Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this help explain the running game issues a little ?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Does this help explain the running game issues a little ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Ben obviously has naked pics of msm in precarious positions, that's the only explanation.

And willie must've literally pi$$ed in his wheaties to deserve his wrath.

Ha, funny stuff!!! I will give no flack to anyone's opinion, but I'm on board with MSM. I wouldn't trade Ben for another QB in the league & I'm not saying I want to see FWP get cut, but I'm thrilled that he will have some help this year. He is to all or nothing for my liking.....
    Ha yeah, I'm just playing with msm of course.

I am in the Ben corner for sure, nobody I would rather have. And the best thing about willie, is even HE welcomes the help and is endorsing rashard. You can't be against that.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Backup

User Info Menu

You guys are sometimes tough on me. This is about the Steeler running Game, not Ben.

at any rate, If Mendy's only problem is fumbling, well its not like we haven't been there before. I think Parker has 15 fumbles in last 3 years or something like that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Smartmonies
    I

1st down #11
    2nd down #11
    3rd down #2
    Red Zone #12

[/quote]
    MSM,
    Our running game was SO dominant in 04, I have a hard time believing we only "ranked" 11th on 1st and 2nd down. Can you explain where you got these stats.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think Willie is a part of the problem, not the best at getting the tough yards inside, but the o-line appeared to be the bigger issue to me.

What I don't uderstand is why Ben gets criticised for holding on to the ball too long, "trying to force the big play" when he is consistantly put in 2nd and 9 or third and 8 situations... He more often than not NEEDED to make those big plays.

Another AS masterpiece.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    I

1st down #11
    2nd down #11
    3rd down #2
    Red Zone #12

MSM,
    Our running game was SO dominant in 04, I have a hard time believing we only "ranked" 11th on 1st and 2nd down. Can you explain where you got these stats.[/quote]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Run game was dominant to a point. But a lot of the rushing was yards racked up in the 2nd half after the pass got us a lead (Pass Ranking #5 on 1st down in 2004 within these stats) Here is more information regarding 2004.

Week 4 Oct 3 W 28-17 vs Cincinnati Bengals//pitt had lead at half
    Week 5 Oct 10 W 34-23 vs Cleveland Browns// pitt lead at half 27 1st half pts!
    Week 6 Oct 17 W 24-20 at Dallas Cowboys // roethlisberger goes 21 for 25 against Parcells
    Week 7 Bye Week
    Week 8 Oct 31 W 34-20 vs New England Patriots //Pitt had 24-10 lead at half, 17 1st half off pts
    Week 9 Nov 7 W 27-3 vs Philadelphia Eagles //pitt lead at half 21 1st half pts!
    Week 10 Nov 14 W 24-10 at Cleveland Browns // pitt lead 14-3 at half
    Week 11 Nov 21 W 19-14 at Cincinnati Bengals // one of few game , they had no lead at half
    Week 12 Nov 28 W 16-7 vs Washington Redskins // pitt leads 10-0 at half
    Week 13 Dec 5 W 17-16 at Jacksonville Jaguars //pitt leads at half- game winning drive by roeth
    Week 14 Dec 12 W 17-6 vs New York Jets // pitt small lead at half
    Week 15 Dec 18 W 33-30 at New York Giants //pitt lead at half 20 1st half points!
    Week 16 Dec 26 W 20-7 vs Baltimore Ravens //pitt lead at half

2004 bettis

rushing yards by QTR

1st 165
    2nd 233
    3rd 217
    4th 326 Illustrates that the rushing yards were racked up after Ben Got them the lead.

2005 Parker

1st QTR 226
    2nd QTR 236
    3rd QTR 491 once again the rushing yards were racked up in 2nd half

2004 Roethlisberger passer rating by QTr and amount of attempts

1st QTR 104% 76 pass attempts
    2nd qtr 97% 91 pass attempts
    3rd QTR 71% 63 pass attempts
    4th QTR 118% 65 pass attempts

As you can see above, this ultra efficiecy in the 1st half enable the steelers to be
    able to take leads in the 1sthalf and then run the ball in the 2nd half. You can even
    see the drop in pass attempts from the first half to the 2nd half.

Why didn't this work the year before with Maddox? well as you can se below, Maddox was
    unable to duplicate the ultra efficiency of Roethlisberger in the 1st QTR. Therefore Madox had to throw the ball more to make up for the incompletions. He also had to throw the bal more because roethlisberger nearly doubled up his yards per attempt avg over maddox avg in the 1st QTr. The difference between 6.5 yPa and 11.3 is an incredible difference.

