Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers cut 4

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers cut 4

Steelers Release Four Players, Trim Roster to 82

PITTSBURGH ? The Steelers released four players today, including veteran running back Najeh Davenport, trimming the club’s roster to 82.

Davenport, a six-year veteran, rushed for 499 yards and five touchdowns on 107 carries (4.7 avg.) and caught 18 passes for 184 yards (10.2 avg.) and two scores in 2007. He also returned seven kickoffs for 123 yards (17.6 avg.).

During his two seasons with the Steelers, Davenport rushed for 763 yards and seven touchdowns on 175 carries (4.4 avg.) and caught 33 passes for 394 yards (11.9 avg.) and three scores. He returned 28 kickoffs for 571 yards (20.4 avg.).

The Steelers also released safety Mike Lorello, first-year long snapper Jared Retkofsky and rookie offensive lineman Doug Legursky. Lorello, who originally signed with the Steelers as an undrafted rookie in 2006, spent parts of the past two seasons on Pittsburgh’s practice squad.

All NFL teams must trim their rosters to 80 players prior to the start of training camp.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

BIG FAN

Re: Steelers cut 4

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hate to hear that Lorello was cut......

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Hate to see Mike Lorello get cut. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

Retkofsky isn't a surprise. Warren already has a lock on the LS gig.

Legursky is a little surprising, however. He didn't even make it to camp. I realize that the roster must be down to 80 before the guys report. But they could have found a warm spot for Mahan on that list, couldn't they?
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

SeaOracle

You guys made big news with these cuts. But maybe they're not such a big deal, aye?

SO

Legend

User Info Menu

Tell that to Eltrain...SO.

I am very surprised that Lorello was cut this early.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

eltrain posted this on the other board yesterday. he's actually glad they cut him now because he can get a workout in with other teams before camp rather than during camp. gives him some options.
    wish we would have kept him though...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    eltrain posted this on the other board yesterday. he's actually glad they cut him now because he can get a workout in with other teams before camp rather than during camp. gives him some options.
    wish we would have kept him though...
    The Steelers did Mike a favor by cutting him this early. It gives him options that would have been rushed or non-existent had he been cut during camp. Now he has the luxury of taking a good hard look at teams who might need DB or ST help and he will be in pursuit of them instead of the other way around.

If he wants to play, he's probably assembling his list now and telling his agent to get in contact with these teams. That's a great luxury for him and a tribute to the Steelers who were at least up front enough to tell him where he stood early enough in the process that he could call his own shot.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Will Mike end up in AZ? :P

eltrain

sorry I did not post on here about Mike's situation earlier...I'm getting old and I forgot my password....

we appreciate all the support for Mike over the last few months on this new board...it is much appreciated...

Mike is feeling very upbeat about the situation...although he is dissappointed the Steelers did not see fit to keep him he does thank them, as some have said on this board, for releasing him early so that his agent can work on other opportunities for him....he will be on waivers for three days starting tomorrow and then his agent can begin making calls to other teams on Thursday....

with all that said, Mike is thinking it may be time to move on....he has lived a dream so few football players get a chance to do and is very thankful for that....and even though he loves the game, Mike is a realist and knows there are many factors that go into a team placing you on their roster...maybe his position with the Steelers was just not the right fir because of the personnel they have......drafting Ryan Mundy, who is an excellent player by the way, was a pretty good indication as to where they saw Mike in the scheme of things....

so the next couple of weeks will be interesting....Mike is already talking about returning to school to get his masters which he would have done even if he had made the roster...and as a father, that makes me very happy...

we are proud of our son....he has given us memories that every parent wishes for and it has been a wonderful ride....

if Mike is picked up by another team I will let you know....and again, thanks for all your good wishes for Mike...I wish he had the opportunity to thank each of you in person....you all take care and God Bless...