Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers interested in Kevin Jones.

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2tmci2m9
    Maybe they're not as impressed with Gary Russell as people think?
    I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.
    Parker is under contract and has accomplished far more than Jones ever has...why would they do that?[/quote:2tmci2m9]

indeed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Maybe they're not as impressed with Gary Russell as people think?
    I certainly don't see the lovefest with Gary Russell or maybe they aren't impressed with Willie Parker? I might take a Jones - Mendenhall over a Parker - Mendenhall.
    I'll take any Steeler back over Jones. What has he ever done? He is damaged goods. Not good for a RB given that really good ones only last about 5 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    It could also mean they want some additional comp in training camp. I can't imagine Jones will command a huge price tag.
    I was thinking the same thing, and the more competition the better, IMO. ... But they must trim the roster to 80 prior to camp, so the selections better be damn good for the said competition...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

All things considered, I like it.

It's a continuation of the departure from past habits of not entertaining other possibilities or players. The old mindset kept guys like Staley & Lee Mays on this team longer than they deserved. The old mindset probably wouldn't have cut Najeh or Wilson, or Colclough for that matter, whereas Tomlin seems willing to pull the trigger on such moves. In the end we don't know if the interest is genuine or if it's just tire-kicking, either way there's no harm in checking him out or sending another subtle message to the others in case they missed the one involving Davenport.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    All things considered, I like it.

It's a continuation of the departure from past habits of not entertaining other possibilities or players. The old mindset kept guys like Staley & Lee Mays on this team longer than they deserved. The old mindset probably wouldn't have cut Najeh or Wilson, or Colclough for that matter, whereas Tomlin seems willing to pull the trigger on such moves. In the end we don't know if the interest is genuine or if it's just tire-kicking, either way there's no harm in checking him out or sending another subtle message to the others in case they missed the one involving Davenport.
    Agreed.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I personally can't stand Kevin Jones ever since he dissed PSU for Va Tech, so it is almost impossible for me to be objective.

Objectively speaking, he has never lived up to his potential IMO and especially with this injury, I don't see him being that good.

I also see him wanting to sign a 1 year deal to prove himself to bridge to a bigger, longer term deal -- and I don't see the Steelers giving him that opportunity.

I also think it would be as a Russell replacement not Parker.

I don't know where his workout was, but maybe the Steelers scout had a girlfriend in that area and just wanted some action -- on expense.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I also think it would be as a Russell replacement not Parker.
    Agreed.... And I also don't think it will happen either....

Backup

User Info Menu

Maybe they're just window shopping or a tire kicking sorta thing... With the release of Dumper, perhaps they are just testing the waters. I find it hard to believe after this years draft, and free agency aquiring Moore, as well as Parker's success, albeit opinionated by many at that, would claim a serious inquiry in Jones. IMO...

Any news on the Booger deal or any additional help for the O-line side of things would be of more interest to me, anyway... I'm all for bringing Kreider back actually.
    [url="http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg1416/a"]http://www.planetsteelers.com/cpg1416/a[/url] ... ics/ky.jpg

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kennyes
    Any news on the Booger deal or any additional help for the O-line side of things would be of more interest to me, anyway

I don't believe the Booger signing will take place. He worked out for several teams a few weeks ago & the Steelers didn't attend, unfortunately.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kevin Jones is a local kid...That is the only think I could come up with. It does puzzle me why they were there.