Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browns better watch out for Big Ben

Hall of Famer

Browns better watch out for Big Ben

Optimistic Browns better watch out for Big Ben
    June 28, 2008
    Clifton Brown

The Cleveland Browns have become a trendy pick to win the AFC North next season.

Ben Roethlisberger would not agree. The Steelers' quarterback still likes the Steelers. And with training camp still about a month away -- long before injuries and unforeseen circumstances could dramatically change things -- I tend to agree with Roethlisberger. I think the Steelers are the team to beat in the AFC North.

I mention this only because I recently read comments made by Roethlisberger while conducting his summer youth camp. Roethlisberger sounded like a happy camper. He talked about winning another Super Bowl. He talked about beginning his second year with offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and reaching a new comfort level with the system. Roethlisberger talked about becoming a more vocal leader at age 26, knowing that is part of a quarterback's job.

Every NFL player is optimistic at this time of year, but Roethlisberger sounds ready to embrace his role as a franchise player. The $102 million contract extension he signed last March will make his heating bill in Pittsburgh a lot more affordable, even at today's prices.

The Steelers have been there, done that. They are used to winning division titles. They have key players like Hines Ward, Willie Parker, and Troy Polamalu who have played big in big games. They are accustomed to handling high expectations.

This is a new situation for the Browns, who are coming off a 10-6 season in which they barely missed the playoffs. It was only the Browns' second winning season since 1999. Now the Browns are expected to win, and that's a different kind of pressure, one some teams have trouble getting used to.

I'm looking forward to Week 2, when the Steelers visit the Browns, and to Dec. 28, when the Browns visit the Steelers in the regular season finale. The Steelers beat the Browns twice last season. The Browns can't let that happen again, not if they are serious about winning the division.

My biggest question about the Steelers regards their offensive line, which lost guard Alan Faneca to the Jets in free agency. Roethlisberger was sacked 47 times last season, and that total would have been higher if Big Ben went down easily.

Protecting Roethlisberger is a major issue, but with Ward, Santonio Holmes, Heath Miller and rookie Limas Sweed, Roethlisberger has plenty of targets to throw to when given time. The Browns have made personnel changes on defense, bringing in Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers to bolster the defensive line. But I still think the Steelers' defense is better.

This won't make me very popular with Browns fans, even though I like their team and think they could make the playoffs as a wild card. But if he stays healthy, Roethlisberger sounds like a player poised for a big season. It may not be enough to get the Steelers to a Super Bowl, but I still think the Browns will have a tough time dealing with Big Ben.

Clifton Brown is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at cliftonbrown@sportingnews.com.

BIG FAN

Re: Browns better watch out for Big Ben

I liked the part about how the stains are going to handle the expectation of winning.
    Granted they had their first winning record in eight years, but the more I think about it the more I believe they become a copy of the bungles, highly touted, only to fall apart and revert back to their true form as cellar dwellers.
    They will be fortunate to be 1-4 out of the first five of the season. Wonder what kind of expectations of winning they will have then?

Here is how you know Ben is the superstar.

Every Article wrote from outsiders is about Stopping Ben.

Every Magazine in the Newsstands has Ben , and not Parker on the cover.

Legend

Browns are exposed this season like the Saints last year. Finish the season 8-8 or 7-9.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Browns are exposed this season like the Saints last year. Finish the season 8-8 or 7-9.
    I believe you may be correct.

Hall of Famer

Anderson will prove to be a "one-year-wonder". He is an average qb at best, but when the time to shine came in important games, he faltered... If they had beaten the Bengals, they would have been in the playoffs (obviously there were other opportunities, but I'm referring to the end of the season). But Anderson choked in what might have been the biggest game of his life. Is Quinn the answer?... No. ...

BIG FAN

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Anderson will prove to be a "one-year-wonder". He is an average qb at best, but when the time to shine came in important games, he faltered... If they had beaten the Bengals, they would have been in the playoffs (obviously there were other opportunities, but I'm referring to the end of the season). But Anderson choked in what might have been the biggest game of his life. Is Quinn the answer?... No. ...
    I think you are right on the money with this. I have a feeling we see Quinn this year but only after they give the hook to Anderson early. His performance at the end of the season with a playoff berth on the line will continue as other teams continue to game for him. The stains had a decent season last year, but anytime you show a strength often enough in the NFL, your opponents invariably will attack it. When they do put Quinn in finally, and he takes his lumps, what will Romeo's excuse be this year?

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

We can start with the last question first.

Think about when Quinn was under The Dome. Can anyone name me a time when Quinn won a big game for ND? It's not possible because it never happened. The guy was abysmal in bowl games and against Michigan.

Dial ahead to this year's biggest soap opera: As The Clowns Turn. Quinn is the recipient of all the good will in the DA Is A Bum sweepstakes. DA loses to Dallas and Pittsburgh in consecutive weeks and DA sucks balls (he does, but who's counting?) according to the sycophantery that is the Clowns "Nation".

Enter Quinn and all the expectations that go with him. Maybe he wins a few. I'm thinking mostly against Cincitucky and Baltimore. But put him in against a real football team and watch him circle the drain.

The Clowns will need to play at least as well as they did last year to get to .500. They don't play the Sisters of the Poor like they did last year this season. They play seven playoff teams from last season, the Steelers twice. We'll see what the Lords of the Off-Season do when they are in the pressure cooker all season long. And they have not improved over last season.

For the Clowns to even sniff the playoffs, they'll need to sweep both the Ratfarts and the Bungholes. That's doubtful on its face. Their MO will be the same as last year, get into a track meet and hope their D can keep the opposing O out of the endzone.

Anything better than .500 for the Clowns this season should be ample reason for their sycophants to rejoice.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

i agree, anderson was awful in the last few games last year which were the most important of the season. all they had to do is beat cincy and they couldnt even do that. i think the smartest thing the browns could do is to trade either anderson or quinn right now. neiter players value will ever be this high again.

Their defense is going to be the problem again. While they may have improved in stopping the run with their acquisitions, they have not addressed their secondary.

Until the Browns address their deficiencies on defense, they will not be on par with the Steelers. And while the Browns should be scared of Big Ben, they should be more scared of our defense

And while they may make it as a wildcard, the AFC North Championship still goes through Pittsburgh.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.