Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

[url="http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/29/dolphins-packers-steelers-lions-show-interest-in-kevin-jones/"]http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/ ... vin-jones/[/url]

If there was an icon with the small yellow dude scratching his head I would insert here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

Maybe they're not as impressed with Gary Russell as people think?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    That would certainly go against early reports about Russell. It could mean the Steelers want to trade Parker. It could also mean they want some additional comp in training camp. I can't imagine Jones will command a huge price tag.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was looking for a recent article that I read talking about Russell....couldn't find it. I believe it was Wexell who thought Russell took a huge leap...increased muscle mass, running harder, faster etc. I think Wexell has as much love for Russell's game as I do. I do not think Jones could make this squad personally. If the Steelers are truely interested it would to push Russell and Moore...IMO. It could also give them freedom to trade Parker (less likely). I would personally think a Jones signing would put more pressure on Moore...than Russell.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I recall seeing the article about Russell but when I read something like that I keep in mind that he's doing those things in practice and not against opponents in a contest that means something in the W-L column. I'd like for him to be successful (of course) because I'm a Steelers fan but I'm not going to get too excited about him until I see him suited up and playing on game days.

I agree that a Parker trade is highly unlikely but I disagree that it puts more pressure on Moore. He's a guy who's been in the league and shown he can produce. Russell still hasn't done that.

I don't know how much KJ brings to the table, but I really suspect this may be an indication that the Steelers still haven't seen enough out of Russell. Of course I'm not in on meetings or at practices so the best I can do is speculate as a fan.

Legend

User Info Menu

I recall seeing the article about Russell but when I read something like that I keep in mind that he's doing those things in practice and not against opponents in a contest that means something in the W-L column. I'd like for him to be successful (of course) because I'm a Steelers fan but I'm not going to get too excited about him until I see him suited up and playing on game days.

I agree that a Parker trade is highly unlikely but I disagree that it puts more pressure on Moore. He's a guy who's been in the league and shown he can produce. Russell still hasn't done that.

I don't know how much KJ brings to the table, but I really suspect this may be an indication that the Steelers still haven't seen enough out of Russell. Of course I'm not in on meetings or at practices so the best I can do is speculate as a fan.
    I certainly concede that point. With that said, didn't Russell lead the NFL in rushing last preseason? That was an out of shape, out of football Russell. When given serious chances to run, Russell has definately shown up to play. While you could be right about the Steelers feelings about Russell...I don't believe their perceived interest in Jones means they don't love Russell. They will bring in another RB to compete...I truely believe that. They like to push the new guys. While I'm not ready to throw Russell into the rotation...I am truely excited about a guy who was a first round talent not getting drafted and landing in Pittsburgh. If and I say if the Steelers cut Russell...I truely believe that will come back to haunt them.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers look at Jones was nothing more than cursory. Jones might be an option if something happens to someone before or at the upcoming camp. That could be why they took a look IMO.
    http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg141...erpics/sth.jpg

"Success Is Determined By Attitude."
    AS Rocks

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy

I certainly concede that point. With that said, didn't Russell lead the NFL in rushing last preseason? That was an out of shape, out of football Russell. When given serious chances to run, Russell has definately shown up to play. While you could be right about the Steelers feelings about Russell...I don't believe their perceived interest in Jones means they don't love Russell. They will bring in another RB to compete...I truely believe that. They like to push the new guys. While I'm not ready to throw Russell into the rotation...I am truely excited about a guy who was a first round talent not getting drafted and landing in Pittsburgh. If and I say if the Steelers cut Russell...I truely believe that will come back to haunt them.
    Don't get me wrong my friend...I want to see him succeed too and I was pleased to see what he did last preseason as well. I'm just speculating is all.

It could be as you and SteelHoss say...they're only interested in him as a body to push what they have.

LasVegasGuy

I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.
    Parker is under contract and has accomplished far more than Jones ever has...why would they do that?