Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stopped At Red Light...

motter1975

Re: Stopped At Red Light...

I had a really shocking and disappointing experience a few years back.

It's a Friday night here in Va Beach, and my fiance and I are out for drinks and to shoot pool. We're at our local Steelers Bar, and the Steelers preseason game is on (can't remember who we were playing). Anyway, one of the guys in the place (probably in his mid 20's) starts yelling at the TV, Steelers Suck! You all SUCK. So, I leaned over to the bartender, and asked her if the guy had any idea what kind of bar he was in (not that it's hard to miss...there's Steeler's stuff everywhere in there). She told me that she had known him for awhile, and (get this), he was BORN AND RAISED IN PITTSBURGH AND HE WAS A PATRIOTS FAN!!!!

I couldn't even look at the guy from that point on. I mean how can you grow up in Pittsburgh and not only not root for the Steelers, but root for the PATRIOTS?!?!?!?!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by motter1975

It's a Friday night here in Va Beach, and my fiance and I are out for drinks and to shoot pool. We're at our local Steelers Bar, and the Steelers preseason game is on (can't remember who we were playing). Anyway, one of the guys in the place (probably in his mid 20's) starts yelling at the TV, Steelers Suck! You all SUCK. So, I leaned over to the bartender, and asked her if the guy had any idea what kind of bar he was in (not that it's hard to miss...there's Steeler's stuff everywhere in there). She told me that she had known him for awhile, and (get this), he was BORN AND RAISED IN PITTSBURGH AND HE WAS A PATRIOTS FAN!!!!

I couldn't even look at the guy from that point on. I mean how can you grow up in Pittsburgh and not only not root for the Steelers, but root for the PATRIOTS?!?!?!?!

Maybe he was under hypnosis??

Backup

Wow! That dude was just an Ahole looking for trouble. I've run into other native Pittsburghers that were haters too. Most of them fit that same classification. Aholes suffer from a lack of attention!
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Oz, I don't question anyone's "fandom" lightly (looked for a clip of the commercial, but didn't readily find one...) unless they are Bungle fanidiots. But I get your point, and agree.

....And yes, I DO think the sound was piped in.... It was just too loud and seemingly false, IMO. Actually, I think the issue was somewhat addressed or at least mentioned after the fact.

I do feel for you. I would hate to get my groceries from the same shelves as Bengal fans!! I miss the old days of them being 1-15 or 3-13. PBS was truely Heinz Field West. But on the other hand, their ressurgence (and I use this term lightly) had made it a more festive atmosphere!!

All this "resurgence" you speak of did was wake up some loser bungle fans that had no interest in the team and suddenly caused them to take an interest. Hence the more "festive" atmosphere, its these idiots that didn't follow football til they were good (for one year). Now they think they are still good when in essence once again, yet they are a little slow and can't realize this fact.

Your exactly right!! They do have some talent on the offensive. I think they would be better if there front office was better. How do you pass up what was offered by the Redskins for a disgruntled Chad Johnson? I know Chad has "made nice" the past few days, but I don't expect the act to last long.

motter1975

Sad thing is, I ran into him at this bar several other times while we were there playing pool, and he was wearing his Patriots jersey every time. Something went seriously wrong in that kids upbringing. I wanted to go up to him and suggest counseling for the obviously deep seeded issues from his childhood, but really didn't think it would go over well.

Sad thing is, I ran into him at this bar several other times while we were there playing pool, and he was wearing his Patriots jersey every time. Something went seriously wrong in that kids upbringing. I wanted to go up to him and suggest counseling for the obviously deep seeded issues from his childhood, but really didn't think it would go over well.
    Hey this stuff happens man. I am a product of that very situation you speak of. Granted Cleveland doesn't have the same rooted winning tradition as Pittsburgh does (at least in any of our lifetimes!), but I was born and raised just outside of Cleveland yet bleed black and gold, unlike my family. So there are black sheep everywhere.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

Living in Falcons land I see as much Steelers stuff on cars as I do Falcons. I have a Steelers plate on the front and a license plate frame on the back. I get yells from other Steelers fans all the time. I put a plate on my wife's car (she's from Atlanta) and she's amazed at how often she hears 'Go Steelers'.

It's Pittsburgh South down here!!

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    I truely believe this is due to Colts fans being some of the lamest fans on the planet.
    Oz, I don't know if they are the "lamest on the planet" or not (you're around them more than I), but they definitely aren't as vocal as the Nation... I will say that I think the Colts fans have alot more class than many fan bases in the league...

...Back when we made our Super Bowl run a few years ago, I took my dad to the Monday night game in Indy (we lost, unfortunately...). My dad had never been to an indoor game, nor a Monday night game, so it was a good experience for him... Anyway, the fans were extremely respectful and friendly. My connection in the Indy PR dept gave us seats amongst the Steeler families and we sat right next to Dan Kreiders' folks and my dad chatted with his dad throughout the game. No problems anywhere from parking, to walking to the stadium, to being inside at the game. ... That certainly is NOT the case everywhere, but I definitely tip my cap to thier behavior at that event.
    I think it's a matter of which fans you run into in each group... on the way to the MNF game in Indy (the big loss before our SB run) I had lots of trash talk... they even stood in the street in front of our car (my buddy with the Colts tix was a little worred)... they were not very intimidating, though... sorta like your kid trying "man up" against you... i laughed.

(And of course, MY son... he's punched me - he's 5 and has some 'nads on him).
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Hall of Famer

i cant hate on fans that live in other places, at least they represent their team. im always rocking black in gold in new england, but its different for steeler fans because they are all over the country. its amazing the ammount of steeler fans that are in vermont and the rest of new england. i was actually at the airport in atlanta and saw a hot girl with a troy polamolu purse, it was so cool it had the 43 and the name like a jersey style. i told my fiance that its her next gift she gets from me.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    i cant hate on fans that live in other places, at least they represent their team.
    I, for the most part, agree with you. In 2004 and the first few games of the 2005 season, at the sportsbar I go to when the Steelers are on, there was a sudden increase in Bengals fans. Now, these fans are no where to be found. Now, there are a bunch of Pats fans. I suspect they are band wagon jumpers.

The fans of other teams that I personally see each week that I trust as being true fans are Packer fans (they have the accent). The beligerant Raider fans. And this one dude that comes each week wearing a Thurman Thomas jersey to watch the Bills play. This person comes alone, talks to nobody, and watches a small TV in the corner that doesn't have the sound playing. He has been doing this all season for the past 3-4 seasons. I respect that he comes each week. The Bills are often not playing for much after week 11.