Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Gary Russell...

Re: Gary Russell...

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.
    While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    Pretty much everything you described revolves around speed. Honestly his lateral movement is very average. He can be open field elusive mainly because he is so dayum fast. The comment about the sprinter doesn't really make sense because I didn't say he had no ability to run the ball. Obviously, he is a running back. But, his lack of natural running back skill is hidden by his freakish speed.
    The comment about the sprinter applies. You said "crazy blazing speed and nothing else." It was an oversimplification. Again, I generally agree with you. Further, I agree his lateral agility isn't all that great.

All I'm saying is there is a lot to the running phase of the game. Some of it Parker does well and it isn't about pure speed. For example, other backs have survived in this league by being shifty (shifting gears) and not necessarily fast. This is a skill that Parker has which some fast runners don't.
    I think you took me too literal. Obviously, I was being overdramatic for effect. He certainly has RB skills. He just doesn't have pro bowl RB skills. He has sub average RB skills....but he is not absent of rb skills.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Pro Bowler

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.
    While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    Pretty much everything you described revolves around speed. Honestly his lateral movement is very average. He can be open field elusive mainly because he is so dayum fast. The comment about the sprinter doesn't really make sense because I didn't say he had no ability to run the ball. Obviously, he is a running back. But, his lack of natural running back skill is hidden by his freakish speed.
    The comment about the sprinter applies. You said "crazy blazing speed and nothing else." It was an oversimplification. Again, I generally agree with you. Further, I agree his lateral agility isn't all that great.

All I'm saying is there is a lot to the running phase of the game. Some of it Parker does well and it isn't about pure speed. For example, other backs have survived in this league by being shifty (shifting gears) and not necessarily fast. This is a skill that Parker has which some fast runners don't.
    I think you took me too literal. Obviously, I was being overdramatic for effect. He certainly has RB skills. He just doesn't have pro bowl RB skills. He has sub average RB skills....but he is not absent of rb skills.

FWP can't be expected to carry the load year in & year out. I think is his better used when he has some help. I think FWP thinks so also. He's was happy when Mendenhall was drafted.....

Hall of Famer

From now on, please leave being "overdramatic for effect" to my daughter. She is much better at it than you.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.[/quote]

Pretty much everything you described revolves around speed. Honestly his lateral movement is very average. He can be open field elusive mainly because he is so dayum fast. The comment about the sprinter doesn't really make sense because I didn't say he had no ability to run the ball. Obviously, he is a running back. But, his lack of natural running back skill is hidden by his freakish speed.[/quote]

All I'm saying is there is a lot to the running phase of the game. Some of it Parker does well and it isn't about pure speed. For example, other backs have survived in this league by being shifty (shifting gears) and not necessarily fast. This is a skill that Parker has which some fast runners don't.[/quote]

I think you took me too literal. Obviously, I was being overdramatic for effect. He certainly has RB skills. He just doesn't have pro bowl RB skills. He has sub average RB skills....but he is not absent of rb skills.[/quote]

From now on, please leave being "overdramatic for effect" to my daughter. She is much better at it than you. [/quote]

STFU you POS!!!! You disagree with me??? Don't you know who I am???

Wait...that was a bit much.
    2014 NFL Draft

Looking at the post counts of those involved I have come to 2 conclusions:

1. SMG is right.

2. steelblood is in dire need of a super atomic wedgie.

Carry on, folks.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma
    Looking at the post counts of those involved I have come to 2 conclusions:

1. SMG is right.

2. steelblood is in dire need of a super atomic wedgie.

Carry on, folks.

Exactly my thinking.
    2014 NFL Draft

Parker is definitely has "below average" skills...

Any RB would put up 1200 yards behind the Steelers stellar offensive line...

Hall of Famer

Some of you are just too tough on this OL. There were better OL in the league last year but maybe everything isn't on the OL. Just look at some of these number. You wouldn't think the last line about sacks is true with some of these. There are other parts of the equation to the sack numbers. Even though we watched the games and thought they were so horrible at run blocking, those numbers look good too!

AFC Offensive Ranking
    Steelers
    Totals
    10th PLAYS FROM SCRIMMAGE
    1st TIME OF POSESSION
    6th POINTS PER GAME
    8th TOTAL OFFENSE
    8th FIRST DOWNS PER GAME
    3rd THIRD DOWN %

Passing
    9th YARDS PER GAME
    2nd AVERAGE YARDS PER PLAY
    2nd FIRST DOWN PERCENTAGE
    2nd TD
    5th COMPLETION PERCENTAGE
    16th ATTEMPTS PER GAME

Rushing
    3rd ATTEMPTS PER GAME
    2nd YARDS PER GAME
    4th YARDS PER CARRY

SACKS GIVEN UP - 3RD WORST

What do you see?
    I see a ball control offense that is very good at running the ball and taking time off the clock. Very efficient on 3rd downs. Based on the passing numbers of ATTEMPS PER GAME/AVG YARDS PER PLAY/FIRST DOWN %/TDS...When the team does pass it is a vertical passing offense. Designed for down the field completions based on FIRST DOWN %. It seems to me that some of the sacks come from offensive design. Deeper paterns take more time & deeper drops. Add in the fact Ben is mobile and tries to buy time with his legs...The sack number isn't a total reflection of the OL play. The OL could use some improvement from 2007...But I'm not putting all the blame on them.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Parker is definitely has "below average" skills...

Any RB would put up 1200 yards behind the Steelers stellar offensive line...
    Pffft.
    2014 NFL Draft