2003 maddox

1st Qtr passer rating = 77
    completion percentage = 56%
    yards per attempt = 6.5

2004 roethlisberger

1st QTR passer rating = 104%
    completion percentage = 67%
    Yards per attempt = 11.3

2004 steelers passed early and did it so efficently that they rarely had to pass in the
    2nd half. That's why they went 15-1. no other team could take a rookie QB and run the
    ball as much as Pittsburgh did, cause their has never been a rookie QB average 8.9 yards
    per attempt which is completely off the charts.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am a well-known Parker waffler.

That being said, as a Steeler fan - regardless of how I feel about Parker -- I have to HOPE that Mendy is good enough to unseat him.

We spent a first round pick on him when we had other glaring needs and probably massive trade down potential.

I have to hope that he is TOO GOOD to keep out of the starting line up.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Smartmonies":3ood25ou
    I

1st down #11
    2nd down #11
    3rd down #2
    Red Zone #12

MSM,
    Our running game was SO dominant in 04, I have a hard time believing we only "ranked" 11th on 1st and 2nd down. Can you explain where you got these stats.[/quote:3ood25ou]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Run game was dominant to a point. But a lot of the rushing was yards racked up in the 2nd half after the pass got us a lead (Pass Ranking #5 on 1st down in 2004 within these stats) Here is more information regarding 2004.

Week 4 Oct 3 W 28-17 vs Cincinnati Bengals//pitt had lead at half
    Week 5 Oct 10 W 34-23 vs Cleveland Browns// pitt lead at half 27 1st half pts!
    Week 6 Oct 17 W 24-20 at Dallas Cowboys // roethlisberger goes 21 for 25 against Parcells
    Week 7 Bye Week
    Week 8 Oct 31 W 34-20 vs New England Patriots //Pitt had 24-10 lead at half, 17 1st half off pts
    Week 9 Nov 7 W 27-3 vs Philadelphia Eagles //pitt lead at half 21 1st half pts!
    Week 10 Nov 14 W 24-10 at Cleveland Browns // pitt lead 14-3 at half
    Week 11 Nov 21 W 19-14 at Cincinnati Bengals // one of few game , they had no lead at half
    Week 12 Nov 28 W 16-7 vs Washington Redskins // pitt leads 10-0 at half
    Week 13 Dec 5 W 17-16 at Jacksonville Jaguars //pitt leads at half- game winning drive by roeth
    Week 14 Dec 12 W 17-6 vs New York Jets // pitt small lead at half
    Week 15 Dec 18 W 33-30 at New York Giants //pitt lead at half 20 1st half points!
    Week 16 Dec 26 W 20-7 vs Baltimore Ravens //pitt lead at half

2004 bettis

rushing yards by QTR

1st 165
    2nd 233
    3rd 217
    4th 326 Illustrates that the rushing yards were racked up after Ben Got them the lead.

2005 Parker

1st QTR 226
    2nd QTR 236
    3rd QTR 491 once again the rushing yards were racked up in 2nd half

2004 Roethlisberger passer rating by QTr and amount of attempts

1st QTR 104% 76 pass attempts
    2nd qtr 97% 91 pass attempts
    3rd QTR 71% 63 pass attempts
    4th QTR 118% 65 pass attempts

As you can see above, this ultra efficiecy in the 1st half enable the steelers to be
    able to take leads in the 1sthalf and then run the ball in the 2nd half. You can even
    see the drop in pass attempts from the first half to the 2nd half.

Why didn't this work the year before with Maddox? well as you can se below, Maddox was
    unable to duplicate the ultra efficiency of Roethlisberger in the 1st QTR. Therefore Madox had to throw the ball more to make up for the incompletions. He also had to throw the bal more because roethlisberger nearly doubled up his yards per attempt avg over maddox avg in the 1st QTr. The difference between 6.5 yPa and 11.3 is an incredible difference.

2003 maddox

1st Qtr passer rating = 77
    completion percentage = 56%
    yards per attempt = 6.5

2004 roethlisberger

1st QTR passer rating = 104%
    completion percentage = 67%
    Yards per attempt = 11.3

2004 steelers passed early and did it so efficently that they rarely had to pass in the
    2nd half. That's why they went 15-1. no other team could take a rookie QB and run the
    ball as much as Pittsburgh did, cause their has never been a rookie QB average 8.9 yards
    per attempt which is completely off the charts.
    Can you be a little more specific? Great post MSM. I understand what you're saying. My thoughts are you have to be able to run the ball like the Steelers did in 2004 & 05 for that matter, when teams know that you are going to run the ball. They were amazing in the 2nd half. Last year when they needed a big run on 3rd and 1 or 2, they couldn't pick it up./ In the 2008 NFL, teams throw to set up the run, not vice versa.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.