Thread: Dynasty League Advice...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dynasty League Advice...

So I'm going to be in a Fantasy Football Dynasty League for the first time this season. For those of you who have done it before what advice do you have?

I'm trying to put together a top 50 list. Right now my top 3 look like this:

1. Carson Palmer
    2. Ben Roethlisberger (Let's not turn this into a Carson vs. Ben debate, this is fantasy football we're talking about).
    3. Adrian Peterson

I give a slight advantage to QB's over RB's because they tend to play longer (Plus there are very few young QB's who can get it done). Do you guys think this is a bad strategy? Also do you think I should still put Manning and Brady as the top QB's instead of taking a Carson or Ben? Eventhough they are older they still have several years of good fantasy football left...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Dynasty League Advice...

I have been doing a dynasty type league for 15 years or so (yes even before the fantasy football boom). I'll tell you, if your league is anything like mine, with a bunch of close friends as owners that talk alot and stuff, the trading will likely be hot and heavy, especially before the draft. Everyone jockeys for draft position to grab the good rookies (we use a lottery system similar to NBA using the position you finish as a determinant of how many balls you get in the lottery). So while "dynasty" has the connotation of being a league where you grab a guy and hold on to him, chances are you will hold on to a guy for 2 or 3 years at most and then either trade him, or you end up finding a new guy that blows up and you can replace him.

With that said, you have to go after running backs. Sure their lifespan is shorter, but they are the most scarce commodity in Fantasy Football and having 2 good ones is hard to come by. If you ever picked Palmer or Ben over Adrian Peterson or Ladanian, you would likely get

a. laughed at
    b. kicked out of the league
    c. kicked out of your circle of friends
    d. all of the above

Ha. Seriously though, I would never condone nor recommend taking a QB over one of the top 2 or 3 running backs. Chances are a "Brady-like" season such as last year from any QB will not happen again.

Most Fantasy websites/magazines usually have a decent dynasty listing and steer you in the right direction. Sure you want to go young for the most part, but not at the expense of passing on a good middle aged player (look at Tory Holt or Terrell Owens, he still produces but would be a little lower on the list because you got a few years left in him).
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice.

In regular fantasy football, I always go with RB's ahead of QB's. It's been working well so far. But in dynasty I wasn't sure what to expect. I have a high degree of certainty that Carson and Ben will be solid QB's fantasy wise for the next several years. I was hoping to get one of them then build over the next couple of years through the draft or via trades good RB's and WR's.

I figured that there is more of a high turnover rate at the RB position. RB's are more injury prone and many teams are using two back systems, so I figured why pick a RB now then in two years they end up just sharing carries like FWP. Where as Ben or Carson you know will not be sharing playing time.

You do make a good case though. I think I will have the elite RB's like Peterson, Steven Jackson and LT on the top of my list but still have Carson and Ben higher than the next tier of RB's like Frank Gore...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's a link with a decent rundown on the various players.... Just click on each player for it.

[url="http://www.grogansports.com/scopedirectory.asp"]http://www.grogansports.com/scopedirectory.asp[/url]