Legend

Re: Gary Russell...

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Haven't seen this posted yet surprisingly, so here goes:

Per Fanball.com and apparently the Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

Steelers praise Russell
    The News
    The Steelers have praised Gary Russell and believe he can develop into a "top notch" running back, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
    Our View
    Russell has a shot to make the team as a fourth running back behind Willie Parker, rookie Rashard Mendenhall, and Mewelde Moore. But he won't hold any fantasy value while fighting for scraps.

Exciting news.
    I think that's money. The problem...we have too much talent at RB. What a terrific problem to have. And let me tell you something...Moore is also a talented back. We have 4 guys that can flat out carry the rock. IMO...from a pure talent perspective...this is how the talent chart currently lies....

1) Mendenhall...complete package...can run. is fast, is powerful, terrific vision, gifted hands, the guy can also block...and is just a confident, smart guy. He can beat you inside, outside and teams will have to game plan around him. He is a true game changer.

2) Russell...yes I put him above Parker. He is a natural back, with possibly better instincts, and between the tackle running ability than Mendenhall. His vision, and patience reminds me very much of Maurice Clarett during that National Championship run.
    He has the hands to make teams also respect him in the passing game. When you need 3 tough yards I would take him over anyone on the team. Problem? Lacks elite speed...won't make people respect the corners like Mendenhall. Because Mendenhall possess the complete game...no one can stack the middle on him.

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.

4) Moore...desceptively good...terrific quickness, very good hands, but lacks power, lacks ability to be a starter. He is the epitome of a third down back. He will keep our starters fresh by playing on third down.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

....Oh man!.... This is gonna be a fun season.... We need a "college sports" forum big time!!!

...Back to topic. I do want to see Russell succeed, but haven't seen the flash that some are referencing on this level just yet... Notice that I said "just yet". But for now, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to kick Parker to the curb. Personally, I just think he hasn't been used correctly. And for that, I blame Arians. (yes, I know... We had no one else... But Arians is still to blame because I view it that way and don't like him.... My opinion and I'm sticking with it. )

Either way, it's a good problem to have, if you ask me. Let the battle in camp begin!

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

....Oh man!.... This is gonna be a fun season.... We need a "college sports" forum big time!!!

...Back to topic. I do want to see Russell succeed, but haven't seen the flash that some are referencing on this level just yet... Notice that I said "just yet". But for now, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to kick Parker to the curb. Personally, I just think he hasn't been used correctly. And for that, I blame Arians. (yes, I know... We had no one else... But Arians is still to blame because I view it that way and don't like him.... My opinion and I'm sticking with it. )

Either way, it's a good problem to have, if you ask me. Let the battle in camp begin!
    The college section suggestion was fowarded to J awhile ago...haven't heard back about it. huh. Anyways I think the people that like him base it mainly on his college play. Obviously, he hasn't proven jack at the pro level but I do like the fact that the coaches seem to like the kid.

Parker was leading the NFL (before getting hurt) last year behind a oline that had some problems of it's own. That should count for somthing.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    Parker was leading the NFL (before getting hurt) last year behind a oline that had some problems of it's own. That should count for somthing.
    Oh no...here it comes...you're in trouble now!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

The college section suggestion was fowarded to J awhile ago...haven't heard back about it. huh. Anyways I think the people that like him base it mainly on his college play. Obviously, he hasn't proven jack at the pro level but I do like the fact that the coaches seem to like the kid.
    i agree. no one can evaluate russel just based on his play in the nfl. he is in the same situation parker was in. the only time you get to see him really is in the preseason, but i think he has a lot of potential. there is nothing wrong with keeping the guy for a few years and seeing if he progresses. the little i have seen of him i have liked. he is a big guy but needs to work on his foot work and get quicker.

Pro Bowler

I think SMG said it right....what a great problem to have! Three potentially great backs.

It's going to be a fun season.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...asian07/RJ.jpg[/quote]

go to http://www.thebreastcancersite.com to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Huge thanks to AA for all the help with the signature.

Hall of Famer

3) Parker...crazy blazing speed and nothing else. Subpar vision, almost zero power running ability, outruns his blockers, lacks patience, doesn't make teams respect the middle, can't move the chains, and hands of freakin stone. The guy is a good change up back. He is a guy you put in the game when a D is tired. A pure home run hitter.
    While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

While I agree with much of this sentiment, I feel it is an unfair oversimplification. If it were true, you could replace Parker with any similarly sized division I sprinter and get the same results. Parker does a little more than pure speed. He has very nice stop and start moves and can change gears well to avoid tacklers. He has good change of direction ability. He also has some open field elusiveness. He's also very durable and for a smaller back.
    that is a very fair assesment of parker's abilities. for all the "he dosent break tackles" comments its never brought up that he makes a lot of defenders miss so there is no chance to break a tackle and he is very durable. he hasnt had many injuries at all in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    When you can't sustain a drive or run in the red zone...it doesn't mean a whole lot. What it does mean is Parker is a good change of pace back best used in late game situations.