Thread: Gene Upshaw

BIG FAN

Gene Upshaw

Saw on the NFLC, where the NFLPA is now looking for a successor to Gene Upshaw, I wonder if his comments at the rookie symposium about the commish being crazy helped bring this on or what. The crawl stated they want six finalists by Jan.1. I have no idea who will replace him, any thoughts?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Gene Upshaw

Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    Saw on the NFLC, where the NFLPA is now looking for a successor to Gene Upshaw, I wonder if his comments at the rookie symposium about the commish being crazy helped bring this on or what. The crawl stated they want six finalists by Jan.1. I have no idea who will replace him, any thoughts?
    I can't wait for Gene Upshaw to leave the NFLPA. Troy Vincent I think would be the front runner to replace him. He used to the be the players president plus he's no longer playing. I think he would do a decent job.

My personal choice though would be Robert Smith, the ex vikings running back. He seems to be one of the more intelligent football players, plus he's not a hot head like Upshaw...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

i remember they were talking about replacing him a few months ago.
    i don't think the players are very impressed with him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG FAN
    I can't wait for Gene Upshaw to leave the NFLPA. Troy Vincent I think would be the front runner to replace him. He used to the be the players president plus he's no longer playing. I think he would do a decent job.

My personal choice though would be Robert Smith, the ex vikings running back. He seems to be one of the more intelligent football players, plus he's not a hot head like Upshaw...
    Wait you didn't hear Robert Smith on Mike and Mike in the morning yesterday? You would take the hot head comment back I think. Although to his credit, he is supremely knowledgable about everything that is Collective Bargaining and I agree with you on him being a good replacement. He was only getting heated because he is claiming the media and fans don't really know what is going on and are blowing this whole rookie contract issue way out of proportion. But his delivery was so snide and argumentative, which is fine, I don't blame him. But he sounded pretty hot headed to me. When you are as smart as he is, and hear people trying to talk about something they may not be very well informed about, then I suppose its okay to be a little steamed.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Wait you didn't hear Robert Smith on Mike and Mike in the morning yesterday? You would take the hot head comment back I think. Although to his credit, he is supremely knowledgable about everything that is Collective Bargaining and I agree with you on him being a good replacement. He was only getting heated because he is claiming the media and fans don't really know what is going on and are blowing this whole rookie contract issue way out of proportion. But his delivery was so snide and argumentative, which is fine, I don't blame him. But he sounded pretty hot headed to me. When you are as smart as he is, and hear people trying to talk about something they may not be very well informed about, then I suppose its okay to be a little steamed.
    Missed that yesterday. Which side of the rookie contract issue did he fall on?

BIG FAN

Jom may be right, if he's already making the rounds on the sports shows he may already be tapped as one of the six finalists.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Missed that yesterday. Which side of the rookie contract issue did he fall on?
    He basically is saying that the rookie contract situation is a NON-ISSUE. People are too hung up on the absolute numbers of the contracts getting higher, but when you look at the % of what today's rookie contracts are commanding versus say 1994, it is actually lower. I can't recall the actual situation he brought up, but he had an example to back it up. Then he was throwing out a host of other issues.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Chemsteel

The main issue is total revenue sharing. Everthing else is a "Red Herring".

If the next NFLPA Chief is a Contract Lawyer then bet that there will be labor agreement after 2009.

Don't forget that Bob Kraft has a lot to say about the next union chief.