Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gary Russell...

Re: Gary Russell...

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.
    While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    Pretty much everything you described revolves around speed. Honestly his lateral movement is very average. He can be open field elusive mainly because he is so dayum fast. The comment about the sprinter doesn't really make sense because I didn't say he had no ability to run the ball. Obviously, he is a running back. But, his lack of natural running back skill is hidden by his freakish speed.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Parker was leading the NFL (before getting hurt) last year behind a oline that had some problems of it's own. That should count for somthing.
    When you can't sustain a drive or run in the red zone...it doesn't mean a whole lot. What it does mean is Parker is a good change of pace back best used in late game situations.
    i dont think parker would be a bad goaline back. he never had a chance last season to prove one way or another. the o-line was awful in goaline situations so you cant fault parker for that. just about every goal line play the line got no push at all or the o-line would get pushed back a yard or so. also about fwp's ypc avg dropped off a bit last season. the o-line has to take some blame or a lot of the blame for that. how many runs did fwp have where a d-lineman hit him in the backfield. i remember there being a ton of plays with a d-lineman already in the backfield when he got the handoff

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Parker was leading the NFL (before getting hurt) last year behind a oline that had some problems of it's own. That should count for somthing.
    When you can't sustain a drive or run in the red zone...it doesn't mean a whole lot. What it does mean is Parker is a good change of pace back best used in late game situations.
    i dont think parker would be a bad goaline back. he never had a chance last season to prove one way or another. the o-line was awful in goaline situations so you cant fault parker for that. just about every goal line play the line got no push at all or the o-line would get pushed back a yard or so. also about fwp's ypc avg dropped off a bit last season. the o-line has to take some blame or a lot of the blame for that. how many runs did fwp have where a d-lineman hit him in the backfield. i remember there being a ton of plays with a d-lineman already in the backfield when he got the handoff
    Good goaline backs have great RB vision and good strength to break arm tackles/move the pile. Some of these guys are great at the goaline but average at best anywhere else. The only way Parker could be utilized as a GL back is with a "Sprint-Out" sweep to the cone. With todays game speed you see less & less of this. Works well in college though. Most of us probably noticed this evolution. LJ & Alexander were the most recent backs who had success with this. Defensive schemes adapted to this and now you see between the tackles and playaction inside the 5. Parker's speed actually works against him at the goaline because there isn't much push or holes opened. Parker runs up the back of a OL even before he could see something develop. Parker flat footed in the backfield at the goaline doesn't equal success. This skill isn't flashy and doesn't look good on paper...It is just something that comes naturally to some people. Parker is a gamebreaker and could pile up stats....He just doesn't have the complete RB skillset to be this type of back. His athleticism makes him what he is and when his athleticism starts to decline it will be noticed. I saw allot of Russell in college. I saw less of Mendenhall but saw enough to make this conclusion. Russell & Mendenhall seem to have better vision and the ability to break arm tackles and fall forward. There is no reason for Parker to be in the game inside the 5 this year. The Steelers have better RBs for that role. I wouldn't trade Parker for the world, he just has limitations.
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Much has been made of the fact that he scored only twice last year. You never hear that he put the rock in the end zone 16 times the previous season, including 13 rushing TD's. Jerome Bettis' career high for TD's in a season? 13. Just sayin'.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

very good point Ruthless!
    https://cex.io/r/0/birtikidis/0/
    http://www.qoinpro.com/91f8fc96f7dfd461f6483ab3950deccc

I am paying for my honeymoon using bitcoins.
    1PQsjF9rQqEWF8RfPzczyqCW6ULu1nZ3iu

I refuse to pin Parkers lack of ability in the redzone on the OL. I want a back that falls foward for 3 yards. I want a guy who can move piles and create his own holes.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Good goaline backs have great RB vision and good strength to break arm tackles/move the pile. Some of these guys are great at the goaline but average at best anywhere else. The only way Parker could be utilized as a GL back is with a "Sprint-Out" sweep to the cone. With todays game speed you see less & less of this. Works well in college though. Most of us probably noticed this evolution. LJ & Alexander were the most recent backs who had success with this. Defensive schemes adapted to this and now you see between the tackles and playaction inside the 5. Parker's speed actually works against him at the goaline because there isn't much push or holes opened. Parker runs up the back of a OL even before he could see something develop. Parker flat footed in the backfield at the goaline doesn't equal success. This skill isn't flashy and doesn't look good on paper...It is just something that comes naturally to some people. Parker is a gamebreaker and could pile up stats....He just doesn't have the complete RB skillset to be this type of back. His athleticism makes him what he is and when his athleticism starts to decline it will be noticed. I saw allot of Russell in college. I saw less of Mendenhall but saw enough to make this conclusion. Russell & Mendenhall seem to have better vision and the ability to break arm tackles and fall forward. There is no reason for Parker to be in the game inside the 5 this year. The Steelers have better RBs for that role. I wouldn't trade Parker for the world, he just has limitations.
    i agree parker should definetly never be in the game at the 5 yard line or under this season. parker hits holes pretty quickly he isnt a guy that dances around, but the only thing is there has to be a hole to run into. i bet bettis wouldnt of done a whole lot better if he had a oline like the steelers did last year. i dont blame it entirely on the o-line for the goaline play last year but i blame them mostly for it. i hate the sweep when you need only a yard or so. it hardly ever works in the nfl anymore. we better not see any end arounds this year in a goaline situation either, that was the dumbest call i have ever seen in an nfl game i think, definetly the dumbest in a steelers game

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

we better not see any end arounds this year in a goaline situation either, that was the dumbest call i have ever seen in an nfl game i think, definetly the dumbest in a steelers game
    How soon we forget the naked bootleg on 3rd and long...

or going for 2 from the 12 yard line...

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Don't be surprised to see a goaline package including Sweed as the lone WR, Mendenhall, Davis, Miller, Spaeth, and ....Dixon! You know we will see that "Wrinkle" again!
    1st (T-D) Kelvin Benjamin WR
    2nd Bradley Roby CB
    3a Kareem Martin DE
    3b C.J. Fiedorowicz TE
    4th Christian Jones LB
    5a Dri Archer RB
    5b Kevin Pierre-Louis LB
    6a Beau Allen NT
    6b Shaquille Richardson CB
    7th John Brown WR

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.
    While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    Pretty much everything you described revolves around speed. Honestly his lateral movement is very average. He can be open field elusive mainly because he is so dayum fast. The comment about the sprinter doesn't really make sense because I didn't say he had no ability to run the ball. Obviously, he is a running back. But, his lack of natural running back skill is hidden by his freakish speed.
    The comment about the sprinter applies. You said "crazy blazing speed and nothing else." It was an oversimplification. Again, I generally agree with you. Further, I agree his lateral agility isn't all that great.

All I'm saying is there is a lot to the running phase of the game. Some of it Parker does well and it isn't about pure speed. For example, other backs have survived in this league by being shifty (shifting gears) and not necessarily fast. This is a skill that Parker has which some fast runners don't.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon