
    Agreed, seeing as how in a 5 wide set there is no running back lol

Yes we could be a high octane passing offense all of the time, but if the defense knows this, they will eventually find a way to stop it.

You can blame Arians, but we do have a pretty good ground game, and it eats the clock. Coaches need to mix it up. If they don't most teams will solve your puzzle rather quickly. BTW, I don't count any of Brady's* stats, because he is a cheater. It's easier to complete passes if you know what the defense is doing before the play.

I agree Arians should go no huddle shotgun 4 and 5 receiver sets more often, but we still have to grind it to win, IMO.
    I agree with everything you say here. Shotgun 4 and 5 receiver sets are nice when you need to score quickly, or when you want to mix it up, but it is not something you can do all the time in the NFL. With a strong running game you can control the tempo of the game, and control the clock especially. You can also use the run to set up the pass (play-action, etc). I'd love to see Ben's play-action stats compared to other QB's in the NFL, as I bet they are quite high.

There are some teams in college that use a shotgun 4/5 wide set as their base offense (Texas Tech, Hawaii, others). Their QB's put up disgusting numbers each year, but it is a one dimensional offense that is successful for two reasons mainly. First, not many defenses are used to seeing it, so there is a preparation factor. Secondly, in college receivers only need 1 foot in bounds for a catch, which helps tremendously for clock management in a passing based system.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starter

User Info Menu

i'll suggest to you that

2 wide is almost certainly 1st and 2nd down.

with 3 wide being 3rd (and long) which is why the lesser rating

but keeping in mind that

4 wide is indeed the "KGun" which is run from the shotgun.

you want to see something odd on that list... look for Peyton Manning...

apparently the colts only run 3 wide- or there is a mistake with the list.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Brady had a perfect passer rating when 2 WR's were in the game!?!?
    i dont think that means much of anything. how often were they in a 2 wr set? id bet less than 15 % of the time