Thread: Sports attendance up, hot dog spending down.

Hall of Famer

Sports attendance up, hot dog spending down.

Sports Attendance Up, Hot Dog Spending Down
    Fans Still Buy Tickets, But Stay Away From Concessions

By Ben Klayman
    June 29, 2008

Sports fans are still going to the ballpark, but don't spend much money once they get there.

But he is cutting back on hot dogs and beer at the relatively expensive concession stands at Wrigley Field. "I try to spend less at the game," said Holzhammer, 55. "I came up with three high-school boys and I had them eat outside the ballpark."

Even in an economic downturn, fans still go to sports games, and some leagues are setting attendance records, but such statistics hide a more complicated story on the effect of a weakening U.S. economy on sports.

In a Reuters/Zogby survey on June 12 to 14, almost 15 percent of those polled said they are attending fewer sporting events this year, and most of those people cited the weak economy as the reason. About 28 percent are spending less on food and souvenirs.

The results of the survey were borne out in numerous interviews at ballparks, arenas, golf courses and race tracks around the United States, where fans like Holzhammer said they were scaling back on what they spend.

Bob Carter, 66, has given up ticket packages for National Football League and Major League Baseball teams in Houston. "I'm retired. On a fixed income you can't do a whole lot, but I had to cut back," he said.

Carter was speaking on May 31 at a Houston Dynamo Major League Soccer game, where tickets on average are less expensive than the local football and baseball teams.

Americans like Carter have every reason to be gloomy. Home prices extended their record slide in April, average prices at the gas pump top $4 a gallon, food prices are surging and former U.S. Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has warned the U.S. economy is "on the brink" of recession.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Re: Sports attendance up, hot dog spending down.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Sports Attendance Up, Hot Dog Spending Down...
    ...but not at Dollar Dog Night at the Prog Shop!!!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!